Top Posters In This Topic

• Kristie Kuwa

• Embustera

• Bey'Knight

• Rotunda

If she wanted it to be a cover it would've been

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

The fact people are debating it and problematising it seems to be the literal point tbh - she's flipping the script on the song in the exact same way she's flipping the script on the genres she's reclaiming

Beyoncé knows what she's doing and also knows exactly how to get people talking, I'm just as against people talking down to her musically as I am of people trying to protect her from critique as if she isn't capable of processing it (or doesn't want it) - it's incredibly patronising

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Thumbs Down 1

18 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

They GET that Beyonce is doing a new version. DUH! They just think her version sucks and is a reductive take on the complex original.

ok well then they should just say that and eat their food 

no need to go on and on about unnecessary narratives :clack:

Eh I found what she did interesting. On balance I prefer the origional lyrics but then Beyonce's version is still good so I guess idk I just didn't care that much about the change. I don't think she missed the point she just did an alternative take on it. Does it work as well with the vibe of the song? Maybe not but it's still a great cover/rework. Like it's definitely not a skip. 

It's called spin for a reason :suburban:

Idc, the girlie Jolene is that bih however. :gaycatina1:

Edited by Heldenzeit

9 minutes ago, MatiRod said:

I agree with the OP Twitter takes. Beyoncé has done bravado before, but she's never really done vulnerability to the extent of the original Jolene song. I was looking forward to hearing her sing those words, but she turned it into ring the alarm part two.

Shes never really done vulnerable? Girl, Resentment is right there on Bday, her second album, released in 2006. Sandcastles is vulnerable. Heaven is vulnerable. Mine is vulnerable. Flaws & all is vulnerable. Blackbird is vulnerable. Disappear is vulnerable.

Like, what?

• Like 7

Beyoncé's version didn't miss the point of Jolene, it's Beyoncé's version and not Dolly's for a reason. There is not one way to show vulnerability, lashing out and defensiveness are just as emotional and raw as the begging in the original version. Pain takes different forms, people being resistant to changes is the actual issue not Beyoncé's version that was approved by Dolly herself. 

I also like how the @DJLouieXIV tweet is just straight up disingenuous hating painted as a genuine question. Following up by asking why she hasn't released the credits yet is just too obvious.

Why does people connecting with Beyoncé's music and craft is a problem to some? Her albums get received well because they are beautifully made and exquisitely delivered. She doesn't get met with unfetteredd adoration but proper admiration because she puts the right intention in her art. On the other hand her music does get met with a level of nitpicking and bitter criticsm that is uniquely aimed at her. You don't have to love the album, you don't even have to like Beyoncé, just be honest about it and lets stop running around in circles trying to find reasons to dislike it.

This constant need to reassure themselves about "Beyoncé not being that good" lol talk about insecurity.

:foxaylove2:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

She isn't missing the point, it's almost a completely different song. Just not as great as the original

• Like 2

This version of Jolene put me off the whole Cowboy Carter situation, truly awful. (And the Miley duet too, Beyonce is screaming and trying way too hard when Miley is a natural) 

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 5

1 hour ago, Lovett said:

I immediately stopped reading the tweet when I saw that. :lmao:

They lost me after saying it was a love song to the other woman. Meh, happy for the discourse. Cheers for their contribution I guess. 

2 hours ago, DTF said:

Why do you think her verse is not being well received by the hive?

Her version is received astronomically well hence it being the best performing song on the album.  You just went fishing for contrarian tweets to validate your dislike. Hope it sated your appetite. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DTF said:

Why do you think her verse is not being well received by the hive?

Her version is received astronomically well hence it being the best performing song on the album.  You just went fishing for contrarian tweets to validate your dislike. Hope it sated your appetite. 

As a black woman I totally understand Beyoncé's version. If another woman touch my man I'll beat her ass!

It's like with I Will Always Love You. Great cover but lost all its emotions on the way while Dolly gets you immediately. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I didn't know it was a cover :rip: 

at first i thought it could feat Lana seamlessly 

I think it's nice when an artist puts their own spin on a classic song, even if they change the meaning entirely, but the problem with Beyoncé's version is that it's just unbelievably corny. "I raised that man" Jay-Z is a decade older than her. I'd be embarrassed :doc:

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, flower moon said:

not irregardless :suburban:

These Mean Girls stans can't even check their words

Lyrics of the song are so cringe but It's just a cover wıth her version. People need to chill. 

it wouldn't have made sense in the album's context but I understand their pov. 

It's a bit unfair to say Bey's re-imagined version "doesn't get it" however. It's literally re-imagined for a reason. 

Edited by Jjang

2 hours ago, Bey'Knight said:

Cheers for their contribution I guess. 

I didn't tweet that

Of course she understands the meaning of the original, or she wouldn't have changed the words. I don't think Bey is the one missing the point here. :deadbanana:

It's perfectly reasonable and valid to not like it and to prefer the original. You don't need to make out that Bey didn't know what she was doing to try and justify that opinion.

• Like 1

No, she did a fin little twist on the story that gets people talking. She knows what shes doing, its not that serious

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.