Student movement in solidarity with Gaza goes global; police crackdowns ensue

LIT

40 minutes ago, ZeroSuitBritney said:

Me when I lie: 

:giraffe:

There were many new developments. And with each new update it makes even less sense what they're doing. :laugh: 

A giant coordinated peace rally to send a global message of solidarity out to the world would make perfect sense.

An encampment on a private university wherein you attempt to steer the school's investment decisions away from the world's biggest companies does not. 

Breaking into and occupying campus buildings for no further apparent reason is just insane. They've lost the plot.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 9

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GraceRandolph

• Kassi

• Communion

• Espresso

the fact that the US government is trying harder to protect Israel than anything, literally anything

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kassi said:

would make perfect sense.

Honey we did not get where we are today by doing what makes sense to your kind. Y'all scared shaking in your corporate friendly boots and well y'all should be. The status quo is changing :heart:

sohee-riize2.thumb.gif.1e66a17a070d25475

• Like 1

This is the moment when you recognize who stands on the right side of history. The occupation of university facilities by students was in 1968 also viewed as a bad thing, but now it is deemed so heroic that they hang pictures of the occupation in the unvisersity halls.

Forty years from now, today's protesters will also be regarded as heroes :clap3:

• Like 2

Columbia Association of Professors are AGAINST the presence of police in campus

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, GhostBox said:

Ive been wondering this question myself. 

Watch how when they release the identities of the protesters and it turns out they were all students your talking point will suddenly change into how they in fact deserved getting arrested, just like how you and every zionist have been doing for the past 7 months. Just some straight up whataboutism

Edited by Dali
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Prodigal Self said:

Honey we did not get where we are today by doing what makes sense to your kind. Y'all scared shaking in your corporate friendly boots and well y'all should be. The status quo is changing :heart:

sohee-riize2.thumb.gif.1e66a17a070d25475

In 1968, Columbia students protested a segregated gym and the fact that young people like them were being drafted into the Vietnam War. 

In 2024, Columbia students are protesting this:

On 4/25/2024 at 8:56 PM, Kassi said:

Hey can you quickly explain how the world is made safer when Columbia divests from these companies.

dzCdL78.png

https://cuapartheiddivest.org/research

There's no internal logic to the protests. Are they also going to demand the school stop using MS Office or Google Sheets? Will they be turning away all Amazon packages delivered to student dorms? Apparently not:

spacer.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2024/04/26/bds-divestment-gaza-campuses-israel/

How does ANY of this help Palestinians? If you're not "very online", the way they're going about this protest doesn't translate well. :laugh:

• Thumbs Down 9

Have some of y'all lost the plot or am i just losing my mind here? i would be laughing about how some members in this thread sound like a bunch of fascists if this wasn't actually happening in real life.

Talking about "peaceful protesting" as if breaking a window and camping on a lawn equats being violently brutalized by hundreds of police officers. I am CONVINCED that alot of you have been living in your own privileged bubble since birth and have never went to a protest in your entire lives, simply because the system put in place directly benefits you and you never had the need to fight for your own rights because others did it for you, and you never fought for other's rights because it doesn't concern you.

Now this is even more infuriating knowing that alot of these messages are coming from queer and lgbt+ individuals, to those i ask, how did you think the LGBT community (in the US specifically) fought for their rights? by begging the police to please let them be and singing kumbaya while holding hands? Please go open a book
What about student movements against the vietnam war, and every anti-war protest that is? did they achieve what they did by conveniencing the state and the police and doing exactly what they wanted them to do?

This idea of a "perfect" non violent protest only exists in your head, and it is unattainable in reality, but seeing that you have undoubtedly never marched before in your life, or did anything that is considered mildly against the system, you just don't know that.

I once saw a tweet saying "a liberal thinks every social movement that ever happened is good, except the current one" and everyday i am convinced that that's 100% true.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

The absolute irony or rather mirroring that is happening here is insane.

This will be a breaking point for a loooot of people. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The protestors' demands are too broad and vague to produce tangible results. From some of the rhetoric, you'd think Columbia was sending checks directly to Netanyahu.

The school has a massive investment portfolio that is being managed by professionals and is likely extremely diverse. Trying to tackle apartheid company by company — especially those not on the BDS list — isn't going to move the needle for Palestinians.

This is like the Starbucks boycott, but even more nebulous since Google, Amazon, and Microsoft stock will continue to rise as the students use their underlying products and services. How many of them have been Googling for legal advice? How many of the tents were Prime deliveries?

A globally broadcasted solidarity peace rally with 100,000s of people, like the Women's March, would have a better chance of sending Netanyahu and the world a message in support of Palestinians.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 6

Zionists can't help it.

• Like 10

Zionists should be classified as terrorists. Absolutely unhinged set of inhumane scum.

• Like 9

Imagine the outcry if it was the other way around :biblio:

• Like 9

Attacks are never the answer and I condemn those either way, but I wonder where is the thread about campers physically stopping and attacking people purely based on their Jewishness (not even Zionism)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 6

Also, if colleges were to divest from Israel in its entirety, the following is a few companies that have physical offices/facilities/R&D centers in Israel from which they would need to divest:

Amazon, Apple, Bayer, Capgemini, Dell, Dropbox, eBay, Google, IBM, Intel, McAfee, Facebook/Meta, Microsoft, Nvidia, PayPal, Pfizer, Salesforce, etc. 

This would require divestment from the S&P500, NASDAQ, and Dow Jones.

spacer.png

Divesting from half the US economy is a losing bet and a breach of an endowment's fiduciary responsibility to the school — which exists so that the school functions and has resources for facilities, classes, professors, research, scholarships, etc.

From the perspective of the administration, unlike in the 1968 protests, protesters are not just asking for a segregated gym to be canceled, they're asking for the school to bankrupt itself.

• Thumbs Down 7

18 minutes ago, oscarscheller said:

Attacks are never the answer and I condemn those either way, but I wonder where is the thread about campers physically stopping and attacking people purely based on their Jewishness (not even Zionism)

Where did this take place? I haven't seen this, and the protests have disproportionately been led by Jewish students. 

• Like 6

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.