Taylor Swift - 'THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT'

Almodusa

• ATRL Moderator
19 minutes ago, 305 said:

I'm not sure what it is!!! I feel like maybe the themes are too common or have already been done by her? I can't put my finger on it but something isn't clicking 

I agree with @Walk_Away21 about the lack of strong melodies on the standard edition (at least on my initial listens). I Can Do It With a Broken Heart has the most memorable chorus to me but even that song has an odd structure. I’ve connected to more songs on The Anthology so far 

• Replies 50.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastedpotential

• Dear Reader

• Klein

• Magickarp

WHAT IF HE'S WRITTEN 'MINE' ON MY UPPER THIGH ONLY IN MY MIIIIIIIIIIIIND

giphy.gif

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, pinkbowvintage said:

People are being so hard on Taylor over Matty when I guarantee most of us have been embarrassingly dickmatized by at least one f-boy or f-girl like this before :gaycat2:

the hot and cold relationships are often the most exciting muses:gayalipacat5:

A ''what if'' crush/love is really powerful when it overtakes you, especially if you're a hopeless romantic by nature. I recently had a situation last year where it was a brief but intense crush that couldn't be due to circumstances: the way I reacted to the end of it, parting ways with the guy, you would've thought it lasted at least more than 2 weeks :bibliahh:

The clearer timeline of the record has made me appreciate it more.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Almodusa said:

How's my thread doing 

spacer.png

Swish Swish Goner GIF by Katy Perry

13 minutes ago, pinkbowvintage said:

Yes, it's true. Taylor and Matty first met in 2014, I believe. They were mutual fans of each other and Taylor attended his shows. They were rumored to have hooked up at least once around that time before Taylor started dating Calvin.

I do think this is a long-running crush/infatuation she had, not just some random fling for a couple months. This relationship definitely hurt her in a way others didn't and I get why. He was someone I believe she always wanted ("the 1") but the stars finally aligned for them in 2023 only for them to go crashing down, partly under the court of public scrutiny.

My tin hat theory is a big part of why she let things finally end with Joe was that Matty had probably said he would be there for her in the fallout. Then when things went left and she was left standing in the ruins of two relationships with years of baggage it was devastating. I feel like there are so many Matty songs because the ending with Joe was a slow end with more time to process while the Matty thing completely blew up in her face after delusionally believing it would've worked. :khalyan:

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Walk_Away21 said:

The standard doesn't have that many strong melodies IMO and the production is minimal and blends together on a lot of them. I'd suggest listening in small pieces to learn each song more. Then just pick and choose your faves. 31 songs is so many, there's bound to be some you don't connect with. Plus, a lot of the lyrics are almost too personal to where you don't connect as much while listening imo. I'm just gonna playlist my faves and go from there. And it's a lowtempo album like Evermore, I don't think it will be a constant streamer like 1989 or so.

Yeah I'm splitting up the albums as intended and only listening to the standard first because I listened to it all through and it was just a bit too much. I'll start listening to the anthology in a few days to grasp it all, I have a feeling I might appreciate that one a bit more 

1 minute ago, Kyle-x said:

My tin hat theory is a big part of why she let things finally end with Joe was that Matty had probably said he would be there for her in the fallout. Then when things went left and she was left standing in the ruins of two relationships with years of baggage it was devastating. I feel like there are so many Matty songs because the ending with Joe was a slow end with more time to process while the Matty thing completely blew up in her face after delusionally believing it would've worked. :khalyan:

Oh I think that's definitely what happened as there is a LOT of overlap in those relationships, and thus, we get "Guilty as Sin?" with her considering going for it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pinkbowvintage said:

Oh I think that's definitely what happened as there is a LOT of overlap in those relationships, and thus, we get "Guilty as Sin?" with her considering going for it.

The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived also suggests there was some overlap: "'Cause it wasn't sexy once it wasn't forbidden".

Her and Matty basically got together right after the Joe break-up and that didn't last long.

Edited by Klein
  • Like 2

The album will be a hit first week ww a guarantee at this point i hope she has promo and music videos lined up to sustain the album on the charts..

• Like 1

When do you guys think that she'll tell us about the weekly plan?

Do we even think there is one? Maybe was only for Friday-Saturday?

Also, Drake is climbing high and fast because AM not combining the songs, it's 2024 and it's still taking them between 3-4 days every single time. I will never understand it 😋

1 minute ago, kayliah said:

The album will be a hit first week ww a guarantee at this point i hope she has promo and music videos lined up to sustain the album on the charts..

On the one hand, there's no singles that will sustain this album. On the other hand, Folklore is doing 9M streams four years later…

Who's afraid of little old first day spotify numbers

jessie-j.gif

Exile - Evermore - ???

I fear the third sister aka TS12 aka The Anthology didn't give us a trilogy.

7 minutes ago, kayliah said:

The Eras Tour could be a good promo 

6 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

On the one hand, there's no singles that will sustain this album. On the other hand, Folklore is doing 9M streams four years later…

I can see So High School to became a single 

I don't really like the Fortnight video... Taylor babes it's okay to hire other directors :suburban:

3 minutes ago, Diesel is Desire said:

I don't really like the Fortnight video... Taylor babes it's okay to hire other directors :suburban:

True in most times but this one is really good.

• Thanks 3

Clara Bow is gorgeous 

• Like 1

This mv is EXCELLENT! my one complaint is it seems like Posty had some Epione done which froze half his face? what was going on with the right side of his face? Is it like a purpusful thing to sing from the side of his mouth like that? I didn't notice it before. :suburban:

Also...do you guys think this will be the only music video this era? her post kind of makes me think so lol.

Not swifties in here playing little detectives on Tay's life again when she JUST dragged yo asses for that. Let ha live! :rogue:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Diesel is Desire said:

I miss Joseph khan. She's becoming so full of herself... this album 's metacritic keep going down and I agree with that nasty review from Paste. We're now on album No 4 with the same producers...

"You look like Taylor Swift
In this light, we're lovin' it
You've got edge, she never did
The future's bright, dazzling"

Natalie Portman Trippin GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1

My wish for the next album is that she goes all out with the So High School/Hits Different sound :jonny4:

• Like 5

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.