ATRL Music Producers | Discussion Thread

.Odyssey.

Fellow ATRLers...

Anyone else here do music production? Looking for other music producers to talk to and share work with. Been getting into this as a hobby over the last year and finally starting to feel comfortable sharing some content. 

Hoping to get a discussion group going where we can share work, production tips, mechanisms for getting feedback, etc.

I made this over the last week:

Not sure what type of sound I'm going for yet, but have a few tracks with this vibe. Still working on lyrics / vocals.

Please be nice :gaycat4:

• Like 1

I got FL Studio the other week and I'm trying to learn it :jonnycat:

• Like 1

I produce:

use logic pro

fab filter

have other plug ins i use 

(suck at vocal production)

• Like 1

Just now, KatyPrismSpirit said:

I produce:

use logic pro

fab filter

have other plug ins i use 

(suck at vocal production)

Oh amazing, I also use Logic Pro. What's fab filter?

Vocal production is so hard. I can't get my voice to sit with the instrumental and still have space in the various layers. It sounds very muddy.

2 minutes ago, .Odyssey. said:

Vocal production is so hard. I can't get my voice to sit with the instrumental and still have space in the various layers. It sounds very muddy.

Fab filter is a mastering mixing plug-in. its widely used in most professional studios. Its great for experimental music and mixing vocals, drums, mastering. also works on keys and guitars. basically all plug ins in one software tool

I tried to get into producing stuff and I have FL Studio, but it's really complicated

2 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Fab filter is a mastering mixing plug-in. its widely used in most professional studios. Its great for experimental music and mixing vocals, drums, mastering. also works on keys and guitars. basically all plug ins in one software tool

What are the advantages of this over the Logic Pro stock EQ plugins? I'm still new to third party plugins, though I'm starting to dabble with vsts. 

3 minutes ago, .Odyssey. said:

yeah i suck at vocal producing. i low key want to do like classes to get better at it but creating that perfect pop vocal is very hard to achieve. 

2 minutes ago, .Odyssey. said:

What are the advantages of this over the Logic Pro stock EQ plugins? I'm still new to third party plugins, though I'm starting to dabble with vsts. 

its basically just more variety. dont get me wrong you can do a lot with stock EQ but if you want to create more unique or experimental music than i recommend fabfilter. they use fabfilter at electric lady studios too, basically all big artists use it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

yeah i suck at vocal producing. i low key want to do like classes to get better at it but creating that perfect pop vocal is very hard to achieve. 

I've found that layering goes a long way. But getting it to sit properly in the mix is so hard.

Do you have work I can hear? :)

9 minutes ago, Sailor Moon said:

I tried to get into producing stuff and I have FL Studio, but it's really complicated

It is. I'm learning that I just have to do it over and over again to break past beginner level. There are no shortcuts, it's all about producing content. 

I used to be really into it and worked in a studio with my brother. We mainly used Logic Pro X. 

Unfortunately, I've mostly lost interest these days and just don't have the time anymore. :noparty:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, .Odyssey. said:

I've found that layering goes a long way. But getting it to sit properly in the mix is so hard.

Do you have work I can hear? :)

I dont have published work yet but i will maybe release music in the future

34 minutes ago, .Odyssey. said:

It is. I'm learning that I just have to do it over and over again to break past beginner level. There are no shortcuts, it's all about producing content. 

I've been just copying tutorials and creating existing songs so far.

It's just one of those things that take a long time to understand and be in full control.

1 minute ago, Sailor Moon said:

I've been just copying tutorials and creating existing songs so far.

It's just one of those things that take a long time to understand and be in full control.

I did this for a while too, but I found I started to get into "tutorial paralysis". I'd keep watching videos thinking I was making progress, but it was just procrastinating from the hard and scary part -- Making something of my own.

My recommendation is to sit down, give yourself a time limit, and let your first 10 songs absolutely suck. But finish them. Listen again in a week and figure out what could have made them better. Wash, rinse, repeat.

(I say this as a complete hypocrite who suffers wildly from not being able to finish my songs :rip:).

• Like 1

Any of you use fun multifunctional tools like Novation Circuit? Experiences/recommendations?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.