Taylor Swift - 'THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT'

Almodusa

Just now, AndThenTheCocaine said:

I do think (and I'm parroting what someone said a while ago) that Taylor and (for example) Beyoncé represent two sides of femininity, Tay the softer, introspective-r side and Bey the more outspoken, bombastic side.

And part of the reason some of their fans hate each other('s fans) because they don't see the other side as valid, which is just plain bullshit tbh. Like I use Taylor when I want to get in my feels and Dua/Gaga when I want to jam to a bop, it's not that deep :gaycat7: it's almost as if people are complex and contain multitudes

Oh hey this was my theory :hug: 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 50.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastedpotential

• Dear Reader

• Klein

• Magickarp

1 hour ago, Mandalore said:

Yeah, Taylor was never an artist for "The Gays"™, she never pretended to be and never cared to operate in that kind of appeal. I can say so much about this but I know people will lurk and get their feelings hurt and it's Pride month so let me be nice...for now. :mandown:

Please tell me your full thoughts, i'd be curious to hear it. You can even DM me if you want :mandown:

And i'm a gay man myself, i just don't connect with this weird idea that pop girls should only appeal to ME :rip:

• Like 1

Just now, PoisonedIvy said:

Oh hey this was my theory :hug: 

Oh it was you :bibliahh:

I think you really spilled there ngl

29 minutes ago, Cleanromantic said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The funniest thing here is that she blocked Charlie without needing the digital versions. Her doing 35k without them and blocking the other's 27k debut is why I wish her team didn't panic often, cause now the haters are clinging to the digital releases for dear life when they have nothing to stand. Same as her only needing two voice memos to block Billie. 

Spoiler

They just shifted the narrative to "okay she didn't need the digitals but she shipped signed CDs!!!"

Meanwhile the signed CDs only accounted for 3k of the sales last week. Combine that with the digitals and that's 4k, which still leaves a gap of 3k which is pretty big for the UK charts :mandown:

This is why the "she's become the new BTS" narrative is a kii because she won in every department. Be mad at her releasing the extra editions all you want, whatever, but she would've had the #1 even without them. They just ignore it because it doesn't fit their narrative that she only won due to "fraud" :hippo:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Sometimes when they go low you have to go lower. I'm in the trenches. 

:clack: 

You're our bravest soldier at the moment. Go, king :heart:

Edited by Dear Reader
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AndThenTheCocaine said:

Oh it was you :bibliahh:

I think you really spilled there ngl

It's prevalent in their marketing too. Introspective and demure femininity is often seen as "the standard," think of the average American "ideal" wife — a "traditional" and approachable woman, like the "relatable" girl next door brand of Taylor.

Whereas the disruptive and indepndent-forward femininity is seen as something larger than life that exists outside the confines of structural societal norms — aka a deity that exists beyond our present realm, much like the way Bey markets herself. 

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Cleanromantic said:

Oh I clocked him being a hater since 2014, when he refused to review 1989 and called it bad and said he doesn't understand why people like her. Then he had the audacity to act like he loved og 1989 cause he was using it to disparage the TV :bibliahh:.  It's so transparent and if he was doing it to any other artist he'll be called out on his bullshit more. 

Ps: get ready to be thread banned and warned for being Off-topic. A certain two letter user name will eventually find their way into this thread.

When he reviewed Red TV (her most positive review from him iirc) but said he wasn't gonna score the TVs, and it was soooo obviously purely because he would've had to give at least an 8 to Red TV :deadbanana4:

Him making all those endless TikToks and tweets about WAOLOM, he said "nobody wants you dead Taylor" and then the next day there was a mega viral tweet wishing for her to die. Literally. You can't make this up :rip: 

• Haha 2

I would go low but I've been getting hit with warning points for the tamest comments, meanwhile people calling us racists and n@zis are engagement farming here and get pats on the back for it :deadbanana2: Truly like fave like stans :'(

Edited by Mandalore
  • Like 3

Just now, Holiest Dreams said:

When he reviewed Red TV (her most positive review from him iirc) but said he wasn't gonna score the TVs, and it was soooo obviously purely because he would've had to give at least an 8 to Red TV :deadbanana4:

Also him just giving SNTV a video on his second channel while returning to the main channel to lash 1989TV :deadbanana4:

• Haha 2

Have they opened the "swifties feel comfortable being homophobic in the ttpd thread" thread yet or are they waiting for a certain member to report in hq?:chick1:

• Haha 1

Just a side rant about all that's been going on lately, I hope people don't get too caught up in this. I don't think a single thing has truly shifted since last year, the only thing being that she's obviously making the industry uncomfortable with her domination. And that was bound to happen. But endless videos tour went "viral" last year with people online (it's always just Twitter and small sections of Reddit or TikTok) attempting to drag her performance skills. I really don't think there's a bigger wave of hate right now than there has been since Taylor Mania started last spring. It may seem worse because it's been coming more heavily from pop stan leaning spaces this time around (stan twt, ATRL, etc because of the Charli/Billie nonsense) but that's about it.

I suppose you could also say her universal acclaim streak has obviously ended. I don't think her next few albums will be fairly reviewed whatsoever. But I hope TTPD was the worst of it, because it was clearly an album people just couldn't digest immediately. 

At the end of the day, I only care about whether I like the music, visuals, etc first and foremost. And then speaking on what metrics concern me it's whether the GP still likes her, her fanbase is still with her, and that she's still relevant. Critics mean nothing to her anymore, so if I like what she's doing then I only ~care~ about seeing that other people in the real world like it as well.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

I would go low but I've been getting hit with warning points for the tamest comments, meanwhile people calling us racists and n@zis are engagement farming here and get pats on the back for it :deadbanana2: Truly like fave like stans :'(

It's ok, I'm taking on the martyr role. I don't want anyone else to suffer from my exercise in hyperbolic reflective irony & satire. I'm burning myself at the figurative stake just to make a point. :hug: When I'm gone just remember me fondly :chick3: 

I will doze off soon and wake up to banishment I'm sure. :dies: 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

It's ok, I'm taking on the martyr role. I don't want anyone else to suffer from my exercise in hyperbolic reflective irony & satire. I'm burning myself at the figurative stake just to make a point. :hug: When I'm gone just remember me fondly :chick3: 

I will doze off soon and wake up to banishment I'm sure. :dies: 

You look like

IMG_2271.thumb.jpeg.9cffcaff27d80ae014a1

Mother Teresa

In this light

We're loving it. You've got the irony

She never did

The future's bright. Dazzling

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Nick_317 said:

You look like

Mother Teresa

In this light

We're loving it. You've got the irony

She never did

The future's bright. Dazzling

:deadbanana4: 

yall crack me up 

1 hour ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Sometimes when they go low you have to go lower. I'm in the trenches. 

:clack: 

You sure have changed, you are in your villain era now :jonnycat:

• Haha 1

I'm confused. Pages of talking about other people whose opinions do not matter instead of the music. Is this not the problem?

1 hour ago, Nick_317 said:

You can see how pressed he is towards the end of the video like he is literally surpassing his anger:ahh::ahh:So much for someone that 'does not care' about charts:ahh:Literally OTH behaviour :ahh:

Is this a new video he just made? I'm NOT clicking on that crap :rip:

I know he's a Charli fanboy but does he really think Charli is not incredibly petty in her own right? :clown:

Just now, mxoonlight said:

I'm confused. Pages of talking about other people whose opinions do not matter instead of the music. Is this not the problem?

People are free to share their thoughts about it here since it's impossible to do it anywhere else without getting ganged up. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Enrique523 said:

You sure have changed, you are in your villain era now :jonnycat:

One might say I am.. poisoned ivy 

:ryan3: 

• Haha 1

One might say I am.. poisoned ivy 

:ryan3: 

Oh wow:gaylorcat2:

Sometimes going low is satisfying, especially when you still have the truth on your side.

4 minutes ago, Dear Reader said:

People are free to share their thoughts about it here since it's impossible to do it anywhere else without getting ganged up. 

She's selling millions of records weekly and has countless fans with adjacent communities online. If ATRL is what's breaking you, I don't know how totalitarian the validation you seek from enjoying her output needs to be honestly.

• Thumbs Down 1

It's prevalent in their marketing too. Introspective and demure femininity is often seen as "the standard," think of the average American "ideal" wife — a "traditional" and approachable woman, like the "relatable" girl next door brand of Taylor.

Whereas the disruptive and indepndent-forward femininity is seen as something larger than life that exists outside the confines of structural societal norms — aka a deity that exists beyond our present realm, much like the way Bey markets herself. 

And the funny thing is: Beyonce, on average, is WAY more acclaimed than Taylor. Nobody dares to go after Beyonce the way people attack Taylor because they're too afraid to be seen as "racist" while it's apparently ok to viciously attack Taylor 24/7 because she's a "privileged billionare white woman". As if Beyonce isn't a MASSIVELY privileged billionaire herself :rip:

Both of them are very different artists at the end of the day, comparing them makes zero sense. You don't see male artists been compared that way.

Edited by Enrique523

1 minute ago, mxoonlight said:

She's selling millions of records weekly and has countless fans with adjacent communities online. If ATRL is what's breaking you, I don't know how totalitarian the validation you seek from enjoying her output needs to be honestly.

ATRL is not breaking me or any of the swifties in here. Sometimes it's just fun to discuss things with other fans too. It's not that deep, I think. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, mxoonlight said:

It's human nature. It's literally why sports fans fight all year long about their favorite teams. No need to psychoanalyze it. "Us VS Them" is a fundamental foundation of human consciousness. 

• Like 2

I think it's time for us to start flooding this website with every single positive thing that goes viral about her, right? And make it sound like it went viral due to wrong reasons

• Haha 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.