But they forgot to come and get me
I was a functioning alcoholic
'Til nobody noticed my new aesthetic
All of this to say
I hope you're okay but you're the reason
And no one here's to blame
But what about your quiet treason? 

Also, did joe cheat? She mentions treason and my husband is cheating 

My personal interpretation of the song is that it's a fantasy of a timeline where the subject of the song has moved on to live a happy life while her life has been tragic. The "quiet treason" was that the muse moved on without her and left her with nothing but the memories and "what ifs". All they had together was a period of a fortnight that marked her forever, now all of her mornings are Mondays stuck in an endless February - a period of time before spring has sprung and life is more difficult, because she'll never get back the feeling of when she was with him.

Now both of them have moved on. However, he's in a happy marriage and she's in a bad one. Her husband is cheating, his wife is simply planting flowers. She wants to kill her husband for betraying her, she wants to kill his wife because she should be in her place. She constantly goes back into her mind to relive the memories of their time together, it's ruining her life because she can never truly be happy with anyone else. Then the perspective shifts at the end for Post Malone's part. The muse thought of calling her but he figured she wouldn't pick up (again, the quiet treason, he didn't even make the attempt). Another fortnight lost in America - time keeps passing them by.

The ending bit about "move to Florida, buy the car you want, but it won't start up til you touch me" - "Florida" on this album is a symbol for a place or person you go to when you're running away from something. So he's telling her to move on to someone else (if Florida here is representing a person) and the car is the means by which she will be getting there. However, because the car won't start unless he touches her, he knows that she'll never truly be able to move on since he hasn't given her that closure and she'll be stuck endlessly repeating the cycle of pining, wondering and waiting which are all themes that come up multiple times in the songs that follow.

The person that said that Fortnight kind of acts like a prologue to the album spilled! Sorry you didn't ask for an essay but I literally listen to these songs all day at work and think about the lyrics. :suburban:

tl;dr If you want to insert real people into the song. It's kind of like a nightmare scenario for her where she and Matty were never able to be together again and both ended up married and off the market. In her nightmare she's stuck in a shitty marriage with a cheating husband and he gets to be happy. They run into each other sometimes and she pretends she's fine but she's breaking down because she loves him so much it's ruining her life.

Edited by Kyle-x
  • Like 7

so happy to finally say that Fortnight has clicked for me, what a bop :jonny:

• Like 3

I think she wrote The Bolter about Sophie Tuner :giraffe:

I used to be so amazed that songs like Cornelia Street were solo written… but it all fades to nothing when I look at The Black Dog and WAOLOM :jonny2:

9 minutes ago, Kyle-x said:

My personal interpretation of the song is that it's a fantasy of a timeline where the subject of the song has moved on to live a happy life while her life has been tragic. The "quiet treason" was that the muse moved on without her and left her with nothing but the memories and "what ifs". All they had together was a period of a fortnight that marked her forever, now all of her mornings are Mondays stuck in an endless February - a period of time before spring has sprung and life is more difficult, because she'll never get back the feeling of when she was with him.

Now both of them have moved on. However, he's in a happy marriage and she's in a bad one. Her husband is cheating, his wife is simply planting flowers. She wants to kill her husband for betraying her, she wants to kill his wife because she should be in her place. She constantly goes back into her mind to relive the memories of their time together, it's ruining her life because she can never truly be happy with anyone else. Then the perspective shifts at the end for Post Malone's part. The muse thought of calling her but he figured she wouldn't pick up (again, the quiet treason, he didn't eve make the attempt). Another fortnight lost in America - time keeps passing them by.

The ending bit about "move to Florida, buy the car you want, but it won't start up til you touch me" - "Florida" on this album is a symbol for a place or person you go to when you're running away from something. So he's telling her to move on to someone else (if Florida here is representing a person) and the car is the means of which she will be getting there. However, because the car won't start unless he touches her, he knows that she'll never truly be able to move on since he hasn't given her that closure and she'll be stuck endlessly repeating the cycle of pining, wondering and waiting which are all themes that come up multiple times in the songs that follow.

The person that said that Fortnight kind of acts like a prologue to the album spilled! Sorry you didn't ask for an essay but I literally listen to these songs all day at work and think about the lyrics. :suburban:

thank you so much

i re-read the lyrics many times but still doesnt get the song until i hear her explanation on that radio show and now reading your post. 

The way this will be a no.1 smash but 80% of people doesnt understand what is it about lol.  Even as a die-hard fan im still not sure i understand the song 100%

• Like 1

Do we think Taylor has taken production lessons over the last few years in attempt to one day start solo producing tracks?

Would be amazing for her to top Speak Now by releasing a solo written and produced album

Edited by Saintlor
  • Like 3

Fortnight and Down Bad - two biggest smashes on the album

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chiliam said:

thank you so much

i re-read the lyrics many times but still doesnt get the song until i hear her explanation on that radio show and now reading your post. 

The way this will be a no.1 smash but 80% of people doesnt understand what is it about lol.  Even as a die-hard fan im still not sure i understand the song 100%

I think it's not much about Taylor at all.  Sophie and Joe a bit. They had a house in Florida.

'nother fortnight lost in America 

maybe. Who knows 

10 minutes ago, chiliam said:

thank you so much

The first few times I heard it like 80% of it was incomprehensible dddd. She puts us in the middle of the story and doesn't really give any context or any details of what preceded. Without listening to the rest of the album you don't get to the fill in the blanks. Part of why it was probably chosen as a single is because there are so few hyper specific details and it's more of a vibey moment

13 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

Do we think Taylor has taken production lessons over the last few years in attempt to one day start solo producing tracks?

Would be amazing for her to top Speak Now by releasing a solo written and produced album

If She makes an album very "essential" and stripped yeah She is able to produce at this point

• Like 1

I don't see much talking about it but CoSoSoM is up there with the saddest songs on this album. 

If you wanna break my cold, cold heart
Just say, "I loved you the way that you were"

Heartbreaking :weeps:

• Like 6

I'll tell you something 'bout my good name
It's mine alone to disgrace
I don't cater to all these vipers dressed in empath's clothin

the way she gagged us

SUvJA.gif

in an alternate universe, she released this album

The Anthology

1. Who's Afraid of Little Old Me?

2. The Black Dog
3. The Albatross
4. Florida!!! (feat. Florence + The Machine)
5. How Did It End?
6. Guilty as Sin
7. The Prophecy
8. I Hate It Here
9. But Daddy I Love Him
10. loml
11. The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived
12. The Bolter
13. So Long, London
14. I Look in People's Windows
15. So High School
16. Clara Bow

i left out many songs i love but i just thought this would make the most sense as a concise album sonically and narratively

(don't drag me this is just for my own fun)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

So Long, London's first verse is killer

I saw in my mind fairy lights through the mist
I kept calm and carried the weight of the rift
Pulled him in tighter each time he was driftin' away
My spine split from carrying us up the hill
Wet through my clothes, weary bones caught the chill
I stopped tryna make him laugh, stopped tryna drill the safe

It's absolutely genius because she has London-specific imagery there in a very very subtle way (the fairy lights = they are all over Southbank along the Thames and "kept calm" is referencing the Keep Calm And Carry On posters that the British used in WWII) 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, siegetheday said:

It's absolutely genius because she has London-specific imagery there in a very very subtle way (the fairy lights = they are all over Southbank along the Thames and "kept calm" is referencing the Keep Calm And Carry On posters that the British used in WWII) 

Also the area where they lived and which she mentions in the song (Hampstead) is full of hills and is unbearable to walk around because of how many hills there are

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Genius made an article about the album breaking the record for most read lyrics in 24 hours the first day with 40M.

the album is already the second "most read" studio album of all time in the platform with 55M after Eminem Curtain Call 2 64M. 

Edited by vale9001

AAAAAAAA MY VINYL AMD CD ARRIVEDD THEY'RE SO BEAUTIFUL

• Like 2

No wait Eminem Curtain Call 2 is a greatest hits record. I didn't know that

:suburban:

So it's already the most read studio studio album of all time. 

Edited by vale9001

27 minutes ago, roso said:

I'll tell you something 'bout my good name
It's mine alone to disgrace
I don't cater to all these vipers dressed in empath's clothin

the way she gagged us

SUvJA.gif

Tree showed her ATRL screenshots.

SUvJA.gif

1 hour ago, fridayteenage said:

if I were to cut the standard to 13 tracks, getting the chop would be: Florida, tortured Poets, and slammer.

:giraffe:

Slammer? One of the best songs on the album?

Now you take that back, please.:gayalipacat5:

This is the most beautiful physical package I've ever seen for both the vinyl and the CD, omg

• Like 2

my sister already has received the TTPD album, which she will give it to me soon.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, itsjem said:

This is the most beautiful physical package I've ever seen for both the vinyl and the CD, omg

The deluxe CD with all the bonus stuff is gorgeous. The packaging is the best I've seen!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kyle-x said:

Now both of them have moved on. However, he's in a happy marriage and she's in a bad one. Her husband is cheating, his wife is simply planting flowers. She wants to kill her husband for betraying her, she wants to kill his wife because she should be in her place. She constantly goes back into her mind to relive the memories of their time together, it's ruining her life because she can never truly be happy with anyone else. Then the perspective shifts at the end for Post Malone's part. The muse thought of calling her but he figured she wouldn't pick up (again, the quiet treason, he didn't even make the attempt). Another fortnight lost in America - time keeps passing them by.

The ending bit about "move to Florida, buy the car you want, but it won't start up til you touch me" - "Florida" on this album is a symbol for a place or person you go to when you're running away from something. So he's telling her to move on to someone else (if Florida here is representing a person) and the car is the means by which she will be getting there. However, because the car won't start unless he touches her, he knows that she'll never truly be able to move on since he hasn't given her that closure and she'll be stuck endlessly repeating the cycle of pining, wondering and waiting which are all themes that come up multiple times in the songs that follow.

tl;dr If you want to insert real people into the song. It's kind of like a nightmare scenario for her where she and Matty were never able to be together again and both ended up married and off the market. In her nightmare she's stuck in a shitty marriage with a cheating husband and he gets to be happy. They run into each other sometimes and she pretends she's fine but she's breaking down because she loves him so much it's ruining her life.

I love this song so much :jonny5:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.