Normani - 'DOPAMINE'

zeta

Charts zero songs on Global / USA Spotify.... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nooniebao

• Ethereal

• Cap87

• popularmoonlight

the debut won't be too pretty but im enjoying this album too much for sales to ruin it

gonna add a zero to the first week figure in my mind i fear

spacer.png

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Space&Time said:

Hate to complain, but now that I am listening on streaming services the mixing on this project leaves a lot to be desired. "Still" is a BOP and it just needs more umph in the mix. I guess I have no choice but to get over it.

The album sounds noticably better with Apple Music lossless (with my wired earphones) vs on Spotify

like Spotify sounds fine over speakers but it's a bit muffled and flat compared to Apple Music

• Like 1

Why are there no physicals ready for this? It might not help sales a crazy amount but for record labels to just cut off that source is weird. 

Ive been noticing this with black artists the past few years. Doja didn't have physicals ready for Planet Her and then only had cds I think for Scarlet. Lil Nas X never had any physical releases for Montero. Those were all pretty big releases, so it doesn't make any sense. Why aren't labels supporting them?

Edited by Paultea
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Paultea said:

Why are there no physicals ready for this? It might not help sales a crazy amount but for record labels to just cut off that source is weird. 

Ive been noticing this with black artists the past few years. Doja didn't have physicals ready for Planet Her and then only had cds I think for Scarlet. Lil Nas X never had any physical releases for Montero. Those were all pretty big releases, so it doesn't make any sense. Why aren't labels supporting them?

Normani's tracklist was finalized last minute

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Charts zero songs on Global / USA Spotify.... 

was anyone expecting it to?

she released a great body of music. Let's enjoy it. Clearly they don't care about the chart , why should we? 

enjoy the music 

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, nooniebao said:

Normani's tracklist was finalized last minute

Loving the album and the positive response, so don't wanna bring down the vibe. 

But at the same time, I'm really beginning to wonder what the true tea is with her whole setup.

We know how labels can be and most of us have followed all the intricate corners of her story. Keep Cool folding, S10 departure, family health issues etc. All ish we've given her grace for when it comes to the delays.

However, I'm starting to think this whole "perfectionist" spiel she peddles may really be an issue-issue when it comes to label-mandated deadlines and the overall label relationship.

Working on the album right until the final moment is typically a thing you hear from the huge acts who are assured a certain # of sales out of the gate (Bey, Kanye etc).

For the wait and the general story around Mani, everything really ought to have been turned in a long while ago to truly strategize and optimize (from focus singles, videos, to physical units). 

That said, throwing our girl a bone, I'd be happy to disregard ALL of the above if the plan always was to go digital first (which others have pointed out tends to be a thing for RCA's non-prioritized acts) and drop physicals later. 

In a way, the latter makes sense as everything about the release so far presents as a soft launch. One that seems self-aware that it's not going to be a big seller out of the gate or at all. 

I just hope, in regards of this, that all involved (especially the label) have it in the plan to work this for the long haul and have a long strategy for her "launch". Dopamine being the first piece and her introduction of sorts and there's a concrete plan/timeline for album #2 being the "arrival-arrival".

• Like 2

Is there really no type of promo (outside publications) planned? 

rca is so dumb. when this debuts below the top 40 on the BB200 they need to reflect on their lack of promo. didnt even serve some radio play, playlisting or a music video for this album.

• Like 5

this is a pretty great debut for her. i do wish it had 1 or 2 more Take My Times tho, she does that vibe SO well

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

the debut won't be too pretty but im enjoying this album too much for sales to ruin it

gonna add a zero to the first week figure in my mind i fear

spacer.png

Wait sis I  no math girl but what if you add a zero to zero???

still 0 right !?

lmfao idgaf cuz the album is EPIC tbh I've been WHORING it since it came out 

• Thumbs Down 1

13 minutes ago, Cbreezy said:

But at the same time, I'm really beginning to wonder what the true tea is with her whole setup.

We know how labels can be and most of us have followed all the intricate corners of her story. Keep Cool folding, S10 departure, family health issues etc. All ish we've given her grace for when it comes to the delays.

However, I'm starting to think this whole "perfectionist" spiel she peddles may really be an issue-issue when it comes to label-mandated deadlines and the overall label relationship.

Working on the album right until the final moment is typically a thing you hear from the huge acts who are assured a certain # of sales out of the gate (Bey, Kanye etc).

For the wait and the general story around Mani, everything really ought to have been turned in a long while ago to truly strategize and optimize (from focus singles, videos, to physical units). 

That said, throwing our girl a bone, I'd be happy to disregard ALL of the above if the plan always was to go digital first (which others have pointed out tends to be a thing for RCA's non-prioritized acts) and drop physicals later. 

In a way, the latter makes sense as everything about the release so far presents as a soft launch. One that seems self-aware that it's not going to be a big seller out of the gate or at all. 

I just hope, in regards of this, that all involved (especially the label) have it in the plan to work this for the long haul and have a long strategy for her "launch". Dopamine being the first piece and her introduction of sorts and there's a concrete plan/timeline for album #2 being the "arrival-arrival".

Well considering the fact that RCA made her self fund most of the Wild Side video and weren't even going to release the single until Cardi used her clout to force their hand, I think they are (much of) the problem

Yes, there are a ton of free/low budget things that Normani and her team should be doing to promote but it seems like RCA is being really cheap and negligent

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, popularmoonlight said:

Is there really no type of promo (outside publications) planned? 

I have received spotify banner and mail for the album 

29 minutes ago, Cbreezy said:

Even the bigger acts on RCA haven't had physical copies ready to go upon release week tbh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlleeX said:

if we're talking about a dream rollout imo it would've been:

1. wild side
2. take my time early 2022 with great visuals
3. 1:59 apr-may 2022 (no need for a video)
4. album june 2022 with candy paint being released with a full budget video and remix prepared with a female rapper (doja ideally)

This! I'll probably replace take my time with all yours. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nooniebao said:

Even the bigger acts on RCA haven't had physical copies ready to go upon release week tbh.

Yeah. I don't understand why people keep making this a her issue when distribution is the labels job. That's a well known issue with RCA.

5 minutes ago, nooniebao said:

Justin Timberlake is on RCA and had vinyls and CDs available. Tems released a week before Normani and had CDs ready. Normani editing the album way too late is probably why she didn't have any available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paultea said:

RCA is always late with physicals when it comes to R&B artists.

SZA - SOS
Bryson Tiller - Bryson Tiller
Doja Cat - Scarlet
Steve Lacy - Gemini Rights
Jazmine Sullivan - Heaux Tales
H.E.R - Back Of My Mind
Chris Brown - 11:11

Are some recent examples of records that didn't have physicals on release (at least not vinyl, not sure about cds, but barely anyone buys those anyway).

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Friendlyreminder said:

Well considering the fact that RCA made her self fund most of the Wild Side video and weren't even going to release the single until Cardi used her clout to force their hand, I think they are (much of) the problem

Yes, there are a ton of free/low budget things that Normani and her team should be doing to promote but it seems like RCA is being really cheap and negligent

I hear you, but it's kinda tricky terrain. 

I'm Team Mani first and foremost, but context is key. 

(I'm not sure how accurate the self-funded aspect of Wild Side thing is as Mani herself said Cardi's scene, in light of her last-minute verse, ramped up the budget in a way that made the label antsy. Indicating they paid for it or at least a significant portion). 

That said, assuming she paid out of pocket or sourced sponsorships to "fund most of" the cost, she shared that it was a 1 million dollar video. It watches like one, but at the same time can we fault RCA for not splashing that kind of budget on what ultimately functions as a "new act"? They probably weren't even spending that on a Doja at the time. 

Laying out all the elements on the table, I get the sense that there's a kind of impasse/conflict in approach between Mani and the label.

She IS and wants to present as a premium talent, so would sooner blow her likely-limited budget on immaculate output (e.g. Wild Side, Motivation videos). Probably at the expense of what budgets are usually used for (like "decent enough" videos, playlisting, radio, etc). The label, by contrast, are fiscally minded and will be looking at a return on investment for the most part. So probably aren't in line with what to them is a "spend spend spend" mantra from Mani. it's not like she's even tried and proven on the live circuit and making them buckets of $$$ back via festivals or brand deals (assuming she's on a 360 deal). So, much as I hate to say it, from this view, I kind of "get" the label's positioning too.

I literally have friends who work at labels, so have really brought me up to speed on how project budgets work interally. Literally on a campaign, single, and video level. And upon doing so, Mani was the first person that came to mind about how and why things (at that time) were at a standstill. 

It's jarring in a way because she's a talent that a label should go above and beyond with. Even if it means working the campaign at a $$$ loss in looking at the long-term benefits of what she "could" become for them e.g. a superstar. It's even more jarring when realizing that labels will do it for less talented acts (sorry, but an early Rihanna, for example). Essentially, pumping crazy $$$$ into the push til it catches and starts making $$$$ on its own accord.

Thankfully for Normani, the response feels great and I hope that at the very least) can translate into something. Either commercially or in terms of pivot to being more a critic's darling (which is an angle every label today likes to have with a handful of their artists).

• Like 9

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.