Taylor Swift - 'THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT'

Almodusa

16 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

It's okay. Many of the Beatles albums had polarized reviews at the height of their fame. Similar to them, all of Taylor's albums seem to rise in stature with time.

Yeah, I can already taste the revisionism for this album in 5-10 years nn

• Like 5

• Replies 50.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastedpotential

• Dear Reader

• Klein

• Magickarp

3 minutes ago, sweetkiss said:

Her problem is that she does the same melody over and over again, I'm listening to alchemy, that type of singing in the chorus she has done not just on this album but on previous ones. if i didn't hear it from her already 3, million times it would be fine, it's just repetitive if it's repeated more than 2 times (from any artist, not just her)

:lakitu:

what artist in the world has not repeated "the same way of singing" at least 2 times 

Oh what a day to wake up to Guilty as Sin

WHAT IF HE'S WRITTEN 'MINE' ON MY UPPER THIGH ONLY IN MY MIND :WAP:

• Like 3

I'll say it — THE CRITICS ARE WRONG! **** THE NOISE!! AOTY!!

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9

26 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

It's okay. Many of the Beatles albums had polarized reviews at the height of their fame. Similar to them, all of Taylor's albums seem to rise in stature with time.

I remember the LASHINGS, the DRAGS, the SCATHING reviews for reputation back then. And the GP was saying also they do not like this angsty, dark Taylor 'cause it doesn't suit her.

now years later rep setlist is the most popular and acclaimed part of eras tour. The GP will switch again in TTPD and the retrospective acclaim will come.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TayDine1989 said:

Oh what a day to wake up to Guilty as Sin

WHAT IF HE'S WRITTEN 'MINE' ON MY UPPER THIGH ONLY IN MY MIND :WAP:

It's truly her best work :jonny:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kyle-x said:

I'll say it — THE CRITICS ARE WRONG! **** THE NOISE!! AOTY!!

spacer.png

Critics can suck a fart, they don't get it! TTPD is her best album, idc!

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The Albatros hit me like a ton of bricks today. Like what is it with Taylor's music suddenly hitting you out the blue? One moment it's mid asf then boom it makes sense and it breaks your heart :jonnycat:

I remember some fans trying to compare her career trajectory to Madonna which kinda makes sense:

reputation = Erotica  aka backlash era

Lover = Bedtime Stories aka taking back the narrative

folkmore = Ray of Light aka critical acclaim era

Midnights = Music aka smash era

TTPD = American Life aka panned era

cant wait for her COATD era then next!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Tusk said:

If we are talking about Fleetwood Mac: it's her Tusk. 

Omg and The Prophecy is her Storms (6/2/79 Version), I even have them on a playlist together already :jonny2:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sweetkiss said:

Her problem is that she does the same melody over and over again, I'm listening to alchemy, that type of singing in the chorus she has done not just on this album but on previous ones. if i didn't hear it from her already 3, million times it would be fine, it's just repetitive if it's repeated more than 2 times (from any artist, not just her)

Yes I think she always is singing very mellow in almost every song which contributes to the samey criticism. There's no major chest singing recently and there's laid back choruses. This combined with soft instrumentals blends the songs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KarmaCat said:

I remember the LASHINGS, the DRAGS, the SCATHING reviews for reputation back then. And the GP was saying also they do not like this angsty, dark Taylor 'cause it doesn't suit her.

now years later rep setlist is the most popular and acclaimed part of eras tour. The GP will switch again in TTPD and the retrospective acclaim will come.

About what GP are you talking about? Rep was a totally anonymous era sadly. Once the album was out people as you said were already annoyed after the first 2 singles , radios were not pushing songs and She released the album on Spotify After 2-3 weeks opening to non existent numbers After One week.

Here you have an album with stratospheric Sales and number of unique listeners and at day 4 on Apple music the tracks are even growing up.

This album doesn't need to be revalutate in retrospective cause It's big already now. 

Edited by vale9001

39 minutes ago, P!NK2LOVE said:

Okay, I'm going to do a super long rant now. 

Usually I'm not one to get lost in a narrative like the one that has transpired over the last few months here on ATRL. But enough is enough. This will be the only time I'm commenting on this ****, because that's what it is. S H I T.

For EVERY album release cycle here since 2020 (evermore), Swifties, casual listeners and just common pop culture enthusiasts have had to listen to and endure the pure SPEW that comes from the OTHs mouths on here. Trying to downplay EVERY single success this woman has. I know she is a billionaire etc. etc. and we shouldn't be feeling that sorry for her and I DON'T, it's just so funny but at times concerting to read and consume.

I've NEVER seen a bunch of people that focus SO MUCH. SO MUCH. Of their energies (collective stanbases) on the takedown of one woman who is at the TOP of her game. She is THERE because she is GOOD. She has GOOD intentions. That is why she has such a LARGE proportion of fans. And for those to say that she is only HUGE because of GIRLS and WHITE WOMEN are wrong. But even if that were the caee - what's so wrong with that? In this ****** up world we live in, are we not allowed to be escapists? Is it Taylor's fault that her ARTISTRY and CONNECTION with her fans is so ridiculed? It's giving internalised misogny. This has been going on FOREVER.

I used to find it exhausting sticking up for her but I don't care anymore. She might not be the best vocalist or the best performer but that's what makes her so so contagious. It's her STORY, her MELODIES, her LYRICS, her LIFE LESSONS that she shares so honestly. 

Crossing 2.3 million sales (or as the prediction reads, idk it's hard to keep up this week lol), is ******* FANTASTIC. But because it's not beating Adele it's not considered the best? Or because she released a double album its calculated? Like **** off with this ****. 

All our girls shine. In their own ways.

But STOP being so ******* BITTER and JEALOUS of the fact that...

TAYLOR

ALISON

SWIFT

...will ALWAYS be number one.

Get ******* used to it, fools.

At the end of the days, music is what bring so people together (maybe hatred for some). So let us focus and enjoy the subliminal beauty of this album that grows tremendously on many of us. Filter out those negative noises, as vipers wearing clothes of empathy, I bet you they are never really invested in causes they are trying to hold people they hate accountable 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KarmaCat said:

I remember some fans trying to compare her career trajectory to Madonna which kinda makes sense:

reputation = Erotica  aka backlash era

Lover = Bedtime Stories aka taking back the narrative

folkmore = Ray of Light aka critical acclaim era

Midnights = Music aka smash era

TTPD = American Life aka panned era

cant wait for her COATD era then next!

Are you forcing casual things. American Life was panned and a flop.

This Is right now bigger than Midnights so it's a smash era exactly like the One before.

And can absolutely win grammys with this kind of material.

Midnights has been acclaimed and won AOTY exactly like folklore. So both acclaimed. 

Thinking back, when I put out my theory about this album being Reputation's spiritual sister I didn't expect the parallels to include snarky reviews :toofunny2:

• Haha 2

You know what.

The mid polarized review will help this become a cult classic. Like the die hard fans of the album will keep defend this for years to come (i will be one of them). And maybe at the decade end list, we will have some *** switch, they gonna switch, they love to switch.

• Like 3

Down Bad is genuinely a career highlight :jonny4: she put crack in that chorus i think it might be one of her catchiest. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, chiliam said:

You know what.

The mid polarized review will help this become a cult classic. Like the die hard fans of the album will keep defend this for years to come (i will be one of them). And maybe at the decade end list, we will have some *** switch, they gonna switch, they love to switch.

I totally agree. I'm starting to understand why the Reputation fans are so diehard for that album!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, chiliam said:

You know what.

I agree :clap3:

@tusk  not this italian review really comparing It to tusk (and it's very positive, 8/10).

:dies:

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

So High School is kinda a career highlight, why?

• Like 1

I'm watching American Idol (I know), and this week's them is "billboard hot 100 #1's," and two people have done Taylor songs (ATW and Cardigan). And Target has done several commercials for the TTPD vinyl. She is inescapable, and I CAN stand it! :WAP:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, justin. said:

I'm watching American Idol (I know), and this week's them is "billboard hot 100 #1's," and two people have done Taylor songs (ATW and Cardigan). And Target has done several commercials for the TTPD vinyl. She is inescapable, and I CAN stand it! :WAP:

Pls I'm watching the voice and a girl did All Too Well too :jonny5:

The album really does get better with every listen :jonny2: The Alchemy is my current fixation

• Like 2

At least some conservatives still defend her, & read the full ******* lyric before judging :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.