Why did Taylor not add any obvious radio hit pop song on TTPD?

FolkLover1989

So now that I have listened to standard album like 3 times. I am actually surprised how she didn't add baity pop single hook for radio like she does for her most albums ( except Folklore and Evermore to some extent)

The album just confessional poetry and moving on. 

Do you think at such stage in career with so much interest in her , was it right decision to shift from her usual pop hooks?

Discuss

• Like 2

ICDIWABH, MBOBHFT, and BDILH are radio friendly imo 

• Like 1

After her "proving" ""everyone"" wrong with the smash hit Anti Hero I don't think shes focused on what's generally considered a radio friendly hit and hopes to smash on her own name alone. Which she does, so...

She doesn't really need a hit. Swifties will make this the biggest album of the year alone

It's a pretty experimental album. Taylor is at the point in her career where she can afford to experiment with her music. She doesn't need a generic hit to smash anymore. Fortnight is the most radio friendly song though so they were smart in releasing that.

My Boy is top 40 SMASH girl...

taylor doesn't need radio, radio needs taylor :gaylorcat2:

Because she isn't talented enough to write big pop hits anymore. She can only write boring songs now.

0be9a0b6c536c2532a82a584b02733f76417ffbc

• Thumbs Down 2

Why would she? Streaming destroyed radio's relevancy.

She doesn't care about charts and sales

• Haha 3

There are still some songs that could work well with radio (songs like MBOBHFT, Fortnight, BDILH, ICDOWABH, even Down Bad could work on radio). I mean if Is It Over Now and Anti-Hero did well on radio then these songs could too, potentially coming from her name alone.  Who would have thought Anti-Hero would slay radio like that? It's not really a conventional pop song (I do think it's chorus has more mass appeal than any song in TTPD).

If they want to take a risk I feel like putting out an alternative-leaning song like So High School, The Albatross, imgnnagetyouback or Who's Afraid of Little Old Me (maybe not this one because it's 5min+) could work as well. 

12 minutes ago, shookspeare said:

taylor doesn't need radio, radio needs taylor :gaylorcat2:

I swear I don't love the drama, it loves me

florida!!!!/so high scholl can get ttpd's 2nd #1!!!!

There are multiple IION-level radio hits on here, though I don't hear anything with Anti-Hero mega-smash potential.

Remeber the time she thought Me! was a hit single? 

She doesn't know how to pick singles 

She is leaving room for august to smash. 

I don't think so, but at the rate she is pushing out albums, it doesn't matter really. I think she should've released 2 albums, 1 with big pop hooks to keep fans that like that happy and the other this album but just shorter. 

Guilt as Sin? is right there :party:

i think she doesnt care about singles anymore...like, 1989 tv and atw10m charted better than Midnights singles

Why should she? streaming counts for album sales and Billboard Hot 100 at the same time, having 2 or three tracks on TTH is enough. No one is going to remember the songs anyway. 

• ATRL Moderator

She barely lifted a finger and had a 2019 song be the hit of the 2023 summer. I think she's not worried about it. Besides, I Can Do it With a Broken Heart is right there.

At this point does she need to :coffee2:

Swifties decide what the radio plays, see: Summer, Cruel.

There are no obvious radio candy but there are several tracks I can see working on radio. Fortnight, My Boy, Down Bad are all potential hits.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.