David Harewood says actors should be allowed to wear blackface

glitch

Harewood is also concerned about where identity politics could be headed. "We're at this strange point in the profession where people go: 'Oh, you can't play that role because you're not disabled, or you can't play that because you're not really from there.' The name of the game is acting. Yes, we've got to be representative, but I do think we have to be careful … That even extends to Othello in blackface. I say, if you want to black up, have at it, man. It'd better be ******* good, or else you're gonna get laughed off the stage. But knock yourself out! Anybody should be able to do anything."

Article

Sure. Go head and do it no one is stopping you but also be prepared to get maybe punched in the face lmao. 

yikes…. so weird and gross.

Harewood clarified: "I don't support or condone Blackface. My own documentary on the subject can be found on the BBC website. It is a grotesque distortion of race and should always be condemned."

so what's the take here? 

can we Black up or can't we black up? 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Lovett said:

3 minutes ago, Fancyhoodlum said:

Harewood clarified: "I don't support or condone Blackface. My own documentary on the subject can be found on the BBC website. It is a grotesque distortion of race and should always be condemned."

so what's the take here? 

Hmmm yeah this seems more like "Oops I shouldn't have said that" rather than "My words were taken out of context, here's what I actually meant".

Edited by glitch

don't give Scarlett Johansson any ideas now

• Haha 1

This the same guy who has spent his entire career crying about having to move to America due to a lack of opportunity for black actors in the UK.

Black up? Dumbass. 

• Like 1

The fact that this looks like someone in blackface is crazy :rip:

spacer.png

• Thumbs Down 3

Thank you, Tom. You can go now.

Is this the Candace Owens of the UK?

8 hours ago, Fancyhoodlum said:

so what's the take here? 

"clarified" = immediately backpedalled :ryan3:

• Haha 1

I thought the name sounded familiar, but I couldn't place the face. Seeing him just makes it all the more bizarre. Does he not realize the roots of blackface and what it represents? He just can't; and it's, indeed, a sad day if he does. Very disappointing.

Oh look a tap dancer!

Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.