Project Hail Mary | by Phil Lord & Chris Miller w/ Ryan Gosling | March 20, 2026

Popboi.

Ummm why they working on another movie when Beyond the Spiderverse isn't finished yet..... :biblio:

1 hour ago, JBJT2786 said:

Ummm why they working on another movie when Beyond the Spiderverse isn't finished yet..... :biblio:

They wrote the script for BYTS but don't direct it, their job with that is done. They're directing Project Hail Mary in the summer, so if there's a script change there's still a big open window for changes.

I need to get into the book, I've head the audiobook version is amazing

13 hours ago, DanyelP23 said:

I need to get into the book, I've head the audiobook version is amazing

So you thought it was good?

I read some mixed opinions online, everyone agrees it's not commercial like The Martian.

This has been announced in 2020 if I remember right, so i'm pretty annoyed by Ryan's laziness, he backed out of The Wolfman, backed out of The Actor, put Ocean 11 prequel on hold and this is only getting released in 2 years. So once again big break for his career. And March release is not giving me Oscar contender movie. 

it's better than the martian, but I didn't like the martian

2 hours ago, NoAngelus said:

I read some mixed opinions online, everyone agrees it's not commercial like The Martian.

This has been announced in 2020 if I remember right, so i'm pretty annoyed by Ryan's laziness, he backed out of The Wolfman, backed out of The Actor, put Ocean 11 prequel on hold and this is only getting released in 2 years. So once again big break for his career. And March release is not giving me Oscar contender movie. 

I had not read it / consumed it (the book) yet, but I already have it in kindle and audio format. I plan to read it either by the end of this month or in May. I'm pretty actively up to date in bookish spaces online and everyone who's read it has been gagging over how good it is, especially the audio. 
I'll make sure to relay my thoughts here once I get to it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, NoAngelus said:

He just inked a deal with Amazon MGM to star and produce several movies and series for both theater release and streaming (Project Hail Mary being the first in the deal), if anything he'll be the busiest he's been since doing La La Land, Nice Guys and Blade Runner 2054 back to back to back.

Margot said Ocean prequel is in very early production and is filming a movie right now (A Big Bold Beautiful Journey) so that might take a while.

Edited by Popboi.

21 hours ago, DanyelP23 said:

I had not read it / consumed it (the book) yet, but I already have it in kindle and audio format. I plan to read it either by the end of this month or in May. I'm pretty actively up to date in bookish spaces online and everyone who's read it has been gagging over how good it is, especially the audio. 
I'll make sure to relay my thoughts here once I get to it. 

Oh thank you, I'll be waiting for your spoiler free review :bird:

I loved The Martian movie, but I don't wanna read book because I don't want movie spoiler for me. Space movies are my favorite thing so I'm excited but apparently it's more Ad Astra  and less The Martian...

15 hours ago, Popboi. said:

He just inked a deal with Amazon MGM to star and produce several movies and series for both theater release and streaming (Project Hail Mary being the first in the deal), if anything he'll be the busiest he's been since doing La La Land, Nice Guys and Blade Runner 2054 back to back to back.

Margot said Ocean prequel is in very early production and is filming a movie right now (A Big Bold Beautiful Journey) so that might take a while.

Well I think that's just for business. not his acting career.

He backed out of 2 roles in recent months and Ocean was moved because of him, prequel was in pre-production last summer and shooting was supposed to happen in October but it was moved to early this year but he had Wolfman planned, and then dropped out of that project too. 

He gave an interview last year that I really didn't like, talking about doing 1 movie per year so he can spend time with his family. I know I'm being selfish lol but he has such a small filmography for his age and his years in the business, I need more movies from him like The Nice Guys that you can re-watch endlessly before he semi-retires, and he is already semi-retired. He hasn't been passionate in interviews and promos since probably Blade Runner.

3 minutes ago, NoAngelus said:

Well I think that's just for business. not his acting career.

He backed out of 2 roles in recent months and Ocean was moved because of him, prequel was in pre-production last summer and shooting was supposed to happen in October but it was moved to early this year but he had Wolfman planned, and then dropped out of that project too. 

He gave an interview last year that I really didn't like, talking about doing 1 movie per year so he can spend time with his family. I know I'm being selfish lol but he has such a small filmography for his age and his years in the business, I need more movies from him like The Nice Guys that you can re-watch endlessly before he semi-retires, and he is already semi-retired. He hasn't been passionate in interviews and promos since probably Blade Runner.

The press release says he will star in most of the productions (doubt he will for the Amazon Prime shows), and PHM starts shooting in a couple months already :bunny: the past few months seem the most passionate he's been in ages (Barbie and TFG press, SNL, the Oscars performance, him being present through a whole award season for the first time since La La Land). He needed his time off in the late 10s cause of the guilt of being away shooting La La Land while Eva was pregnant and her brother was dying from cancer.

With how massively talked about the Oscars and SNL were, wouldn't be surprised if he even did another Dead Man's Bones album.

13 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

The press release says he will star in most of the productions (doubt he will for the Amazon Prime shows), and PHM starts shooting in a couple months already :bunny: the past few months seem the most passionate he's been in ages (Barbie and TFG press, SNL, the Oscars performance, him being present through a whole award season for the first time since La La Land). He needed his time off in the late 10s cause of the guilt of being away shooting La La Land while Eva was pregnant and her brother was dying from cancer.

With how massively talked about the Oscars and SNL were, wouldn't be surprised if he even did another Dead Man's Bones album.

Sis he only appeared for televised awards shows, nothing beyond that. :monkey:

Just look at his interviews from decade ago, he was so full of life and energy, I don't know, he has been very off since his comeback with The Grey Man. Like he is doing everything only for money. I mean he did say that in that GQ interview... So I'm not hopeful anymore. He started chasing commercial success with TGM, Barbie and now The Fall Guy.

That's why I was excited the most for Wolfman - his passion project, The Actor and this one. And he canceled 2/3 and shooting of this movie has been constantly delayed for the past few years. 

He also just lost a role to Glen Powell and that movie also looked more interesting than all his recent movies. I am already annoyed by forced rom-com aspect of TFG. He has zero chemistry with Emily. Which is a shock honestly. 

He was also really off with Margot and Ana de Armas, which makes me believe that he doesn't like getting friendly with female costars ever since he got with Eva. She sucked life out of him. 

Edited by NoAngelus

18 hours ago, NoAngelus said:

Oh thank you, I'll be waiting for your spoiler free review :bird:

I loved The Martian movie, but I don't wanna read book because I don't want movie spoiler for me. Space movies are my favorite thing so I'm excited but apparently it's more Ad Astra  and less The Martian...

So, I have just gotten through 20%/100 pages of the book (reading on Kindle & listening to the Audiobook in tandem).

I have not watched Ad Astra, but this does very much reminds me of The Martian, in terms of tonality.

It is very very witty. Also, it is full of scientific jargon, but the audio narration brings it to live and makes you trust the main character. 

Our MC is very likeable, witty & sarcastic. This character will require a very much full-on movie star turn from Gosling. The character in the book is also in his mid 30s, but I assume that will be changed for the adaptation.

I don't believe this is a spoiler, but with regards to the structure of the action

Spoiler

it is split between space, where our character is pretty much by himself, and flashbacks on earth, which reveal how our MC finds himself stranded in space.

The supporting characters will have to be, in my opinion, played by relatively known people, and the character to character interactions NEED to work, and not fall flat/feel bland.

Funny enough, I think Damon around 2006 would pretty much be perfectly cast. I don't venture to say that this is the exact MC as The Martian, because last time I saw this movie was in theatres almost 9  years ago, but they do feel similar. 

I have trust that Gosling can deliver. I hope they don't make the character too "rugged/out of shape" and mostly keep to the book description of him.

I'll come back with more thoughts as I read along.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DanyelP23 said:

So, I have just gotten through 20%/100 pages of the book (reading on Kindle & listening to the Audiobook in tandem).

I have not watched Ad Astra, but this does very much reminds me of The Martian, in terms of tonality.

It is very very witty. Also, it is full of scientific jargon, but the audio narration brings it to live and makes you trust the main character. 

Our MC is very likeable, witty & sarcastic. This character will require a very much full-on movie star turn from Gosling. The character in the book is also in his mid 30s, but I assume that will be changed for the adaptation.

I don't believe this is a spoiler, but with regards to the structure of the action

Hide contents

it is split between space, where our character is pretty much by himself, and flashbacks on earth, which reveal how our MC finds himself stranded in space.

The supporting characters will have to be, in my opinion, played by relatively known people, and the character to character interactions NEED to work, and not fall flat/feel bland.

Funny enough, I think Damon around 2006 would pretty much be perfectly cast. I don't venture to say that this is the exact MC as The Martian, because last time I saw this movie was in theatres almost 9  years ago, but they do feel similar. 

I have trust that Gosling can deliver. I hope they don't make the character too "rugged/out of shape" and mostly keep to the book description of him.

I'll come back with more thoughts as I read along.

Oh wow thank you for the update :bird: I need to rewatch The Martian, it's probably my #11 or #12 on my all time list. 

Make sure to come back once you finish the book to tell us your thoughts. 

Hopefully the movie will be as good as the book. I highly recommend reading it.   

It shall be interesting to see what his friend will look like in the movie…

On 4/21/2024 at 8:47 PM, NoAngelus said:

Oh wow thank you for the update :bird: I need to rewatch The Martian, it's probably my #11 or #12 on my all time list. 

Make sure to come back once you finish the book to tell us your thoughts. 

The book was incredible. This is in no way a copy/paste The Martian as I initially feared.

3 things will be needed to be nailed down perfectly

1 - how much science will they include in the script

2 - how the character Rocky will be portrayed. The VFX really need to be ON POINT so that Rocky won't feel like a 

Spoiler

Star Wars robot assistant caricature

3 - the relationship between Rocky and Ryland(Gosling)

:jonny5:

Also, the ending of the book was incredible. Ryland's decision made so much sense, and that scene in the end... I wanted to cry at how it tied everything so well:gaycat7:

23 minutes ago, DanyelP23 said:

The book was incredible. This is in no way a copy/paste The Martian as I initially feared.

3 things will be needed to be nailed down perfectly

1 - how much science will they include in the script

2 - how the character Rocky will be portrayed. The VFX really need to be ON POINT so that Rocky won't feel like a 

Reveal hidden contents

Star Wars robot assistant caricature

3 - the relationship between Rocky and Ryland(Gosling)

:jonny5:

Also, the ending of the book was incredible. Ryland's decision made so much sense, and that scene in the end... I wanted to cry at how it tied everything so well:gaycat7:

Oh damn you got me so excited and the movie is only coming out in 2 years - if then even because it has been delayed so many times :rip: 

But I don't wanna read it because I don't want to spoil movie, space movies are my favorite thing ever. 

So would you say it was more psychological like Ad Astra or more action packed like Martian/Interstellar?

Edited by NoAngelus

4 minutes ago, NoAngelus said:

Oh damn you got me so excited and the movie is only coming out in 2 years - if then even because it has been delayed so many times :rip: 

But I don't wanna read it because I don't want to spoil movie, space movies are my favorite thing ever. 

So would you say it was more psychological like Ad Astra or more action packed like Martian/Interstellar?

Probably more like Martian/Interstellar.. but I don't quite know how to describe the action scenes... they are most in the vein of: a problem happens, character(s) need to figure out a solution on how to fix it. Although, now that I think more, I do have in mind a few scenes that can make some awesome action sequences.

There were definitely themes of loneliness and of questioning one's purpose.. but the bread of the book is optimism, never giving up and the relationship between Ryland and Rocky. And the optimism is not some grand conclusion reached at the end of the book, it is something reinforced throughout the story from the beginning to the end, which ties with how the MC is as a person.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DanyelP23 said:

Probably more like Martian/Interstellar.. but I don't quite know how to describe the action scenes... they are most in the vein of: a problem happens, character(s) need to figure out a solution on how to fix it. Although, now that I think more, I do have in mind a few scenes that can make some awesome action sequences.

There were definitely themes of loneliness and of questioning one's purpose.. but the bread of the book is optimism, never giving up and the relationship between Ryland and Rocky. And the optimism is not some grand conclusion reached at the end of the book, it is something reinforced throughout the story from the beginning to the end, which ties with how the MC is as a person.

March 2026 can't come soon enough :cries:

And I've already seen The Fall Guy so I'm entering another string of dry years as a fan :khalyan:

• 1 month later...

13 minutes ago, NoAngelus said:

Ugh I know exactly who she's gonna play!

This casting is GENIUS!:WAP:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DanyelP23 said:

Ugh I know exactly who she's gonna play!

This casting is GENIUS!:WAP:

I'm so jealous but I don't wanna read the book :WAP:

But March release date is giving studio not really believing in it.

And this directing duo only has Jump Street movies in their resume :rip: love them both tho

SANDRA :WAP:

• 2 weeks later...

Filming began earlier this week

On 5/29/2024 at 8:39 PM, NoAngelus said:

MUTTER!!! :jonny:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.