USC bans Pro-Palestine valedictorian from speaking at graduation

Bhabylon

30 minutes ago, Dr. Alexander said:

Did either of you read or learn about what was included in her speech?

She literally called for the destruction of Israel in the speech. Inappropriate.

Imagine a valedictorian going on stage and calling for the destruction of the white race due to racism and hate crimes against people of color in the country. Be for real…

now I know you didn't even read the damn article because she literally hasn't even released her speech :rip: stop lying 

Dr. Alexander
3 minutes ago, Bhabylon said:

now I know you didn't even read the damn article because she literally hasn't even released her speech :rip: stop lying 

What the **** I got to lie about? I've been following this story all morning and I just watched a commentator on CNN who read the speech and got entail from the university and that's exactly what came out of his mouth. 

Loud and wrong. Now go sit in the corner.

• Haha 1

Because that nobody valedictorian making another statement that everyone has heard by now in the US is really going to help anything. Even minor events now can't pass without some sort of activism and politicization. Let's refocus and spend energy on actually important and practical activism please

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 7

Another pretend controversy. Everyone knows that political statements have been barred from commencement speeches since the beginning of time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

19 minutes ago, Dr. Alexander said:

What the **** I got to lie about? I've been following this story all morning and I just watched a commentator on CNN who read the speech and got entail from the university and that's exactly what came out of his mouth. 

Posted today, from CNN themselves:

Although Tabassum said she had not started working on the speech, she said it would have been "a message of hope.”

So you're either playing stupid, or legitimately don't know how to read.

Dr. Alexander
25 minutes ago, Bhabylon said:

Posted today, from CNN themselves:

So you're either playing stupid, or legitimately don't know how to read.

***** that story was created yesterday and was updated at 1:00 in the morning today. Like I said, I saw it on live television an hour or two ago from a commentator on CNN. Either he got the updated story, lied, or didn't know what he was talking about. Regardless, I posted what I saw and heard. 

So you can take that quote and stick it up yo ass

Not the other antisemite following suite and disliking. :rip:

• Thumbs Down 5

I graduated from USC and trust and believe when I say they are an evil institution that will do anything that brings them $$$ and anything that could threaten that, they will shut it down. 

They have so many skeletons in their closet, it's a horrible place. I'm grateful for the education I got there, but the school is corrupt asf. I don't know if they would have allowed a pro-Israel speech, but they have been fairly pro-Israel without openly saying it.

I guarantee if their pockets were loaded with money coming in from Palestine (not really possible) or Israel (more likely, not saying it's the case here though) they would allow pro-whatever. It's actually disgusting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Alexander said:

Did either of you read or learn about what was included in her speech?

She literally called for the destruction of Israel in the speech. Inappropriate.

Imagine a valedictorian going on stage and calling for the destruction of the white race due to racism and hate crimes against people of color in the country. Be for real…

No, I did not read the speech, but I do understand why a school would not want this to be said.

However, do we believe they would have the same reaction if a Jewish person went on stage and vowed to destroy the "Gazan terrorists"? I have a feeling the answer would be no.

1 hour ago, Dr. Alexander said:

***** that story was created yesterday and was updated at 1:00 in the morning today. Like I said, I saw it on live television an hour or two ago from a commentator on CNN. Either he got the updated story, lied, or didn't know what he was talking about. Regardless, I posted what I saw and heard. 

So you can take that quote and stick it up yo ass

Your source: trust me bro

Next :zzz:

3 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

I graduated from USC and trust and believe when I say they are an evil institution that will do anything that brings them $$$ and anything that could threaten that, they will shut it down. 

They have so many skeletons in their closet, it's a horrible place. I'm grateful for the education I got there, but the school is corrupt asf. I don't know if they would have allowed a pro-Israel speech, but they have been fairly pro-Israel without openly saying it.

Same here. The way this school did nothing when I told them about how I was sexually assaulted by a professor :rip:

The institution itself is evil, but like you said, I'm grateful for the education I got there as well as the friends I found there.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Bhabylon said:

Your source: trust me bro

Next :zzz:

Same here. The way this school did nothing when I told them about how I was sexually assaulted by a professor :rip:

The institution itself is evil, but like you said, I'm grateful for the education I got there as well as the friends I found there.

I'm sorry that happened to you, that school is heinous when it comes to defending their "reputation" over the safety, enrichment and wellbeing of their students. You deserve a place that actually cares for you beyond your tuition payments.

I went there from 2016-2020 and that whole period was FILLED with scandals ranging from the Olivia Pope debacle to the health department's gynecologist sexually assaulting numerous people (something that was an open secret for YEARS until USC was under scrutiny). I don't know if all colleges are that bad but USC is truly the pits when it comes to morals, there's absolutely no desire from the administration to improve or do better, only to brush things under the rug as much as possible so they can continue to siphon money out of their huge rich alumni base.

• Like 1

💀I still believe it would've been canceled no matter who but at least stand by your beliefs instead of squirming out of em when confronted. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

5 hours ago, AMIT said:

Thanks for the link. My point is not "rules should never be changed", it's that she isn't being targeted because of her anti-Israel beliefs as the OP implies. Any student who submitted a graduation speech with divisive political rhetoric would not have their speech approved.

• Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, PoisonPill said:

Thanks for the link. My point is not "rules should never be changed", it's that she isn't being targeted because of her anti-Israel beliefs as the OP implies. Any student who submitted a graduation speech with divisive political rhetoric would not have their speech approved.

Milo Yanapolous was at this same university when he was spreading Jewish conspiracies, racist rhetoric and making gun of feminists. Doesn't make sense to me that they censor her

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sannie said:

No, I did not read the speech, but I do understand why a school would not want this to be said.

However, do we believe they would have the same reaction if a Jewish person went on stage and vowed to destroy the "Gazan terrorists"? I have a feeling the answer would be no.

lol yes, that absolutely would have also been barred. As a general rule, Political declarations are not allowed in graduation speeches, which are meant to celebrate a large diverse student body on the biggest day of their lives.

3 minutes ago, SmittenCake said:

Milo Yanapolous was at this same university when he was spreading Jewish conspiracies, racist rhetoric and making gun of feminists. Doesn't make sense to me that they censor her

Right… that was a guest speaker invited by a partisan political student group for a private event. Very much not the same as the official commencement ceremony hosted by the university to celebrate and hand diplomas to the graduating class of 10,000 students. Not sure if you're trolling or it's actually not clicking.

• Like 1

Good, antisemitism should not have any place at universities. :clap3:

• Thumbs Down 11

On 4/17/2024 at 4:27 AM, Gov Hooka said:

Trash university. Zionists wanna victimize themselves so bad about "rising antisemitism" when this is the ACTUAL reality in every facet of US life  

Do they have a segment dedicated to Palestinian people in their FAQ? 

How is USC combating antisemitism?

• USC President Carol Folt and the USC Board of Trustees have clearly and publicly denounced antisemitism in multiple messages and statements
  • In November 2023, USC hosted the Western Region Summit on Anti-Semitism in Higher Education conference in partnership with Hillel International and the Jewish Federation of Los Angeles. 
    • This two-day event, which President Folt enthusiastically agreed to host on USC's campus, was planned before the October 7 terrorist attacks, and promoted a deeper understanding of contemporary antisemitism among campus professionals, along with best practices to effectively respond. 
    • President Folt also provided keynote remarks that can be read here.
  • President Folt and her team have – and continue to hold – conversations with numerous Jewish leaders both on and off campus to learn about the history of antisemitism and determine steps to move forward.
  • The Advisory Committee on Jewish Life at USC has made a number of proposed recommendations aimed at combating antisemitism, addressing anti-Zionism, and developing and improving processes to address harassment and discrimination online and offline.
    • This includes a new Student Commitment published in Fall 2022 which establishes a clearly articulated, student-focused campus pledge to act in accordance with our community principles and unifying values. This will help encourage civil discourse among our students on campus and on social media.
  • In December 2023, President Folt was recognized by Hillel International as one of the university presidents "doing it right" to protect Jewish students in the midst of the conflict between Israel and Gaza. 

How is USC working with other universities and national partners to combat antisemitism?

• USC has hosted and participated in multiple conferences and meetings regarding combating campus antisemitism. 
    • In November 2023, USC hosted the Western Region Summit on Anti-Semitism in Higher Education conference in partnership with Hillel International and the Jewish Federation of Los Angeles. 
    • In early 2022, former Provost Chip Zukoski and Dean of Religious and Spiritual Life, Varun Soni represented USC at a national presidents' summit on antisemitism in higher education, hosted by Hillel International, the American Jewish Committee, and the American Council on Education. University leaders came together to collaborate on strategies to address this and other serious concerns about the safety and well-being of our Jewish students.
  • As Chair of the Association of American Universities (AAU), President Folt has – and continues to – discuss this issue more broadly with the Presidents of the nation's leading universities.
  • In December 2023, President Folt was recognized by Hillel International as one of the university presidents "doing it right" to protect Jewish students in the midst of the conflict between Israel and Gaza. 
  • USC is participating in the Academic Engagement Network's Signature Seminar Series, which brings together university and college administrators, including student affairs staff, diversity officials, and other campus professionals for online and in-person professional development to increase knowledge and awareness of Jewish identity, diversity, antisemitism, and inclusion on campus.
    • In January 2022, the AEN acknowledged USC for for its actions in supporting Jewish life and combating antisemitism.

The USC Shoah Foundation Institute for Visual History and Education aims to develop empathy, understanding and respect through testimony collection, strategic partnerships, global outreach, and research on the history and prevention of genocide.Holds the world's largest visual archive of Holocaust testimonies, and has collected testimonies from survivors of the October 7, 2023 Hamas terrorist attacks on Israel

Seems like they have no problem being political and framing Oct 7 as a mere terror attack. Do they have a segment on their homepage calling the assault on Gaza a genocide? 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.