Canadian nonbinary person scores major legal victory

Ash12345

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontarian-wins-legal-battle-for-public-funding-of-gender-affirming-surgery-argued-as-experimental-1.6843548

The Ontario resident, who identifies as she/her, feels she doesn't fit within the gender binary, and was not satisfied with the option of receiving regular vaginoplasty surgery. She took it to court and fought for her right to receive penile preserving vaginoplasty, which involves the creation of a neovagina in the perineum, the part of the body located between the anus and the scrotum. 

After two years of fighting for coverage from the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP), the Health Services and Review Board (HSARB) ruled against an appeal from OHIP who claimed the procedure was too experimental, and ordered OHIP to pay the legal costs of her court battle.

"Such an interpretation would force transgender, non-binary people like K.S. to choose between having a surgery (penectomy) they do not want and which does not align with their gender expression to get state funding, on the one hand, and not having gender-affirming surgery at all, on the other. Such a choice would reinforce their disadvantaged position and would not promote their dignity and autonomy," Justice Breese Davies wrote in the decision, commenting on OHIP's "inconsistent" interpretation of the schedule of benefits.

Further, the court decided that HSARB's conclusion that the term vaginoplasty includes this procedure is consistent with the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) Standards of Care, the leading authority on gender-affirming medical and surgical care

"We hope that OHIP decides to accept the decision of the Court rather than seeking leave to appeal so that K.S. can move forward with her surgery she has been trying to get for years now." K.S. and McIntyre said they hope the decision encourages Canadian clinics to start offering such procedures

"With the vast push rightward stemming from the recent strong anti-equality ideology, it's been a second dark ages for us in the 2SLGBTQIA+ community of late, so this very appropriate and correct verdict is a breath of fresh air," K.S. said.

Wait, I have never heard of this surgery before. The result is having a ****** and a *****. Some people really can have it all. :jonny: 

I don't want my tax dollars going to this

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, VOSS said:

I don't want my tax dollars going to this

this is in Canada

your location says Seattle, WA

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952vwo96cws0irsdwv8b6d

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

And ladies and gays, this is how a new type of bottoms was born 

So this person was born a man, identifies as a non-binary she/her (:rip:) and wants a pengina. And somehow this is not just a cosmetic procedure?

And let's not get into the whole "my gender is not what's inbetween my legs" rhetoric which goes completely out of the window with this one.

Edited by dumbsparce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

31 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

penile preserving vaginoplasty, which involves the creation of a neovagina in the perineum, the part of the body located between the anus and the scrotum.

spacer.png

So this person will still have a peepee and scrotum, and also a vaghole? But what's the point of the vaghole? I don't think I understand its purpose…

Edited by SoldierofLove

5 minutes ago, SoldierofLove said:

spacer.png

So this person will still have a ***** and scrotum, and also a ***? But what's the point of the *** hole? I don't think I understand its purpose…

You think people with vaginoplasty just get the ******* sewed shut? 

This person will be like the ultimate vers.

• Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

identifies as a non-binary she/her (:rip:)

What's so funny about that? 

5 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

So this person was born a man

People are born as babies, actually.

And let's not get into the whole "my gender is not what's inbetween my legs" rhetoric which goes completely out of the window with this one.

Well, it isn't; trans people are still trans before getting surgery (if they do get it at all). 

• Like 1

So this person was born a man, identifies as a non-binary she/her (:rip:) and wants a pengina. And somehow this is not just a cosmetic procedure?

Pengina :rip:

How would this person describe this to their sexual partner? I have so many questions. Are they like, "So… I have a second hole…” or the partner is like "Why do you have a second hole?”

I must not be understanding what I read because this is all kinds of confusing. 

2 minutes ago, ninasayers said:

What's so funny about that? 

People are born as babies, actually.

Well, it isn't; trans people are still trans before getting surgery (if they do get it at all). 

1. If you claim to not fit the binary then how do you go ahead and identify with.. a binary term? Let's preserve some logic please.

2. Hahahahaahahahah

3. This is the first case of its kind (afaik) and is clearly not as black and white as it is the case with most trans people.

• Thumbs Down 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, SoldierofLove said:

How would this person describe this to their sexual partner? I have so many questions. Are they like, "So… I have a second hole…” or the partner is like "Why do you have a second hole?”

I must not be understanding what I read because this is all kinds of confusing. 

I think some people identify as neither, and get eunuch surgery, and some people identify as both, and get penile preserving vaginoplasty, but I could be wrong. Whatever they identify as, it's valid!

Edited by Ash12345

2 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

1. If you claim to not fit the binary then how do you go ahead and identify with.. a binary term? Let's preserve some logic please.

2. Hahahahaahahahah

3. This is the first case of its kind (afaik) and is clearly not as black and white as it is the case with most trans people.

Maybe she identify as non-binary physically, and female verbally?

14 minutes ago, SoldierofLove said:

I loved her on UK vs the World

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

Maybe she identify as non-binary physically, and female verbally?

Again, non-binary means something outside of male or female.. like this is literally why the "non" part is there. This person wants features of both stereotypical binary genders. So not only are they not non-binary, they're actually the exact opposite.. bibinary maybe? idk I'm not being hateful, it's just that my brain hurts from all the squeezing.

Edited by dumbsparce

Some of y'all can't discuss trans or nb people without saying something ztp

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

Pronouns ≠ gender. It's common for nb people to use either she/her and/or he/him. 

8 minutes ago, JO1s said:

Some of y'all can't discuss trans or nb people without saying something ztp

tbf even moderate scepticism is categorized as hate nowadays, this isn't a place for nuanced discussions

and not just on lgbt topics

Edited by playboi
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, ninasayers said:

Pronouns ≠ gender. It's common for nb people to use either she/her and/or he/him. 

Ok I get that. Which is why nonbinary as a term is more of a personality trait than it is a gender, to my understanding at least. For example, a "man" who goes by he/him and chooses to present as a "woman" is not any less of a man. Like, just bc I'm a man don't expect me to only do the manly things kind of a situation. So yeah, he is nonbinary in terms of expression but that doesn't mean his gender is suddenly anything else other than a man. If we want to break down gender norms then changing someone's gender and/or pronouns bc they don't 100% fit the stereotype, only reinforces said gender norms. Ofc I'm not refering to trans people here.

John Maclean is a great example of what I'm trying to explain and he's done a lot of videos talking about it.

Edited by dumbsparce

9 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

So this person was born a man, identifies as a non-binary she/her (:rip:) and wants a pengina.

Some individuals are drawn to this unique approach. It can allow them to maintain certain aspects of their original anatomy. Those wanting sexual function post-surgery may find this option aligns with their goals. The reasons for choosing phallus-preserving vaginoplasty vary, encompassing factors like sexual function, fertility preservation, urinary function, and individual identity.

https://www.artsurgical.net/phallus-preserving-vaginoplasty

This has made me Google such in a way I never expected to, but I walk away from such info with:

1) The revelation that, despite it being obvious in hindsight, it requires someone typing such out to realize that there are already trans men who will undergo a phalloplasty but whom will leave their other genitals or anatomy intact, even for just how physically demanding such operations like the removal of the womb, ovaries, etc. are.

2) Anyone who is deeply interested in this will have already been someone sure of their gender dysphoria and their decision to transition. Even in when finding a reddit AMA for it, seemingly from the only person on the internet who has posted about having one, they write about risks with technology still imperfect, like how leaving penile skin and muscles intact can lead to complications with suture being ripped out and affect the labia that is created.

I respect that this is a lot of new information that radically challenges what so many cishet people understand as 'just what is nature', but also worry of how gawking at such medical revelations can feel like religious reactionaryism. At what point does shock and horror and skepticism veer into essentially going "this is an affront to God!!!"?

The amount of such surgeries that occur are likely in the single digits globally each year. You're not meant to hear about this because it's that insignificant of a number of people who even want such that anyone hyper-focusing on it are themselves hoping to inspire resentment to trans people at large. OP's history of sharing articles from right-wing Canadian sources and past troubling posts about trans people makes me think they have those very same kind of motives. :suburban:

• Like 4

i don't recommend googling pictures :deadbanana4:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Communion said:

https://www.artsurgical.net/phallus-preserving-vaginoplasty

This has made me Google such in a way I never expected to, but I walk away from such info with:

1) The revelation that, despite it being obvious in hindsight, it requires someone typing such out to realize that there are already trans men who will undergo a phalloplasty but whom will leave their other genitals or anatomy intact, even for just how physically demanding such operations like the removal of the womb, ovaries, etc. are.

2) Anyone who is deeply interested in this will have already been someone sure of their gender dysphoria and their decision to transition. Even in when finding a reddit AMA for it, seemingly from the only person on the internet who has posted about having one, they write about risks with technology still imperfect, like how leaving penile skin and muscles intact can lead to complications with suture being ripped out and affect the labia that is created.

I respect that this is a lot of new information that radically challenges what so many cishet people understand as 'just what is nature', but also worry of how gawking at such medical revelations can feel like religious reactionaryism. At what point does shock and horror and skepticism veer into essentially going "this is an affront to God!!!"?

The amount of such surgeries that occur are likely in the single digits globally each year. You're not meant to hear about this because it's that insignificant of a number of people who even want such that anyone hyper-focusing on it are themselves hoping to inspire resentment to trans people at large. OP's history of sharing articles from right-wing Canadian sources and past troubling posts about trans people makes me think they have those very same kind of motives. :suburban:

I'm actually shocked you didn't lash me lol It's not about "God", I couldn't care less about what He (:rip:) has to say. It's a natural human reaction regardless of religion. Even those who are all "yes mama go get that vagnis" are pretending to not have scratched their heads and I'm not meant to believe otherwise.

Maybe it was a good thing when we all knew less about each other.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SmittenCake said:

this is in Canada

your location says Seattle, WA

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952vwo96cws0irsdwv8b6d

1 hour ago, Communion said:

what-confused.gif

qdN0GmQ.png
And yet I'm in BC

what-confused.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.