Leaked NYT Gaza memo says avoid words “genocide,” “ethnic cleansing,” “occupied"

GraceRandolph

THE NEW YORK TIMES instructed journalists covering Israel's war on the Gaza Strip to restrict the use of the terms "genocide" and "ethnic cleansing" and to "avoid" using the phrase "occupied territory" when describing Palestinian land, according to a copy of an internal memo obtained by The Intercept.

The memo also instructs reporters not to use the word Palestine "except in very rare cases" and to steer clear of the term "refugee camps" to describe areas of Gaza historically settled by displaced Palestinians expelled from other parts of Palestine during previous Israeli–Arab wars. The areas are recognized by the United Nations as refugee camps and house hundreds of thousands of registered refugees.

The memo — written by Times standards editor Susan Wessling, international editor Philip Pan, and their deputies — "offers guidance about some terms and other issues we have grappled with since the start of the conflict in October.”

While the document is presented as an outline for maintaining objective journalistic principles in reporting on the Gaza war, several Times staffers told The Intercept that some of its contents show evidence of the paper's deference to Israeli narratives.

"I think it's the kind of thing that looks professional and logical if you have no knowledge of the historical context of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict,” said a Times newsroom source, who requested anonymity for fear of reprisal, of the Gaza memo. "But if you do know, it will be clear how apologetic it is to Israel.”

First distributed to Times journalists in November, the guidance — which collected and expanded on past style directives about the Israeli–Palestinian conflict — has been regularly updated over the ensuing months. It presents an internal window into the thinking of Times international editors as they have faced upheaval within the newsroom surrounding the paper's Gaza war coverage.

Full article:https://theintercept.com/2024/04/15/nyt-israel-gaza-genocide-palestine-coverage/

• Like 2

You're telling me capitalist imperialist media answers to the interests of capitalist imperialists?

GIzk-l2WAAArEUC?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Quite obvious.

NYT has lost all credibility as a news source. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

*pretends to be shocked gif*

NYT is the United States' newspaper of record so there are definitely directives coming from the powers that be.

They're fighting a losing battle though. Younger people have historically low trust in institutions.

• Like 1

The West has shown itself to be brazen and corrupt. I have zero confidence in it as an entity for human development or peace.

• Like 4

not to be that person but most media bosses have one thing in common...

• Confused 1

They have done  far worse than this. 

This is like the norm to be expected. 

The American Government will never see Palestinians as human beings. Israel is their gateway into the Middle East. They'll never care, it's extremely vile

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, XAMJ said:

not to be that person but most media bosses have one thing in common...

Yup... being capitalists. Rich. Affluent.

Rich Christians. Rich Muslims. Rich Jews. Rich Atheists. Don't ever forget, mama, the war central to so many conflicts is a CLASS war.

• Like 10

But when you point out who strong arms these publications they call you the A word 

And yet USians will claim that dirtrags like NYT, CNN, BBC, CBC, NPR aren't propaganda outlets and that there's "real journalism" and "free press" in the West. Mkay. Atleast the Genocide in Gaza has shoved the biggest knife in the the throat of "Western values and human rights" 

• Like 3

It's anti-semitism to accuse such things....!!!! - said brain damaged Zionazists

I am not from the USA, so I ask: Is there a news website or TV channel from that country that I can trust? Where do you mainly get your information? 

19 minutes ago, bliaz said:

I am not from the USA, so I ask: Is there a news website or TV channel from that country that I can trust? Where do you mainly get your information? 

In general, you shouldn't trust any news source fully 100% of the time.  However, you can trust many ~90% of the time and with that you can make a patchwork.  

• Like 1

Shocked Oh My GIF by ABC Network

surprise surprise. I kind of figured given that most major news outlets are absolutely trying to frame this as Hamas antagonizing Israel forcing a response. It's shitty but I'm not surprised. Wish they would just called it like it is.  

No country does propaganda as well as America.

This is in the same vein as the "special military operation" :rip: the way US and ruZZia have so much in common... wow wow wow

14 hours ago, bliaz said:

Thanks for asking! And good job being sus of mainstream media online or on TV, because they are usually biased to some degree.

At this point, I only trust independent or non profit media organizations. 

Check out both Democracy Now! and Breaking Points

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.