Marina - what went wrong?

Kern

Electra Heart was so iconic. Then suddenly her releases became so non eventful and now it's silence from her. What happened, will she ever come back? 

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Skestina

• The7thStranger

• Kern

• Onyxmage

Many things honey. Idk where to start haha.

And I've ben following her since 2010.

Edited by Disconnect
  • Haha 6

yes non eventful like billie's at least our faves have something in common :clap3:

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

4 minutes ago, Disconnect said:

Many things honey. Idk where to start haha.

And I've ben following her since 2010.

JK nothing really went "wrong". She was just never meant to be a pop star and she ended up not following that route.

Besides that, she looks gorgeous right now and seems happier than ever so I wouldn't really even consider her a failure. She's just and alt/indie girl who made 1 pop album which wasn't successful enough to follow that path.

Edited by Disconnect
  • Like 2

Electra Heart was her worst album, and I'm so glad she grew up and moved on. I remember being so disappointed when it came out. FROOT really was a spectaular return to form.

FROOT

Love + Fear

The Family Jewels

Ancient Dreams

Electra Heart

In. That. Order.

• Like 5
  • Confused 5
  • Thumbs Down 16

Just now, The7thStranger said:

Electra Heart was her worst album, and I'm so glad she grew up and moved on. I remember being so disappointed when it came out. FROOT really was a spectaular return to form.

FROOT

Love + Fear

The Family Jewels

Ancient Dreams

Electra Heart

In. That. Order.

It really is her worst album but I don't dislike it, it has one of my favourite songs ever on that album s:wan:

She mostly lost her cool factor during Love + Fear and onwards, and when your audience is the Tumblr people of the world, that's kind of the cardinal sin. I've sadly fallen out of love with her, simply because her last 2 bodies of work didn't impress me much, but the TFJ - EH - Froot album run is something I'll always respect her for.

• Like 3

Her lyrics used to be vulnerable and relatable, and now they're just cringe ramblings about the environment and topics that fans don't care about. :gaycat6:

Also, she just releases the same ballads over and over. She doesn't explore anything new. They are all variations from the same Marina ballad template. 

Edited by vuelve88
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, SKESTU said:

It really is her worst album but I don't dislike it, it has one of my favourite songs ever on that album s:wan:

I don't entirely hate it either, but it's just... not Marina. It has its moments, but it's a slog to get through for me. The production is horrendous.

• Like 1

she got older and lost her edge. 

2 minutes ago, vuelve88 said:

Her lyrics used to be vulnerable and relatable, and now they're just cringe ramblings about the environment and topics that fans don't care about. :gaycat6:

This.

I hate that she started making white woman yoga music. Love + Fear also made me tune out completely; That album was awful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

I think she lost a lot of people with Love & Fear (although it does have some good songs like Soft to be Strong). Overall, it was very uninspired. Parts of Ancient Dreams are cringe but I do think that songs like Man's World, Venus Fly Trap & I Love You But I Love Me More are very TFJ/Froot inspired and are very true to Marina.

She was never going to be a massive pop star and she quickly realized that after Electra Heart and went her own way. I don't think she even has any desire for that anymore. She seems very happy and looks incredible on her Insta! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

FROOT

Love + Fear

The Family Jewels

Ancient Dreams

Electra Heart

In. That. Order.

L + F is way worse tbh. But even like that, both are still good albums. Better than a lot of new girllie's recent ones….

• Like 2

Yall just can't seem to move on from that depressing top 40 white male producer record she didn't even want to make in the first place, that's what went wrong. 

She smoothed out her edges a bit with L&F and went back with ADIAML, a very solid album with some of her most heartfelt ballads. She's working on a new album as an independent artist. She's doing just fine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Everything actually went RIGHT. She said even in 2010 that she only has a few albums in her lol. Pop music was a vehicle of self expression that served her for one point in time and now she's an instagram act.

• Like 1

Nothing. She's a legend, icon, star who released the immaculae FROOT. :gaycatina1:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could be something to do with the fact her last two albums were like listening to the insipid uninspired ramblings of a middle aged almond mom.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, vuelve88 said:

Also, she just releases the same ballads over and over. She doesn't explore anything new. They are all variations from the same Marina ballad template. 

This for sure.

I feel like the reason people hate Electra Heart is because of Dr. Puke's production and its very that-time electropop sound, but I love the lyrics of that album (Starring Role, Living Dead, Fear and Loathing, Hypocrates, etc.). I think Marina has a beautiful voice, but I think her pop songs are better when she has a co-writer to help hone the lyrics or help write a good hook (like the difference between the demo and final of Are You Satisfied).

My beef with FROOT is that she kept touting that she wrote all the lyrics herself, which is cool, but it shows imo because the chorus for several songs is just the title repeated over and over (Forget, Weeds, Better Than That). No shame in asking for some help, sis... Two heads are better than one! 

:bird:

Edited by Curaga
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Honestly she just lost her inspiration. Her first three albums are so, so good and then with L+F it was clear she didn't have anything left to say as an artist.

• Like 2

She had a mental breakdown after Froot and then apparently got in a better place mentally. Since most of her artistic value came from mental illness her work well... took a nose dive, not much else to it 

• Haha 1

everyone dropped her when she turned into a political karen with cringe lyrics.

she's not cool.

not interesting.

not successful.

there's nothing to stan and the music is horrific. probably the cringiest lyricist ever. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.