UK passes bill to send asylum seekers to Rwanda

Kitty Kat

Rishi Sunak's Rwanda deportation bill will become law after peers eventually backed down on amending it, opening the way for legal battles over the potential removal of dozens of people seeking asylum.

After a marathon battle of "ping pong" over the key legislation between the Commons and the Lords, the bill finally passed when opposition and crossbench peers gave way on Monday night.

The bill is expected to be granted royal assent on Tuesday. Home Office sources said they have already identified a group of asylum seekers with weak legal claims to remain in the UK who will be part of the first tranche to be sent to east Africa in July.

The Home Office has whittled the list down to 350 migrants who are deemed to pose the least risk of submitting successful legal challenges blocking their deportation.

At a specially convened press conference on Monday morning, he said the government would "not let a foreign court" block flights to Rwanda and stressed that he would finally end the "legal merry-go-round" associated with deportation flights.

Let's see what the courts have to say about that.

Disgusting. They're basically sending people back to jail/death. 

2 hours ago, Kitboga said:

Their Madagascar plan 

I can see the similarities :biblio:

Well as long as they're safer than they were in their home country... whether it's in the UK or Rwanda I don't see the difference 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Thumbs Down 5

19 minutes ago, playboi said:

whether it's in the UK or Rwanda I don't see the difference 

:skull:

14 minutes ago, Nintendoes said:

Germany needs to send theirs to Namibia tbh :clap3: We need this to be THE standard across EU nations.

This is crazy :deadbanana4: imagine any other country saying 'we're sending all of our asylum seekers to the UK'

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, playboi said:

Well as long as they're safer than they were in their home country... whether it's in the UK or Rwanda I don't see the difference 

16 minutes ago, Nintendoes said:

Germany needs to send theirs to Namibia tbh :clap3: We need this to be THE standard across EU nations.

How do you manage to have the worst takes in every thread? Quite impressive tbh

It's so hard to believe that I'm browsing a "pRogResSiVe, HuMan RigHtS fRiEndLy" website sometimes. 

Edited by State of Grace.
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

It's so hard to believe that I'm browsing a "pRogResSiVe, HuMan RigHtS fRiEndLy" website sometimes. 

how am I wrong? the uk is a European country with a history of colonialism they are de facto more racist than Rwanda and probably more dangerous for poc too.. wouldn't you agree?

• Thumbs Down 2

the evil rishi keeping the elderly members of the house of lords in the chamber until midnight to force them to pass his bill 

They'll all be going to Belfast to claim asylum in Ireland. :biblio:

Disgusting :rip: 

I can't understand how he gets away with these abhorrent policies. This man is truly the worst, and it's high time the conservatives were removed from power.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, playboi said:

how am I wrong? the uk is a European country with a history of colonialism they are de facto more racist than Rwanda and probably more dangerous for poc too.. wouldn't you agree?

Rwanda literally committed mass murder of its own people only 30 years ago:rip: It's absolutely not a safe country to send people who are fleeing persecution. Paul Kagame is a terrible man who has his political opponents assassinated. Not to mention the country is currently in a long term conflict with the DRC.

You can think what you like about what it's like to live in the UK, but there's no way it's as bad as Rwanda.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, playboi said:

1 hour ago, Nintendoes said:

Genuinely there's no reason for your views besides just straight up racism. :rip: There's something uniquely horrific in hating other races so much that you even turn away refugees. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, State of Grace. said:

They try to give off this vibe of being edgy and raw when it's actually giving brain dead and ill-informed :rip:

Edited by SmittenCake

Germany has suffer enough due to the previous migrant influx, including after Russia launched their attack on Ukraine. Not to mention we have housing crisis. The health care system is also free falling. 

If Namibia wants to help us, then that should be a solution. :clap3: And Ampel needs to make it a reality as fast as they legalized weed. 

It has nothing to do with racism. 

Germany has to stop playing the white savior card for once. :bird: We have helped so much for ages and they still call us Alman and amk. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.