USC bans Pro-Palestine valedictorian from speaking at graduation

Bhabylon

Infuriating :ace: 

The valedictorian is a muslim woman, but the school canceled her commencement speech because of her pro-Palestine stance

You already know what would've happened if the valedictorian was pro-Israel :coffee2:

Edited by Bhabylon
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bhabylon said:

You already know what would've happened if the valedictorian was pro-Israel :coffee2:

:confused: 
I feel like sometimes y'all live in your own fairytale 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 6

30 minutes ago, Bhabylon said:

I mean they most likely would've cancelled that too

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Everyone wants to be an activist so badly :rip:

• Haha 5
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 12

4 minutes ago, Elusive Chanteuse said:

Everyone wants to be an activist so badly :rip:

The girls haven't hit their quota of minimum 10 anti-Israel threads about Israel on ATRL today so they're scrambling before the clock hits midnight 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 10

🚨 BREAKING NEWS OF GLOBAL IMPORTANCE 🚨

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 8

I read the graduation was receiving threats of violence and death threats. They would've canceled it no matter who was giving it. 

• Thanks 1

Trash university. Zionists wanna victimize themselves so bad about "rising antisemitism" when this is the ACTUAL reality in every facet of US life  

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

I read the graduation was receiving threats of violence and death threats. They would've canceled it no matter who was giving it. 

That makes sense to cancel

Most schools refrain from having their students make political statement speeches at graduation ceremonies because it's not an activist setting. Speeches have to be sent for approval. If she wanted to discuss Palestinian issues she should have just snuck it in on the spot while giving her speech. Whether they would cut the mic or not is their call but that would have avoided any threats prior to the event.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Gov Hooka said:

Trash university. Zionists wanna victimize themselves so bad about "rising antisemitism" when this is the ACTUAL reality in every facet of US life  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnietzel/2023/10/11/harvard-faces-backlash-over-statements-about-hamas-attack-on-israel/?sh=69f390873af7

Are we forgetting this from just a few months ago? As I originally said, y'all live in your own fairytale. :deadbanana2:

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 7

26 minutes ago, bad guy said:

Most schools refrain from having their students make political statement speeches at graduation ceremonies because it's not an activist setting. Speeches have to be sent for approval. If she wanted to discuss Palestinian issues she should have just snuck it in on the spot while giving her speech. Whether they would cut the mic or not is their call but that would have avoided any threats prior to the event.

they didn't cancel it because they pre-read her speech, they cancelled because zionists were mad about her instagram bio.

In her Instagram biography, Tabassum links to a pro-Palestine landing page that reads in part, "Learn about what's happening in Palestine, and how to help.” Some students took to social media to express their opposition to her as their valedictorian due to the language on the landing page. The website states, "Zionism is a racist settler-colonial ideology that advocates for a Jewish ethnostate built on Palestinian land.”

Student groups and other on-campus clubs, such as Chabad and Trojans for Israel, called for the "reconsideration" of the valedictorian.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• ATRL Moderator

Students should skip graduation and create an alternate event, where Asna is able to give a speech to her peers. Being valedictorian and not getting to do the commencement speech due to your Instagram bio is wild.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sun said:

:confused: 
I feel like sometimes y'all live in your own fairytale 

i know a pro israel dupe is gonna pro israel dupe, but if the situation was flipped and students were mad that a valedictorian was vocally pro israel on social media, USC would not dare cancel the speech and face recriminations of anti-semitism by the media, donors, and the united states SENATE. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, GhostBox said:

Violence and death threats from whom?

But i forget your remedy for these encroachments on freedom of expression is "Just vote Democrat HARDER" even though California is a liberal oasis and USC isn't exactly a Republican-friendly institution either

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, teresaguidice said:

they didn't cancel it because they pre-read her speech, they cancelled because zionists were mad about her instagram bio.

Yeah. It's unfortunate for her that the school was basically forced to cut her speech because of threats out of her control. While I do think they wouldn't cut the speech of someone openly pro-Israel, I do think had their been a student with hardcore Zionist/destruction of Palestine sentiments on social media there would be an uproar as well (rightfully so) and USC would choose to avoid any conflict and cut that speaker. 

USC is a for-profit private institution and depends on donors. Much of the donors they get are from liberals but also conservatives, both of whom are majority pro-Israel so I'm not surprised they're trying to appease donors. 

1 hour ago, teresaguidice said:

i know a pro israel dupe is gonna pro israel dupe, but if the situation was flipped and students were mad that a valedictorian was vocally pro israel on social media, USC would not dare cancel the speech and face recriminations of anti-semitism by the media, donors, and the united states SENATE. 

The way some new pro Zionazist accounts popped up on ATRL for the last few months after we got their dupe accounts lol I know those genocide supporters are mad as hell :bibliahh:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sun said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnietzel/2023/10/11/harvard-faces-backlash-over-statements-about-hamas-attack-on-israel/?sh=69f390873af7

Are we forgetting this from just a few months ago? As I originally said, y'all live in your own fairytale. :deadbanana2:

You're gonna not be an active user in 12~ or so days given the rate you're exposing yourself as a dupe, but just to fact-check you, the vast majority of Jewish American college students don't believe antisemitism to be a major problem on college campus - let alone one due to the American left - and actually cite when polled things like anti-black racism and even Islamophobia as more pressing issues in America than antisemitism:

On 1/2/2024 at 6:37 PM, Communion said:

There is no evidence or data showing some phenomena of Jewish American students feeling in danger on college campuses, let alone *because* of left-wing or pro-Palestine groups. In fact, the majority of actual Jewish American students and young people do not view antisemitism in America as pressing as an issue as anti-black racism or Islamophobia

F_EJAnhXQAAWfbq?format=jpg&name=large

Dr. Alexander

Good.

There is literally no reason for it to be mentioned. It is an event where they are recognizing and acknowledging student academic achievement, hard work, and pushing them off to their next endeavors in life. It's a big moment for them.

I am more than positive the students and the audience is aware about what is going on which is what her motive would be - to bring awareness. There's a time and place. A graduation ceremony is not that place.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Alexander said:

Good.

There is literally no reason for it to be mentioned. It is an event where they are recognizing and acknowledging student academic achievement, hard work, and pushing them off to their next endeavors in life. It's a big moment for them.

I am more than positive the students and the audience is aware about what is going on which is what her motive would be - to bring awareness. There's a time and place. A graduation ceremony is not that place.

She should be able to use her speech to talk about what she wants. Not everything has to be apolitical and divorced from reality. 

12 hours ago, GhostBox said:

While I do understand this logic, I feel like if it was someone else speaking, they would have beefed up security instead.

2 hours ago, Dr. Alexander said:

Good.

Erm, people often speak about personal struggles and stories during their commencement speeches. It would make total sense for her to bring Palestine up. Her being a Muslim woman in America succeeding at the level she did is inspiring.

Edited by Sannie

Not the same 3 antisemites disliking my posts every time I post in these threads despite me having them on ignore. 
let me go back to Mariah Carey base :rip:

• Thumbs Down 5

just saw this on the news, definitely sad but her social media had links to support "the complete abolishment of israel"?? not surprising that they banned it, even if she's on the correct side

Dr. Alexander
46 minutes ago, Sannie said:

Erm, people often speak about personal struggles and stories during their commencement speeches. It would make total sense for her to bring Palestine up. Her being a Muslim woman in America succeeding at the level she did is inspiring

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

She should be able to use her speech to talk about what she wants. Not everything has to be apolitical and divorced from reality. 

Did either of you read or learn about what was included in her speech?

She literally called for the destruction of Israel in the speech. Inappropriate.

Imagine a valedictorian going on stage and calling for the destruction of the white race due to racism and hate crimes against people of color in the country. Be for real…

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.