Did Beyoncé miss the point of Jolene?

DTF

11 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

And that means everyone has to like HER version?

How did you end up with this conclusion :deadbanana2:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kristie Kuwa

• Embustera

• Bey'Knight

• Rotunda

7 hours ago, Navyofbadgals said:

I've seen a good amount of tiktoks about it too

and I agree, easily one of the tracks that could've been scrapped cause both lyrically and sonically imo it's a weaker version and that is just not something I associate with Bey. It's just kinda cringy and it becomes even more cringy knowing it's about Jay Z of all people

This song has existed for decades. Not everything is about Bey's personal life. This altered cover should be taken for entertainment purposes only. 
This is almost as ridiculous as people who were mad at her for singing about working 9 to 5 :rip: 

• Haha 2

i thought it was better than the og version tbh

Edited by gorillaz
typo

The song was written at a time when women were expected to roll over and accept infidelity as part and parcel of marriage. That isn't the case anymore in 2024, the roles have evolved and it makes perfect sense to reimagine the song through a more feminist lens. 

28 minutes ago, nostalgic said:

The song was written at a time when women were expected to roll over and accept infidelity as part and parcel of marriage. That isn't the case anymore in 2024, the roles have evolved and it makes perfect sense to reimagine the song through a more feminist lens. 

This is the product of the song viewed through the feminist lens? "We've been deep in love for twenty years/I raised that man" when he's cheated at least once before and he's 10+ years older than she is and they got together when she was freshly 18? :rip: 

People stay in marriages for different reasons and I'm not here to pass judgement on her decisions but the optics of the woman who made feminism her brand a decade ago, then made an excellent album about her vulnerability and emotions after her husband cheated on her, then evidently forgave him and had two more kids with him, and then dragged the other woman years later is just kind of funny (maybe he cheated again more recently, but then girl just leave). Of course the lyrics could just be fiction 

I like her version, she sounds great! I just don't really think it's particularly feminist :ducky:

• Like 1

I didn't like her version

And…lowkey this 

• Like 3

I Love Beyoncés Version more.

It's possible to dislike what someone creates without diminishing their creativity. I personally was not looking forward to anothe Jolene cover, and now I kind of wish it were just a cover cause I don't like beyonces  take at all.  However just because it's not my cup of tea does not mean it's without merit. 

• Like 2

The song is suppose to be tounge and cheek. I dont get how people don't get that. 

She stripped the song of all its vulnerability, which is what made the original a classic. There's nothing harder than unabashedly admitting someone is better looking than you. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CécredSpaces said:

Source?

they've been saying this about Jay Z for years with no sources to cite 

I like her version. It's basically a spinoff but lyrics like "jolene, i know i'm a queen" , "jolene, i know why you're attracted to my man" are beyond corny considering the man in question is Sean Carter :bibliahh:

Edited by airplane
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Bey definitely did what needed to be done. I love her version just as much as Dolly's. 

Her modern take fits modern times.

What woman in 2024 is begging another woman not to take her man??? Be for real

People can care less if she covered Jolene, they just want to start something because it's Beyonce.

Let's  be real here.

Since it's Beyonce, they're going to try and pick at anything they can get.

I also see the usual have arrived.

Where were you guys in the charts thread though?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nostalgic said:

The original completely went over your head and you don't understand Dolly's version at all, sis. And Beyoncé's version isn't feminist at all - threatening a woman if she tries to seduce your man isn't feminism. :skull: 

This song isn't supposed to be a feminist anthem - it's Beyonce having fun. 

42 minutes ago, Eternium said:

The original completely went over your head and you don't understand Dolly's version at all, sis. And Beyoncé's version isn't feminist at all - threatening a woman if she tries to seduce your man isn't feminism. :skull: 

This song isn't supposed to be a feminist anthem - it's Beyonce having fun. 

Perhaps "feminist" is the wrong word but the point is her version modernizes the same scenario in a way that makes sense for her persona. I agree with you.

No cause she wasn't trying to deliver the same message. 

Whitney, however, completely missed the point in her version of IWALU

Has Dolly said anything about it being homoerotic cause that particular crowd staying makin **** up to fit their narrative. Aren't y'all tired of being so miserable? I really want to see every single person upset about the lyric change have their relationship tarnished by someone who knew you were a (monogamous) couple and see if y'all still try to victimize your personal Jolene. 

And to the people saying "nobody wants your man!" y'all aren't ready to hear about the subtle racist comments y'all make about his features. He's in his mid 50s and looks better than most men his age in hollywood. Y'all would be on your knees SUCKIN AND FUCKIN when he was in his 20s. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, BnPac said:

She didn't miss it. She just didn't want to do it like that. 

The lyrics are completely different, it's not a cover. Singing a song adoring the woman and the proceeding to kill her in the following track make zero sense. 

If they want Dolly's Jolene, it's available on all streaming platforms. There's also a beautiful cover done by Miley on YouTube. 

It is still a cover. 

She didn't miss the point. The lyrics are cringe but it's still a bop.

She needs to stop pretending anyone wants her man. Like it's not believable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.