US business owner hunger striking over bike lanes

DAP

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/san-francisco-business-hunger-strike-bike-lane/3509250/

A San Francisco business owner says that business along Valencia Street has been negatively affected since a protected bike lane opened in middle of the street. Now, he's started a hunger strike to bring attention to the consequences he says are happening on the corridor.

"I'm doing a hunger strike for 30 days. So, water and once in a while juice,” said Eiad Eltawil. "The main problem is the bike lane.”

Eltawil and his family owns Yasmin Restaurant and Rossi Mission SF.

The bike lane is part of a pilot project to protect cyclists.

"We were against it from the start. They took away 79 parking [spots,] they made a commercial zone,” said Eltawil said.

Eltawil added the bikes are not the only issue and so far, he said that reaching out to the city hasn't amounted to much.

"There is no more customer that want to come here because there is no parking. Customer sit outside and ask me what to do and it is very frustrating. So there is a huge loss of business because of this bike lane,” he said.

Eltawil said he's seeing changes along the corridor.

"Five businesses last week closed,” he said.

The bike lanes run up the center of the street while cars use the outer lanes.

NBC Bay Area spoke to some bicyclists Saturday as they shared about their experience.

"I'm using it twice a week. It's working really well for me," said San Francisco resident Christian Bonvin. "I feel like there is less traffic with cars because there is only one lane for each car. But in general, I feel safer." 

"I do like the lanes. I take it to work, I commute on these lanes. I think they're very helpful,” said Jon Savage of San Francisco. 

Another bicyclist told NBC Bay Area off-camera Saturday that he does not like the bike lanes or use them.

It's hard to tell how much the bike lanes contributed noted to changes along the corridor. But David Quinby told NBC Bay Area Saturday that he had to close his venue in November.

Eltawil said he will continue to ask the city of San Francisco.

"Please take out the bike lane. Let's get tighter and figure out a better and decide all of us,” he said.

In a statement, SFMTA said it's talking with businesses on Valencia Street and plans to continue to collaborate to "work on solutions that best protect both businesses and bicyclists on the corridor.”

spacer.png

• Haha 1

IMG_8152.thumb.gif.ed1d92b5eef6b37e1d13b

• Haha 1

Why did I know this was gonna be in San Francisco? :rip:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

there will literally always be a war between what is GOOD for people and what is GOOD for business because those two things are DIAMETRICALLY opposed to one another.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

San Francisco is a **** hole. That man needs to move out of there asap 

Bike lanes in the middle? Those bicyclists are already entitled as **** I can already imagine the headache driving thru that road 

• Thumbs Down 3

3 minutes ago, 50thStateofMind said:

there will literally always be a war between what is GOOD for people and what is GOOD for business because those two things are DIAMETRICALLY opposed to one another.

Except in this case bike lanes are both good for the people and good for business.  Pretty much every study I have seen on this has supported bike lanes as either having no effect or positive effects for businesses.

• Like 2

This is just another example of how car culture is brain rot.  I say we call this man's bluff.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Starve then.

10 minutes ago, 50thStateofMind said:

I mean walkable cities and less reliance on cars would be better for local businesses and the people but bad for the multi billion dollar automotive industry 

• Like 1

8ad6ea717235ca03e618c2296affa246.gif

wont he die if he doesnt eat for 30 days?

Anyways 

Mind you that cars cause the death of more than a million people every year. Bicycles? They get crashed by cars :coffee2:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EtherealCat said:

If he drinks enought water he might make it to 40 days :ryan3:

11 minutes ago, EtherealCat said:

In that case...

• Haha 1

Using bike lanes as a scapegoat for a failing business, what's new?  Crazy how most of the businesses on that street are doing fine and his is failing, but no, it's the bikes!

I'm very familiar with that area and the business owners with poorly-performing businesses have been crying about this for so long and no one takes them seriously :priceless: 

I know this was about the bike lanes on Valencia in SF before I opened this :ahh:

The business owners have been outraged for months about the new bike lanes.

This is probably the stupidest article I've read today. :ahh:

hes kinda hot. don't lose the bear belly daddy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.