Anne Hathaway: Christopher Nolan saved my career from dying after Les Mis backlash

Espresso

4 hours ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

To be honest I've never met a Gwyneth Paltrow hater and yet she's being called the most hated Actress. But yeah, I don't get the Hathaway-hate either. 

I'm not reaching when I say it all has to do with jealousy.  People think she's too perfect, she's not relatable.  It was the same thing with Gwen... people assume something has to be wrong with naturally talented beautiful women who don't have a public breakdown, so they project their own insecurities and flaws onto them as a way to cope.  Anne (and Gwen) experienced this faux outrage despite neither doing anything to warrant such negative attention.  Jealously.

Edited by Archetype
  • Like 1

the Anne renaissance has to be the best thing that happened in the last few years, she seems so fun

• Like 4

Jist because you weren't aware of the backlash/hate doesn't mean it didn't exist. Jlaw also got hated and they only switched back recently. A few years from now, they will pretend like she was never hated. 

• Like 1

She's kinda extra sometimes and she's lucky that the GP keeps celebrating TEWP and Princess's Diaries because without those two she doesn't have something memorable, that Nolan film she barely does something remarkable there she just wanted to feed a headline and use Nolan's name for clout she's smart.

• Thumbs Down 3

torturedpoet
5 hours ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

To be honest I've never met a Gwyneth Paltrow hater and yet she's being called the most hated Actress. But yeah, I don't get the Hathaway-hate either. 

It's me, hi. 

5 hours ago, UnusualBoy said:

I remember this and countless articles dragging her for no reason.

This. People were dragging here left and right. It was 180 degree from where she is now, public image wise. 

Gosh, I didn't even know she suffered from a hatetrain becuz I always assumed people thought she's sweet. Damn. I was wondering why she is more lowkey nowadays, when it's the effect of the backlash why I don't see her often in movies now

I will never, in a billion years, understand the hate train for her. she's pretty, smart, cool, talented, and a positive person… it feels like it either stems from jealousy, misogyny, or some cursed combination of both of those things. people hating should redirect that energy, cause it's f*cking pathetic.

anyways, love Anne :clap3:

and when it comes to Les Mis, she DEVOURED that role! 

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

I'd say they're different and I know a lot of people who don't like Gwyneth. Goop being a whole load of nonsense, telling women to do stupid things to their bodies, is a pretty justifiable reason for disliking her. 

Anne on the other hand did literally nothing wrong and yeah the hate was super forced 

• Like 1

She was perfect on Les Mis! I'm so confused and glad I didn't know there was backlash.

She has that theater kid energy Where's she's a bit too precious about her work but that's not a reason to hate. People just want their stars to pretend to be humble and no big deal so they feel better about their own lives. She seems like a sweetheart in everything I've seen her in.

6 hours ago, Tudors said:

She sure does kiss her own ass a lot in this recent interview

Where exactly is she "kissing her own ass" in that interview? She's rewatching her earlier films, praising her co-stars and talking about how proud she is to be a part of those incredible and iconic films. You're acting like she's sitting there going "Wow, I truly am an incredible actress! Look at me killing it!" :skull:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lovett said:

Where exactly is she "kissing her own ass" in that interview? She's rewatching her earlier films, praising her co-stars and talking about how proud she is to be a part of those incredible and iconic films. You're acting like she's sitting there going "Wow, I truly am an incredible actress! Look at me killing it!" :skull:

Its giving Kim K and Julia here 🤣

1 minute ago, Tudors said:

Its giving Kim K and Julia here 🤣

Yes, a woman who says she's proud of herself and her work must be criticised for being arrogant. Got it. :coffee2:

• Like 2

She peaked in a time when the whole "kindness" "relatable" schtick was on its rise to dominate mainstream culture. Obviously her theater kid demeanor would clash with that prevailing norm. 

She was being pitted against JLaw during that time who was a mess but relatable star as compared to her who was prim and proper. Thankfully her PR people managed to turn things around by making her lean into that theater prim and proper extraness to make it appear natural and endearing to the GP. 

6 hours ago, Happylittlepunk said:

It honestly feels very forced. Like someone or several people within the industry dislike her and started a forced hate train against her. Like you can't find mega viral tweets or tik toks of hate compaigns against her. You can find so many from literally so many different pop girls on a daily basis but for Anne it's literally non existent. Yet the media insisted to so much she was so hated after winning the Oscar's that it effected her career after words which usually is the complete opposite after you win an Oscar. You can command more money and better roles etc. This whole thing seems so suspicious.

She had her "we love her again" moment but that doesn't mean the hate train was fake and orchestrated by the media :skull: 

8 hours ago, Tudors said:

She sure does kiss her own ass a lot in this recent interview

Huh? Where? She's literally praising her co-stars and production crew by their full names and speaking highly of productions she was involved in. 

The misogyny on this site reeks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I vividly remember her hate train and how weird and unjustified the whole thing felt. Women (people in general) who show any amount of earnest, who don't act like they "don't try" for the things that they want and who wear their ambitions on their sleeves and are outwardly proud and happy when they accomplish them are either mocked or vilified.

It's a symptom of much larger cultural zeitgeist of irony where you have to act cool, effortless and like you don't actually care to be celebrated. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.