Brit Smith's "Karma" outcharting Jojo's. Surprised?

mercurialworld

From Forbes:

Days after former "Dance Moms" and Nickelodeon star JoJo Siwa released her single "Karma" in an attempt to pivot to a more mature image, a recording of the same track from 2012 by the largely unknown artist Brit Smith went viral on TikTok, prompting Smith to release her version—and earning Smith a higher rank on the iTunes chart than Siwa.

JoJo Siwa released her single "Karma" on April 5 to a generally negative critical reception after teasing for weeks that her image, formerly curated for young audiences, would shift to a more mature focus.

Within days of Siwa's single release, clips of the unreleased music video from former singer Brit Smith's 2012 recording of the song went viral on TikTok, with some garnering millions of likes and many commenters praising Smith's take on the track.

As of Monday afternoon, Smith's recording of the song (released under the title "Karma's a *****”) ranks No. 8 on the U.S. iTunes pop charts, while Siwa's "Karma" is No. 89.

SCREENSHOT-media-Who-is-Brit-Smith-the-s

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Talent winning.

• Like 6

Omg :jonny5: I know it's only iTunes but still :deadbanana2:

3 minutes ago, xluvxduffxmusicx said:

Omg :jonny5: I know it's only iTunes but still :deadbanana2:

I expect something similar to happen to AM/Spotify charts when they get updated

Tea Time Omg GIF

Matisse finally getting her flowers was definitely not in my cards for this year. :jonny:

Edited by SuperCiC1

Y'all hyping up this regular random 38 year old woman just to **** on young queer woman JoJo Siwa. Very telling!

selena.thumb.jpeg.d8a106c06001c9a2e42bc6

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 8

4 minutes ago, Prodigal Self said:

Y'all hyping up this regular random 38 year old woman just to **** on young queer woman JoJo Siwa. Very telling!

Talent trumps identity points

megan-thee-stallion-sushi.thumb.gif.907b

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Prodigal Self said:

You making it about identity politics over talent is way more telling of you.

• Like 14

17 minutes ago, JO1s said:

You making it about identity politics over talent is way more telling of you.

I don't care about any of this and I'm not sure either of them got talent worthy of all that online discourse I shouldn't have participated in. Go off and have a nice day x

GHFlNDwbUAAYJhz.thumb.png.0a354fee2aef34

Edited by Prodigal Self
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

good :clap3:   after Jojo said she created a new genre i'm glad Britt Smith's one dropped shortly after

• Like 2

Guys... stop fighting. This isn't us 933145782524207154.webp?size=60&quality=

We can support both queens!

• Like 2

Why do people put timabaland in music videos. All he does it make stupid facial expressions. Also that haircut makes her look like Natalie Maines Jr

OT: cant listen to this beautiful song with the timabaland version. They elevated that production oh so perfectly 👌

Edited by Tudors

Not jojo launching someone else's music career

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not Jojo taking another page out of Miley's book :thing: her "Prisoner" moment 

Jojo shouldve known better instead of effing around 

• Like 1

torturedpoet

Both songs are garbage :rip: 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

How is this doing on main charts? Jojo version 

When Jojo and Brit come out as a POWER couple and reveal this was planned all along >>>>

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nope not surprised! I've been streaming the superior song all day and now I can admit it's a catchy song! :cm:

As of Monday afternoon, Smith's recording of the song (released under the title "Karma's a *****”) ranks No. 8 on the U.S. iTunes pop charts, while Siwa's "Karma" is No. 89.

no the itunes POP charts :deadbanana4: there's probably a 3 sales difference between them

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

I kind of feel sorry for Jojo. All she did was release a song and video and people have been bullying her nonstop ever since. I hope Brit Smith officially released hers for the right reasons and it wasn't a shady attempt to get more hate piled on to Jojo. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

44 minutes ago, torturedpoet said:

Both songs are garbage :rip: 

At least Brit made hers back when this sound would've actually worked.  Ijs lol. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.