Why is B'Day overlooked compared to Beyonce's other albums?

Josh

such an underrated album, flaws and all is my jam.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Josh

• bielneira

• Kimi

• Fleahive

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt agree with it. If anything I saw a lot of praise for it during CC release and a lot of people posting it on their top 3 albums. I think her later albums definitely have overshadowed it in the public's mind but stans still regard it highly. I'd even say too highly in some cases where people want her to return to her early rnb sound.

It's better than Lemonade and The Gift for sure :michael:

34 minutes ago, Josh said:

Why do they like I Am...Filler though? it's bottom of the barrel

white bachelorettes would be nothing without Single Ladies

• Haha 2

It's not overlooked by the fanbase, at least not the thirty-somethings AKA the OG hive.

It wasn't even overlooked by critics at the time. In fact, it was her first fairly critically acclaimed album of her solo career. I mean, it was as acclaimed as a pop girl release could be back in the mid-00s p4k cutlure.

If it is largely overlooked these days it's because she has evolved and that album is no longer the benchmark anymore. It also was considered a commercial sophomore slump so the casual listener will barely remember the era beyond maybe Irreplaceable. 

7 minutes ago, Soda Pop Queen said:

It's not overlooked by the fanbase, at least not the thirty-somethings AKA the OG hive.

It wasn't even overlooked by critics at the time. In fact, it was her first fairly critically acclaimed album of her solo career. I mean, it was as acclaimed as a pop girl release could be back in the mid-00s p4k cutlure.

If it is largely overlooked these days it's because she has evolved and that album is no longer the benchmark anymore. It also was considered a commercial sophomore slump so the casual listener will barely remember the era beyond maybe Irreplaceable. 

4 was a commercial slump and it's considered one of her signature releases

I think it's properly rated. A lot of people agree it's the best of her early efforts with much less filler than I Am... Matthew Knowles (and even Dangerously in Love). It just feels a bit inessential now compared with the elevated bodies of work she's created from 2013 on

Before 4, Bday was seen as her best album back then

It basically was overshadowed by everything she dropped in the 2010s and 2020s

Her newer albums are much better than all her earlier work

It's still a good 00s album

It's my most played Bey album I fear

i wouldn't say underrated but i will say deja vu, upgrade u, & freakum dress are career highlights

spacer.png

Your guess is as good as mine. It's one of her best and I'd love for her to return to that sound. Ring the Alarm is still that angsty bop :gaycatney2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

its definitely appreciated among the Hive and most consider it her most underrated album. there are so many bops and the standard edition (really the only version to listen to) is a fun, explosive set where she really shows off her vocals and that classic high energy sasha fierce energy. 

i think its a bit forgotten because she also never performs any of the songs from it. she stopped performing irreplaceable a long time ago, didn't perform BL until last year, and hits like deja vu, check on it, get me bodied, and upgrade u she also left in the past

I think people just assumed her first 3 albums were chops thanks to I Am Sucha Noise. Everything that came after 4 were solid bodies of work, IASF was a stop gap... B'Day would have been included that run if it went B'Day -> 4 -> BEYONCÉ -> Lemonade -> Renaissance -> Cowboy Carter

Edited by Starshine
  • Haha 1

Isn't it the fan favourite album? Even Azealia likes it. 

Its at least my fave album by her. Ring The Alarm is a BOP. 

Green Light, Freakum Dress, and Deja Vu were robbed of being performed during Renaissance.

I think the mission was clear and simple - after having a successful solo debut, she wanted to make a follow-up album that was full of bops (and videos) to beef up her catalogue and keep the momentum going. Because of the albums that followed were stronger in concept, it makes Bday feel like fluff. Also, isn't this the album that was recorded in two weeks?? 

1 hour ago, bielneira said:

It's decent, and definitely better than 'I Am...Sasha Fierce' and 'Dangerously In Love'.

LZBVHPa.gif

MTE. It's a cute album, better than those but not as good as everything she has done after IASF. 

Just now, alfonso12 said:

MTE. It's a cute album, better than those but not as good as everything she has done after IASF. 

I totally agree. '4' was her turning point, and it was only after that she proved herself as a true artist imo.

It deserves ALL the praise it gets. Freekum Dress, God Light and Kitty Kat alone clear entire discographies.

Thank you.

love and hip hop #steviejandjoseline GIF by VH1

• Like 1

I describe BDay as good with moments of great, but nothing about the album stuck besides irreplaceable. It's loud and funky and I would love to see the songs performed live but on my own, I don't revisit the album versions much. I enjoy most of the tracks but it feels like it's just a collection of mostly uptempos and upper belts. I blame her recording it all in just a few weeks.

yes her performances in this era were damn near unmatched. She was hungry on stage and likely to combust by the end, that we all can agree. Just the music on its own tho isn't particularly inspired besides the instrumentation, I suppose. At least with IASF she attempted to go a little deeper, thematically, even if it had mixed reception.

Truly nothing before 4 comes anywhere near being her best work but I understand why many do enjoy. I thought it was fun you know, I like the beat! So….yeah. :gaycat4:

Because people lack taste. It was her best album up until she released Renaissance. 

• Like 1

The way this album has no skips

B'Day is a too complex kind of a masterpiece for people to understand

• Like 1

B´Day is my favorite Beyoncé album

if you know, you know

Oprah Winfrey Concert GIF by CBS

• Like 1

Because The remixes are better than the album versions probably 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.