Is Jennifer Lopez' huge impact underrated on ATRL?

BrandNewBrandon

It's nuanced. I don't think anyone would deny her as a huge pop culture icon. The problem is that her accomplishments are more aligned with her looks then her talent. That probably has a lot to do with how extremely inconsistent she is. She's had sprinkles of greatness throughout her career (Selena, OTF comeback, Hustlers, Superbowl) but for every good Jlo project comes 5 bad ones that ends up overshadowing it. 

Musically, she has no good albums, she doesn't have a unique sound, and she shamelessly jumps on trends so its hard to take her seriously in that realm

Nonetheless she's very rich, talented and successful. Not every one is gonnna be acclaimed/respected and thats okay. 

• Like 3

Most of JLOs albums are too mid tempo for the kind of performer she is and what people expect from her and is probably one of the reasons she's never really been a strong album artist. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keeandga said:

Most of JLOs albums are too mid tempo for the kind of performer she is and what people expect from her and is probably one of the reasons she's never really been a strong album artist. 

Also, she's clearly inspired by 70s soul but just doesn't have the voice for it so it doesn't work.

It is, Atrl is just being miserable as always.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

Also, she's clearly inspired by 70s soul but just doesn't have the voice for it so it doesn't work.

Like her debut for example i would say it's mostly 70/80% mid-tempos or ballads, which is baffling. 
Her strong suit is dancing/performing how can she's do either to those songs. 

Also maybe that's why people didn't like the motown tribute, because it's not playing to her strengths and her image. 

huge impact?

• Haha 2

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952c1i505euib7ggnqlk

No one's fav was dominant in 3 industries such as music, film and dance the way JLo was

I'd be jealous too if my fav was only successful in 1 industry instead of the 3 JLo has under her belt 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, naval23 said:

No one's fav was dominant in 3 industries such as music, film and dance the way JLo was

I'd be jealous too if my fav was only successful in 1 industry instead of the 3 JLo has under her belt 

JLo didn't dominate any of those three. :rip: 

People like Barbra and Cher…even Gaga… actually dominated both music and film at certain periods. 

• Thumbs Down 1

7 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

People like Barbra and Cher…even Gaga… actually dominated both music and film at certain periods. 

She did with music - JLo was one of the biggest global sellers of 2001 peaking at #1 in Europe and US, Billboard's Female Pop Artist of the Year, making year-end top 20 in multiple countries and countless $100M+ WW grossing films and dance being self explanatory. People can question her talent all they want but receipts don't lie.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Hmm that's not true, JLo was an in demand star in the late 90s/early 2000s. Selena, Out of Sight, Maid in Manhattan, The Wedding Planner, Monster in Law all did well and were marketed around her. She was paid $15 million for Monster in Law which is leading lady A list actress level salary. I think only Julia Roberts was making more per movie at the time out actresses.

And she was huge musically from 1999-2003, eight Top 10 hits in America including four #1s and an average of 3M copies sold per album.

Edited by MatiRod
  • Thanks 1

BrandNewBrandon
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, romas_ld said:

She has zero impact 

I gave you examples of impact solely by her. You can't simply say she had zero. 

Edited by BrandNewBrandon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.