What hindered the resurgence of "Bubblegum Pop" in recent years?

AvadaKedavra

In recent years, we've witnessed revivals/renaissances/new waves of:

D2v710A.jpeg

• 70s Disco
  • 80s Synthpop-Synthwave
  • 90s House
  • 2000s Pop Punk-Pop Rock
  • R&B
  • Country

People are captivated by throwbacks this decade

Additionally, we've seen celebrities and Gen Z-Milenials embracing the Y2K style and bubblegum aesthetic once more, mixing it up and forging their own unique flair-vibe

1312108.jpg

00_story.jpg 2020s-fashion-so-far-starter-pack-v0-hazhzqjwc9u81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=61b060d338d607bc4f78ff270c9fabb339a465f9

3bc48416a5a827ac973a682654b836451f1bc211.gifmaxresdefault.jpg3KWBwau.png

But it seems artists are not keen on reviving or exploring
the early 90s-2000s Cheiron nsync spice girls britney bubblegum max martin influenced teen pop????

that this subgenre isn't gaining any big traction in the mainstream like its counterparts??????? 
only the 2000s visuals?

In the 2010s, pop chanteuses like Austin Mahone, Meghan Trainor, and Charli XCX attempted to revive this type of music on the mainstream charts, but the songs did not achieve major success. They were just minor hits

Could this music style never make a proper MAINSTREAM comeback?
Maybe it's too corny  and soft-cutesy for the charts?
What do you think? thanks for all your future comments. 

Will artists skip the 2000s in the future
and go straight to the  electropop-electrohouse of the 2010s instead? 

Edited by AvadaKedavra

I wish these bubblegum pop inspired bops got more love. 

• Like 1

Lack of good melodies

Every 20 years that decade becomes relevant again. Like in the 90's the 70's were back in. In the 2000's the 80's return. (Even tho technically it feels like the 80's truly never go away). The 2010's had a 90's revival. Ect. 

1 minute ago, Sheep said:

kpop

+ Asian Pop as whole

Hence Asia stays winning

:bunny: 

4 minutes ago, Odette Violet said:

+ Asian Pop as whole

Hence Asia stays winning

:bunny: 

like there are very bubblegummy pop albums clearing 1-3m copies and billions of streams and supporting global stadium tours, yt ppl just don't have a monopoly on it anymore :bunny:

Edited by Sheep
  • Like 1

Yea I guess the Kpop answer really does shuts it down

however, feels like western music currently is still pretty much in a sadcore type of vibe

altho I would argue that there are bubblegum familiar stuff out there..u literally posted PinkPantheress

iHeart Radio who have a stranglehold on U.S. Radio Programming are very particular about what they deem suitable for American audiences.

• Like 3

In America, I think a straight up return to bubblegum pop would read as too earnest/milllenial-core. I think we'll see more hyperpop influences into the mainstream though. I could also see someone like Sabrina or Chappell doing some bubblegum pop-inspired work in a cheeky way.

Thanks for your answers sistrens. Maybe the gen alpha will bring bubblegum pop back? they look like a very innocent soft generation

Maybe if Taylor delves into the genre could it have a proper comeback?
or Ariana? officialy releasing fantasize? :eli:

I want to say because there's just not been good enough material to do so, but some horrible material has revived some of the other trends you mentioned so unsure.

I guess no material (good or bad) has clicked with the GP to make it blow up like has happened with some other sounds.

I feel like K-pop fills the need of bubblegum pop in the US market, and while it can be considered "cringe" in its own way, it is more marketable than an American artist doing it since people here don't know what they're saying.

For example, I think music like Meghan Trainor's would perform better had they been K-pop songs rather than her own becaues her lyrics can be too corny but if it was done by a Korean girl group instead then the melody/aesthetic would carry and people would like it because they don't really know what's being said.

Edited by Raichu

Those micro eras in 1997-2002 or 2008-2010 were a niche product of their time that's kind of hard to replicate in modern music without sounding dated as hell. I feel like the music that came after fared better in the test of time like 2003-2007. Or 2011-present. They were just big leaps.

Because it's awful and we don't need that shite back

It will happen eventually, whether it will be a huge trend like the disco revival or more of a cute craze like pop-punk remains to be seen.

There's stuff out there, but I agree that Western mainstream seems to have a more grimy vibe. I think that's a symptom of the still strong influence of R&B, hip-hop and especially rap. I mean, a song like Kill Bill sounds like a slowed down version of a bubblegum pop song. Also with the huge amount of popular lofi and bedroom pop, I think people just want to delve deeper into the melancholic moods of genres like R&B and have a clear distinction between "party" (a lot of rap/EDM/electronic/disco is very much on its way out) and "serious" songs (R&B, singer-songwriter, lofi).

A lot of people give Taylor a hard time, but it's at least impressive how her songs still manage to bridge this gap with such ease so that she can release atmospheric mid-tempo songs while having a five year old uptempo pop song in the charts.

40 minutes ago, AvadaKedavra said:

Maybe if Taylor delves into the genre could it have a proper comeback?

I feel like Message In A Bottle is as close as Taylor will ever get to that

40 minutes ago, AvadaKedavra said:

Maybe the gen alpha will bring bubblegum pop back? they look like a very innocent soft generation

Maybe. I always say I'm counting on Gen Alpha to fight against the depressed millenials and the cynicism of Gen Z. I think in the Western countries they could become the most unserious generation yet because they truly have nothing to lose anymore by living in the present. Their future is ****** anyways.

Edited by The Next Day
  • Like 1

Because we're in the era of the songwriter now. But it's no wonder ATRL hates on Taylor, Olivia, Billie, and Lana because ATRLers are stuck in the past and want that sh**ty music from 2007-2014 back.

To be clear not all of the MPG music from that time was bad, we had Katy, Britney, Gaga, Taylor, Rihanna, etc, and most of their music from that time has aged well, but speaking from an overall perspective, that sound is tired and general audiences really don't want that anymore. 

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

Whew No is still a bop, Ms Trainor did that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Because no one will ever be able to replicate that late 90's/early 2000's Cheiron bubblegum pop sound. It was a pop powerhouse firing on full steam with a pop maestro (Max Martin) leading the charge. They were able to tap into a certain magic that just isn't replicable. 

• Like 2

Maybe it's too early? Maybe the ones that tried and didn't have big success with it did it too early? It's definitely a genre that was huge and catchy as **** so I doubt quality has anything to do with it since there's other "bad" genres that came back such as Eurodance. 

give it 5-7 years and it'll come back

Thanks god. People complain about Jack's production but that Max Matin dominated era was so shitty, songs were all the same and interchangeable, no personality, no soul, no depth.

Edited by Blue.

Stan me:i

Tbh I think that it's partly due to the streaming era: low key, chill(er) music that blends into the background to some extent is gonna do better than the more 'in your face' sound of bubblegum pop because people will just put on an album or a playlist and stream it while they're doing smth else. The less distracting the better. Then before you know it it's over so you listen to it again.
It explains why artists are releasing longer and longer albums w shorter songs - they get more passive streams while remaining tiktok friendly.

Just my pet theory and obviously there are exceptions :ducky:

• Like 2

It was hindered by the rise of Bubblegum Flop thanks to Katy Perry.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.