Intermittent Fasting Linked to Heart Disease Death

Armani?

1 hour ago, Harrier said:

Not after me doing this for like 18 months :rip: Ive lost a lot of weight tho so surely the benefits of that outweigh thr negative...

Same I've lost over 3 stone doing fasting…

I stopped doing it a few weeks ago as I felt like I'd reached my goal weight. I don't think it's 100% sustainable in the long run unless you do something more manageable like 16:8

Edited by Peroxide

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Armani?

• Leptine

• perfect blue

• Saddy

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, stjosephprey4us said:

I don't understand what this means. I don't eat breakfast and will eat my first meal at like 2-4 PM and then maybe eat a late dinner. Sometimes with snacks in between. Is this what they're talking about? :toofunny3:

Not exactly. Intermittent fasting is more intentional than that, and as a general practice can include restricting your meals to portions of the day ranging from 12 hours (so, you intentionally only eat between noon and midnight for example) to a single meal a day, or even only eating every other day. There are other variations. This study in particular focused on having people only eat within an 8 hour interval, followed by 16 hours of fasting - that happens to be one of the most popular forms of intermittent fasting. It's possible to kind of accidentally eat in this pattern, but usually intermittent fasting is an intentional practice that comes with other things like being mindful of calories and sugar intake. This study is a big deal because intermittent fasting has become an extremely popular strategy to aid with weight loss in recent years, and I think this is one of the first real scientific findings that there could be significant health risks associated with the practice.

Meh my corpse will look hot :gaycat1:

• Haha 1

This is not a peer reviewed study. It was just a poster presentation at one of the conferences and the media just ran with it for shock value. 

In fact, there are peer reviewed research studies which you can refer on this topic and it's perfectly safe.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It's fine and there are more studies vouching for it than against it. It isn't for everyone and you obviously have to do it within reason too lol

Well I have an eating disorder so I'm always doing **** like this and I wish I wasn't like this but it's very hard not to limit food in this way. But maybe I'll stop this **** once and for all! :ryan3:

Also correlation is not causation and like others are saying, I see more studies indicating it's long-term benefits, including combatting the build up of beta amyloid plaque in the brain which can cause Alzheimer's disease and it also has outstanding biological benefits. Think about it- species that can survive longer without food and have that tolerance built up will live longer. I think intention matters though and the reasons I do this are not healthy. 

Edited by CottageHore

The data used was self-reported and they admit that they did not explore the relationships between characteristics shared amongst the groups that could potentially account for the increased risk of death. I don't think you can really conclude anything about intermittent fasting from this (though to their credit, I don't think they're saying that with these results).

• Like 5

I've tried to do it several times but I never stick to it for very long. I have no self control and don't know how to tell myself "no." 

I've tried IF and felt tired and weak all the time. It's not for me. I follow my body and eat when my body needs it.

Edited by Anthinos

Fasting has always proved to have health benefits, it's how is done that makes the difference.

If people eat junk food during the 8 hours window of course they're gonna still be at risk, it all depends from what you eat, the quality of food and nutrients, not to mention tones of other factors in the health of every single individual.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Armani? said:

The increased risk of cardiovascular death was also seen in people living with heart disease or cancer.

so tired of click bait health articles like these, the studies always have a small sample and always sensationalize the headline to have ppl freak out…which then prompts someone like @Armani?  to make a thread about it of course 

6 minutes ago, Breathe On Moi said:

so tired of click bait health articles like these, the studies always have a small sample and always sensationalize the headline to have ppl freak out…which then prompts someone like @Armani?  to make a thread about it of course 

I don't think their results are causal or hinting at a casual relationship to intermittent fasting though lol

What made this study different however is that it was a longterm study when actual randomized controlled short term intermittent fasting studies show improvements mostly likely from initial weight loss.

So there appears to be some nuance

I tried IF with Keto for about a year and it really works. I've gone from like 78kg to 62kg, but the downside is too much ketones is bad for the kidneys. My creatinine levels spiked after eating too much meat and almost no carbs. Now, I just eat normally but intuitively, my weight rose to 66kg (still on normal BMI) but my kidneys at least won't have to suffer.

1 hour ago, stjosephprey4us said:

I don't understand what this means. I don't eat breakfast and will eat my first meal at like 2-4 PM and then maybe eat a late dinner. Sometimes with snacks in between. Is this what they're talking about? :toofunny3:

That's what I wonder because sometimes I don't eat breakfast but I'll eat lunch dinner and late night snack. 

lol I'm fasting for Ramadan and I highly doubt that this study accounts for us because 1) when breaking our fast we are discouraged from indulging. We eat dates and drink water. The dates give us sugar and fiber and the water is for hydration. We pray and then we eat a full meal. For breakfast we eat filling foods that will be high in fiber and protein. To fast during Ramadan and to indulge in fatty, greasy foods is redundant. To spend time drinking soda over water is also counterproductive. I would say I eat healthier during Ramadan.

2) this article states that this increase was mainly found in people with cardiovascular disease and cancer. In Islam, you cannot fast if you're sick. If you have CD or cancer, most likely you will be on prescription meds that require you to take them at a certain time and with food. I also cannot imagine doing chemo without food and water. Alternatively, you feed the less fortunate everyday that you cannot fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Harrier said:

Not after me doing this for like 18 months :rip: Ive lost a lot of weight tho so surely the benefits of that outweigh thr negative...

Its probably fine for weight loss and short term but not long term.

I love how they're acting like it's some big shock that cancer mortality went up when this population engaged with intermittent fasting

:ryan3:

not me doing this for 2 years now with one big meal a day

:suburban:

7 hours ago, Solaria said:

Intermittent fasting is stupid. Y'all can push the 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day is a scam made up by the food industry' narrative all you want but its the truth. Your body needs nutrition in the morning to have a good start of the day. 

7 hours ago, Jotham said:

Putting your body on survival mode has negative long-term effects on your health? What a shocker. :eek:

7 hours ago, Domination said:

Tbh diet science is almost all fake. Eat intuitively/mindfully and try to limit excessive amount of sugar. It's really that simple.

leave it to atrl to give you health and science lessons :skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull:

intermittent fasting is not some fad diet or putting your body in survival mode. it's how our bodies were designed to function best. when food used to be scarce back in the day you think people were eating 3 meals and 3 snacks a day? this is a recent development in society and backed up by the food industry trying to sell you more and more. this "study" is a bunch of bs with no basis in reality, we've been shown many times through legit studies of the health benefits of having some sort of restriction around the times you eat. unless you have some health condition and obviously with doctor's guidance and doing tests, your body will perform better with this kind of eating pattern. digestion and blood sugar will be improved which are not just important for your physical health but to your mental health as well through the gut-brain connection, potentially reducing any mental health struggles.

• Thanks 4

This is something I've done unintentionally, due to circumstance. Mainly whenever I work, I won't have an actual meal until sometime in the afternoon around 4 p.m., or so. I do tend to have a very healthy diet beyond that, however; whenever I do eat, I get the necessary amount of vitamins and minerals. And I do take a lot of supplements. There are several things I need to get under control, for as health-conscious as I am.

Never understood fasting. My dietitian put me on a 1800kcal deficit eating 6 times a day to lower my body fat % while maintaining or gaining muscle. Went from 18% to 12% so now I can start with bulking then cutting again. 

The best part is that I don't starve and can eat a whole pizza by myself :celestial4: 

21 hours ago, Saddy said:

I suppose I'll die soon then :alexz2: I don't do this fasting thing but I don't really eat good, like I eat 1-2 times in a day (or only 1 time but a lot and usually it breakfast)

same twinsies 

been doin this for 5+ years now and I've never felt better, more energetic and sane in mind.

i also exercise everyday and the sport is weirdly so much easier than If I ate 4-5 times during the day which would bloat me and wear me down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eóghan said:

i also exercise everyday and the sport is weirdly so much easier than If I ate 4-5 times during the day which would bloat me and wear me down.

This!! Like if I eat more than 2 times during the day I feel like I'm gonna explode :deadbanana4: 

barbiegrande

Idk, I only eat between a 8-10 hour window and I feel much better when I do tbh. 

Im sorry, but people who eat 3 meals a day are insane 

Edited by barbiegrande
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, barbiegrande said:

Idk, I only eat between a 8-10 hour window and I feel much better when I do tbh. 

Im sorry, but people who eat 3 meals a day are insane 

bloated queen 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.