Protestors chant “Death to Israel”, “Death to America” at rally in Michigan

VOSS

Video that captured chants of "death to America" and "death to Israel" by some attendees of a Dearborn rally on Friday went viral over the weekend, underscoring tensions over U.S. support for Israel's six-month-long assault against Hamas in Gaza.

The rally was held on the International Day of Al-Quds, an annual pro-Palestinian event held on the last Friday of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan to express support for Palestinians in their decades-old land dispute with Jews. People gathered in front of the Henry Ford Centennial Library on Michigan Avenue in Dearborn holding Palestinian flags and yellow signs that read "Money for jobs and education not for Israel's occupation." They chanted in unison, "Free, Free Palestine" and "End the occupation now."

The event was organized by Tarek Bazzi, a local activist, who spoke out against what he called Israel's "satanic actions" and "the United States government providing funds that allow the atrocities." He quoted the Black Panther movement and Malcolm X talking about oppressive U.S. actions in other countries and, during Bazzi's brief pause, a man from the crowd shouted three times in Arabic, "Death to America." Several in the crowd can be heard echoing his chant in response each time.

The Washington, D.C.-based Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) on Sunday circulated on X (formerly Twitter) transcribed video clips of Bazzi's speech from a video by Dearborn.org. One clip was viewed 2.6 million times by late Monday, the platform reported. The video came just two months after MEMRI executive director Steven Stalinsky declared Dearborn "America's Jihad Capital" in an op-ed for the Wall Street Journal, a column that drew condemnation, locally and from President Joe Biden.

In his speech, Bazzi decried continued U.S. support for Israel and called for condemnation of America's role. "Any system that would allow such devilries to happen and would support it does not deserve to exist on God's Earth," he said of the U.S. "So when these fools ask if Israel has a right to exist, the chant 'Death to Israel' has become the most logical chant shouted across the world today."

At that time, a man in the crowd yelled "Death to Israel" in Arabic, and several in the crowd echoed his words, as well.

"This is no longer an extreme position, this is no longer a fringe position, this is the position of every single human being on earth that has a mind, a heart and a soul and has a political insight and awareness," Bazzi said.

Dearborn Mayor Abdullah Hammoud denounced the chants Monday as unacceptable, saying: "The hateful rhetoric heard on Friday does not reflect the opinion of the members of this community."

"We reject all inflammatory and violent statements made at the gathering," Hammoud wrote on X, formerly Twitter. "The Dearborn community stands for peace and justice for all people. We are proud to call this city and this country home."

The head of one Jewish community organization who saw the video said he doesn't believe it reflects the majority opinion of those in attendance. Still, it was "frightening," said Sam Dubin, interim executive director of the Jewish Community Relations Council/AJC in Bloomfield Hills.

"For those people at the rally, who were chanting 'Death to Israel' and 'Death to America', and linking the two in such a vile and frightening way, it was scary,” Dubin said. "We're sympathetic to the loss of innocent Palestinian life. And we understand that they're victims of Hamas. And Israel is responding to the war that Hamas is waging.  So it's complex, but what's not complex is calling for the death to Israel and death to the United States.”

Source

Edited by VOSS
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Good. Both Israel and the USA need to vanish from the world. They are literally the biggest terrorist states in the world. Enough is enough.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 11
  • Thumbs Down 9

I don't see what's the problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Down 4

You expect me to feel sorry for that *****?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well yes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

I wouldn't go that far but it's true that these two countries deserve some SUFFERING, period 

yoncegif300contrast.thumb.gif.ec5fe8884d56ed88906a3bd5c508e611.gif

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 2

Can't believe it's normalized to say Death to a country that gives them a job, a future and a roof. If they don't like it, they can pack their bag and buy one way ticket to some other developed countries like Qatar or UEA.

I hope they can find their peace and move on.  Imagine chanting something hateful during Ramadhan. I can't relate.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 19

5 minutes ago, Nintendoes said:

Can't believe it's normalized to say Death to a country that gives them a job, a future and a roof. If they don't like it, they can pack their bag and buy one way ticket to some other developed countries like Qatar or UEA.

I hope they can find their peace and move on.  Imagine chanting something hateful during Ramadhan. I can't relate.

Can't believe it's normal for America to destabilize their countries that they didn't want to leave in the first place. Cant relate. 

• Like 15
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

Ah, not feeling so anti-genocide anymore, are they?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 12

8 minutes ago, TheHanyo said:

Ah, not feeling so anti-genocide anymore, are they?

Imagine telling people who are seeing their families and loved ones being torn to shreds by American bombs broadcasted for the entire world to see like some black mirror episode that they're the problem for being mad in a politically incorrect way. 

I guess Jews (who weren't directly living under Nazi rule) who hated Germany and all Germans were the real problem, too. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

yes, and?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I mean, I think it's more problematic to be supporting the terrorist nation that is Israel.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, Nintendoes said:

you sound insane

• Like 2

Completely understandable to be enraged with America's support of Israel. "Death to America" is kind of alarming though and shouldn't be normalized or overlooked. No amount of gaslighting or downvotes on this site will change that. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, Jjang said:

Imagine telling people who are seeing their families and loved ones being torn to shreds by American bombs broadcasted for the entire world to see like some black mirror episode that they're the problem for being mad in a politically incorrect way. 

I guess Jews (who weren't directly living under Nazi rule) who hated Germany and all Germans were the real problem, too. 

Imagine thinking that genocide is the appropriate response to genocide. You sound insane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 7

The reactions here are exactly why the GP isn't switching up. You can't demand someone care about your cause and then turn around and say something offensive to said population :rip: 

• Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Down 7

11 minutes ago, TheHanyo said:

Imagine thinking that genocide is the appropriate response to genocide. You sound insane.

So you agree that Israel is committing an active act of genocide against Palestinians?

It is very amusing you think people are taking your pearl-clutching seriously at all when this is your posting history:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, TheHanyo said:

let's get rid of the real life genocide being perpetuated by people in power first and then we'll take care of the mythical genocide being chanted by the people being genocided with absolutely no power. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Headlock said:

So you agree that Israel is committing an active act of genocide against Palestinians?

It is very amusing you think people are taking your pearl-clutching seriously at all when this is your posting history:

It's always these deranged depraved fanatics coming for our moral ground. lol. 

4 minutes ago, Gaia said:

The reactions here are exactly why the GP isn't switching up. You can't demand someone care about your cause and then turn around and say something offensive to said population :rip: 

who said the public isn't switching? You mean you not switching. lmao. Say it clearly. 

• Haha 5

• Haha 2

And?

• Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.