Dua Lipa - "Illusion"

kyliefever2002

act like this was a promo single and release something new right after the album queen 

• Replies
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mike_int

• SayIt

• Cain

• Relampago.

Dua needed to be doing promo now not the day after her album release. :gaycat7:

(I'm hopeful she has things lined up but who knows with her.)

3 hours ago, katara said:

It can pull a Houdini and chart in the top 40 for some weeks due to airplay but that's it. The streams already collapsed there. 

OK but her album comes out in 2 weeks and she is queen of TTH & longevity so if anyone can turn it around— it's her.

1 hour ago, Relampago. said:

I would rather the FN leftover flop into oblivion than watch it cannibalize Houdini's moment like it did 

Houdini deserved to underperform all on her own

:suburban: 

She should have just waited until January to release Houdini and Training Season came out too soon, too, or should've just been a no radio promo single.

This thread is so depressing, illusion is a bop and that's all we should care about 

• Like 14

11 minutes ago, collin said:

She should have just waited until January to release Houdini and Training Season came out too soon, too, or should've just been a no radio promo single.

I agree, honestly I think they hit the panic button too soon on this era. I have a feeling they wanted the album out in March-ish or even February around when TS came out but then everyone started releasing in Q1/early Q2 and Houdini wasn't doing the numbers they had hoped for. 

I think it would have been better to just ride it out, let Houdini have the longevity it had, release TS as a promo single, then have the album come out shortly after. From there they could try and reorganize the era, but this "throw every song we can till it sticks" approach kind of felt a little messy for no reason. 

Overall though, I think the era is still doing fine, just some lessons to be learned for next time is all!

Edited by Relampago.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tost1 said:

This thread is so depressing, illusion is a bop and that's all we should care about 

And that's really the tea, we should be panicking if the music wasn't hitting but she's still releasing some of her best tracks in her discography. If it doesn't stick with the GP, then it is what it is, but she's keeping her core fanbase and pop stans are still checking for her. 

All in all, we won! Let's celebrate that.

Agree that this song is a career highlight, so is Houdini. Let's celebrate that!

• Like 1

Global Spotify: 4/20 - Saturday 

Artist: Dua Lipa 

Illusion +2,185,473 streams :duca:

Training Season +2,099,385 streams :duca:

Houdini +2,081,705 streams :duca:

Album is almost here and all singles are stable :jonny: this is just the beginning 

Who needs high peaks when you have longevity 

Longevity (WW) >>>> Peaks (US) :celestial4:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, halcyonday said:

Celebrating a #43 debut is... :deadbanana2:

eQFXBur.thumb.gif.f046dec3a8bb9fc7b93acc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, halcyonday said:

eQFXBur.thumb.gif.f046dec3a8bb9fc7b93acc

This is such an uneventful era and truly underwhelming so far. I REALLY need her to make sure the next album comes soon. Like end of 2025 or early 2026 at the latest. This is not an era that can sustain a long campaign. Clearly. Wrap up the tour and move on and make sure the next record connects again. Then the fans and public will look back on this project more fondly in retrospect. But if she takes another 3+ years before releasing another album after this one then I fear her traction in general will fizzle and that would be a shame. She's such a talent and deserves to maintain her current status for years to come. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, SayIt said:

Global Spotify: 4/20 - Saturday 

Artist: Dua Lipa 

Illusion +2,185,473 streams :duca:

Training Season +2,099,385 streams :duca:

Houdini +2,081,705 streams :duca:

Album is almost here and all singles are stable :jonny: this is just the beginning 

Who needs high peaks when you have longevity 

Longevity (WW) >>>> Peaks (US) :celestial4:

NOT Houdini coming to outstream both the others while being the oldest and TTH-less :hoetenks:

18 hours ago, halcyonday said:

Worry about your own fave sis her last single peaked at #90 :shutup:

spacer.png

ot: This is doing fine idg the negativity in this thread, yall are so corny :rip:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, IBeMe said:

This is such an uneventful era and truly underwhelming so far. I REALLY need her to make sure the next album comes soon. Like end of 2025 or early 2026 at the latest. This is not an era that can sustain a long campaign. Clearly. Wrap up the tour and move on and make sure the next record connects again. Then the fans and public will look back on this project more fondly in retrospect. But if she takes another 3+ years before releasing another album after this one then I fear her traction in general will fizzle and that would be a shame. She's such a talent and deserves to maintain her current status for years to come. 

Honestly I don't understand why she takes such long breaks. She records a lot of songs and it's not like most of them aren't great and not worth releasing. I'm still angry at her for fumbling The Moonlight Edition so bad, it could have been another full album… and the songs they chose for that re-edition weren't the best of the bunch anyway… The way she debuted 10 years ago and we are only getting her third album now doesn't feel right. 

1 hour ago, Supervillain said:

Honestly I don't understand why she takes such long breaks. She records a lot of songs and it's not like most of them aren't great and not worth releasing. I'm still angry at her for fumbling The Moonlight Edition so bad, it could have been another full album… and the songs they chose for that re-edition weren't the best of the bunch anyway… The way she debuted 10 years ago and we are only getting her third album now doesn't feel right. 

If she released new album instead of Moonlight Edition trolls would again complain it is too soon, shes riding on a success of FN, its all just B-side of FN and other nonsense.

It would be similar scenario like Weeknd's Dawn FM.

I personally expected 3rd album in fall 2023 and first single spring 2023 but I think "Dance the night" change it.

I think we will get re-release of RO before Xmas or Q1 of 2025, World Tour full 2025 and 4th album second half of 2026

She writes herself into ideas. DL3 would have looked very differently if she used the songs she wrote in 2021 for a 2022 album. I agree though, DL4 should come in 2026.

I disagree. From all the leaks we have heard she was right in saying she picked the best songs (+ GIB and BWBB) for FN. There isn't enough good material to release a full quality album.

She been saying the same for RO too.

What she should start doing is shop around for some good songs like Rihanna/Beyonce do. That would speed up the process a lot and would introduce her to new ideas and concepts. Someone said that most of her songs are about breaking up with a guy and then going dancing and they kinda didn't lie...

2 hours ago, Supervillain said:

To be fair the pandemic did blow a huge hole in timings and before that DL1 was subject (we suspect) to lots of label wrangling.

2015-17 was a constant "when's the album coming/ is there going to be one even?"  vibe. I suspect the label were scrambling for the sweet spot of capitalising on some traction vs not delaying stuff so long all momentum went. At one point in early 2017 ( I think) she had 3 UK top twenty tracks and they still didn't release till about June, and they did it by launching with Lost in Your Light as a (promo?) single (wtf!!!), before post album release (and fabulous Glastonbury set, where she drew an unexpectedly huge crowd) hitting on New Rules and the rest is history.

Clearly 2020, was going to be tour, then extended edition early 21, and one assumes DL3 late 2022 ish.  Now our old friend Covid put paid to all of that; tour didn't happen for two years, and was probably bigger and longer than anyone envisioned in 2020, as FN went into the stratosphere.  

So, longwinded way to say she's had an odd timing trajectory given she's been on the scene for 9 years, but it's kind of understandable in the circumstances. Indeed DL 3 should've been delayed till the Grammys in Feb 24 in my view so we'd only be two months into Houdini now.

As for the future, well who knows, late 25/early 26 would seem reasonable, but she's mentioned taking longer breaks in the future, and who knows what other demands will be on her (eg is Pedro Almodavar interested?)?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Vermouth said:

At one point in early 2017 ( I think) she had 3 UK top twenty tracks and they still didn't release till about June, and they did it by launching with Lost in Your Light as a (promo?) single (wtf!!!), before post album release (and fabulous Glastonbury set, where she drew an unexpectedly huge crowd) hitting on New Rules and the rest is history.

Yeah that was so strange they didn't release DL1 after BTO/NL/STBL were hits back to back... and she was with TAP back then so yeah...

Didn't she also say that New Rules almost didn't make it in the album? Imagine how EVERYTHING would be different now if it hadn't :rip:

7 minutes ago, katara said:

Yeah that was so strange they didn't release DL1 after BTO/NL/STBL were hits back to back... and she was with TAP back then so yeah...

Didn't she also say that New Rules almost didn't make it in the album? Imagine how EVERYTHING would be different now if it hadn't :rip:

Yes, think so, and yes at the time it was odd they didn't release in early 17.

However, I think NR was a late addition to DL1 and had she released in say Feb 17, it might not have been on there, and as she's said that song changed her life (which it clearly did), so right result, but lucky methodology.

Edited by Vermouth

7 hours ago, IBeMe said:

Screaming at you talking about ending an era before the album has even been released :dies:  Some of you have been on ATRL for over a decade, it's time to grow up and enjoy music for music, not for its streaming numbers or chart peaks :doc: 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Vermouth said:

Yes, think so, and yes at the time it was odd they didn't release in early 17.

However, I think NR was a late addition to DL1 and had she released in say Feb 17, it might not have been on there, and as she's said that song changed her life (which it clearly did), so right result, but lucky methodology.

Yeah an important lesson how luck and timing are so important for success (not just for her but in general). 

12 minutes ago, katara said:

Yeah an important lesson how luck and timing are so important for success (not just for her but in general). 

Yes, NR was serendipity itself. The late bolt on that so far has combined YT and Spotify of 5 billion and broke America for her.

Napoleon used to allegedly have a dictum about appointing new generals "never mind if he's any good, is he lucky?".

DL3 isn't a lucky general sadly. 

I mean I think Houdini would've been U.K. no 1 eight weeks out of the previous nine ( someone correct me if I'm wrong) given its numbers, I believe, but up pops J Harlow (oh the irony, given he had the hots for her - mind you can you blame him!) fellow label mate, to forestall her.  Then T Swift announces a Swiftquake out of nowhere at the Grammys, and just about other every pop girl in existence has or is releasing within weeks.

Edited by Vermouth

14 minutes ago, Vermouth said:

Yes, NR was serendipity itself. The late bolt on that so far has combined YT and Spotify of 5 billion and broke America for her.

Napoleon used to allegedly have a dictum about appointing new generals "never mind if he's any good, is he lucky?".

DL3 isn't a lucky general sadly. 

I mean I think Houdini would've been U.K. no 1 eight weeks out of the previous nine ( someone correct me if I'm wrong) given its numbers, I believe, but up pops J Harlow (oh the irony, given he had the hots for her - mind you can you blame him!) fellow label mate, to forestall her.  Then T Swift announces a Swiftquake out of nowhere at the Grammys, and just about other every pop girl in existence has or is releasing within weeks.

Nah Houdini would have only been #1 on release week.

-------------------------------

The saying goes that luck is when preperation meets opportunity and I think due to the quality and catchiness of RO the preparation is there we just need the opportunity

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.