Taylor Swift - 'THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT'

Almodusa

Just noticed the lyric in the title track is "Who's gonna hold you? Gonna know you? Gonna troll you?". "Gonna TROLL you" doesn't sound like a lyric she'd say in this song but then again the same song also has that Charlie Puth lyric …

• Replies 50.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastedpotential

• Dear Reader

• Klein

• Magickarp

I'm a bit confused when people say things like "it's poorly written"

Baby girl - DIRECT ME TO THE BAD LYRICS. WHERE ARE THEY?

And spare me the Charlie Puth thing, it was tongue and cheek (and lowkey genius trolling).

Edited by Peroxide
  • Thanks 4

Omg the critics and social media turning against her just in time for reputation TV

ahh history you never fail us 

Edited by PoisonedIvy
  • Like 5

don't know how the explain it but so many vocal moments on this album reminds me of her younger voice in the Big Machine albums (not a drag) 

1 minute ago, HandsToMyself said:

Just noticed the lyric in the title track is "Who's gonna hold you? Gonna know you? Gonna troll you?". "Gonna TROLL you" doesn't sound like a lyric she'd say in this song but then again the same song also has that Charlie Puth lyric …

Troll sounds like something Matty Healy says daily though and she's singing -to- him :rip: 

1 minute ago, B-Luke said:

So this one?

We declare Charlie Puth should be a bigger artist

She's literally talking about getting high with someone and talking complete and utter scheiße… :rip:

It's kinda brilliant.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, B-Luke said:

So this one?

Have you tried reading the rest of the verse or do you focus on that part for a quick drag? Context matters, hope that helps. 

• Like 4

Stop trying to explain the Charlie Puth thing, they don't -want- to understand it. It's that simple. Cause it's definitely not hard to apply the context. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Omg the critics and social media turning against her just in time for reputation TV

ahh history you never fail us 

It just hit me that thats the next album we most likely get from her :jonny:

• Like 1

I can't believe she gave me Evermore, my favourite Swift album, part 2 with Anthology.

I can't believe I got a direct sequel to Cowboy Like Me (one of my all time faves songs from her) with ICFH(NRIC)

#Blessed

Edited by Warm Blood

6 hours ago, Life Savers said:

When she hits up Charlie Puth and we get her Small Talk you'll be begging for GOATtonoff and Deityssner back :ryan3: 

I am ready for the downvotes, and I dislike Charlie Puta but... Small Talk is kinda a bop. Are yall ready for that conversation? Jack wishes he could make a fun song like that. And the lyrics are actually pretty interesting when you think about how weird it is when relationships end.

iJG3EB4.gif

• Haha 1

Just now, PoisonedIvy said:

Stop trying to explain the Charlie Puth thing, they don't -want- to understand it. It's that simple. Cause it's definitely not hard to apply the context. 

You'd think it wouldn't take 3 days to understand that, but I guess some people are really slow

spacer.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, B-Luke said:

So this one?

Exactly 

1 minute ago, Walk_Away21 said:

I am ready for the downvotes, and I dislike Charlie Puta but... Small Talk is kinda a bop. Are yall ready for that conversation? Jack wishes he could make a fun song like that. And the lyrics are actually pretty interesting when you think about how weird it is when relationships end.

iJG3EB4.gif

Sometimes I find Jack drags kinda funny, but this one just straight up delusional. I'm sorry sister 

iJG3EB4.gif

• Haha 1

This whole album summed up well "Forever is the sweetest con"

She always knew

Not that it matters… (it literally doesn't), but if we were going to ascribe muses to the songs…

I'll just do Volume 1:

Joe:

My Boy Only Breaks His Favourite Toys

So Long London

Matty:

Fortnight

The Tortured Poets Department

Down Bad (although it could be about Joe)

But Daddy I Love Him

Fresh Out The Slammer

Guilty As Sin

Florida

I Can Fix Him

Loml

The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived

Herself:

Clara Bow

ICDIWABH

Scooter/Scott/The Media:

WAOLOM

Travis/Matty:

The Alchemy

Edited by Peroxide

I don't understand 

The Charlie puth like Is bad cause the being bad or good depends on if Charlie puth should be a bigger artists for real or not?

If you put Charlie xcx becames cool?

The meaning of the line Is made by context and by all the Song narrative.

Why people are so basic and unable to understand even a Taylor Swift Song? :ahh:

Edited by vale9001
  • Haha 1

Wait, I just noticed that the big red banner at the stop says "DM me for fried chicken" and I let out a little SCRIHM

spacer.png

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dear Reader said:

Sometimes I find Jack drags kinda funny, but this one just straight up delusional. I'm sorry sister 

iJG3EB4.gif

As a Paper Rings and I Think He Knows stan, I just want some more bombastic production back for the next album. 1989 vault wasn't giving what needed to be gave. I like this album, but let's hope her and Travis don't break up before she's back in that recording booth. I need more So High Schools.

iJG3EB4.gif

5 hours ago, Dear Reader said:

"I just need to make a better album" and then releasing Lover flashbacks

spacer.png

Ok but the way Lover has been lapping her other albums with these insane streaming numbers. Taylor somehow always gets the last laugh. We clowned her and the clown came back to bite.

iJG3EB4.gif

• Like 1

Just now, Walk_Away21 said:

Ok but the way Lover has been lapping her other albums with these insane streaming numbers. Taylor somehow always gets the last laugh. We clowned her and the clown came back to bite.

iJG3EB4.gif

I guess all that's left to say is "Thank you, Cruel Summer" and guess who produced that one 

iJG3EB4.gif

10 minutes ago, Peroxide said:

She's literally talking about getting high with someone and talking complete and utter scheiße… :rip:

It's kinda brilliant.

I like the line, humorous and paints the picture so clearly in your head :bird:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dear Reader said:

Have you tried reading the rest of the verse or do you focus on that part for a quick drag? Context matters, hope that helps. 

Yep nothing more, nothing less

the charlie puth line sounds like something that really happened, specific lyrics like this are not new in taylors discography and its far from the worst lyric on the album so who even cares

the only controversial thing abt it is that charlie puth is already appropriately famous for his music.

Edited by SlimyGhoul

• ATRL Moderator

It’s funny that so many of you were saying that I Can Do It With a Broken Heart was unlistenable, but that’s the song resonating with people the most. It could definitely be structured a bit better but it’s so fun

• Like 7

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.