Berlin police ban Irish protesters from speaking in Irish at pro-Palestine circle

Kitty Kat

https://independent.ie/irish-news/berlin-police-ban-irish-protesters-from-speaking-or-singing-in-irish-at-pro-palestine-ciorcal-comhra-near-reichstag/a234500393.html

Irish protesters were told they are not allowed to speak or sing in Irish at the pro-Palestine protest camp near the Reichstag in Berlin.

About 40 activists were attending the 'ciorcal comhrá' (conversation circle) event as Gaeilge when large numbers of police arrived and told them to stop and move on.

They also sang songs in English and Irish, including traditional favourite Óró Sé Do Bheatha Abhaile.

Police broke up the Irish language event attended by about 40 Irish people living in the German capital, under rules that only allow English and German, and in some cases Arabic, to be used during protests.

German authorities have been increasingly restricting pro-Palestine protests against the government's support for Israel amid its war in Gaza.

The ban on languages other than English and German, in Berlin without a designated translator present to interpret for police is seen as mainly targeting Arabic speakers, and therefore Palestine supporters.

Irish is an official language of the EU, with equal status to the 23 other official languages of the EU since January 2022.

The group said in its statement that the actions of the police amounted to intimidation and that Irish people are all to familiar with having their language repressed, adding: "We are painfully aware that if we were not a predominantly white-Irish group, this situation would have mostly likely unfolded very differently."

• Like 2

They should be allowed to speak in whichever language they wish to 🇮🇪:heart2:

Well there's a reason they don't romanticize the royal fam like the rest of the west. I love it. 

• Like 1

Why is this even a law?  Seems extremely sus 

8 hours ago, Archetype said:

Why is this even a law?  Seems extremely sus 

From what I understand, Germany's strict hate speech legislation means that the police will monitor "protests"(?) to screen out whether or not they are platforming hate-speech. And if the police cannot understand what is being said, they then cannot speak without an interpreter?

15 hours ago, Kitty Kat said:

From what I understand, Germany's strict hate speech legislation means that the police will monitor "protests"(?) to screen out whether or not they are platforming hate-speech. And if the police cannot understand what is being said, they then cannot speak without an interpreter?

I guess they haven't heard of Google Translate?  Even so, they can always record the event and send snippets to someone else to run through a translation app later.  There are so many easy ways to appease these bogus law.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

AfD and CDU really need to join force to push the lefties out of the government. This kind of things didn't even happen in the last 16 years of Merkel's reign. The next election couldn't come soon enough. 

I want stability back in Germany more than anything. :bird:

• Thumbs Down 2

7 hours ago, Nintendoes said:

AfD and CDU really need to join force to push the lefties out of the government. This kind of things didn't even happen in the last 16 years of Merkel's reign. The next election couldn't come soon enough. 

I want stability back in Germany more than anything. :bird:

The FDP is the only party that is destructive in that coalition. 

How anyone could vote for the Nazis party (AfD) or the hardcore 1950s far right conservatives (CDU) is beyond me. 

Merkel and co. funded Russia for decades. All the problems that the current government has to fix, stem from the inacitivity of the CDU in those 16 years. (albeit the SPD was also governint in some of those years). 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 11:01 AM, Kitty Kat said:

Right. The title is at best misleading. 

31 minutes ago, stevyy said:

The FDP is the only party that is destructive in that coalition. 

How anyone could vote for the Nazis party (AfD) or the hardcore 1950s far right conservatives (CDU) is beyond me. 

Merkel and co. funded Russia for decades. All the problems that the current government has to fix, stem from the inacitivity of the CDU in those 16 years. (albeit the SPD was also governint in some of those years). 

FDP is the only party that keeps Grüne and SPD in check. 

We don't want this country turning into DDR Teil II.

12 hours ago, Nintendoes said:

This kind of things didn't even happen in the last 16 years of Merkel's reign.

Merkel's time in office was plagued with protests. But I guess if you support the AfD and Nazis, you would naturally have a blind spot to them.

6 hours ago, stevyy said:

Right. The title is at best misleading. 

Nothing is untrue in the title. The facts are that it was indeed banned from usage for the reasons stated, whether you agree or disagree is up to the individual. You can't exactly make a 50 word long title on ATRL when there are character limits. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.