Normani f/ Gunna - "1:59"

hallucinate

If her team was smart they would plan a double drop with a more uptempo song after seeing the reception to this snippet 

• Like 1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wonbin

• nooniebao

• popularmoonlight

• Armani?

On 3/23/2024 at 11:25 AM, Darn Tootin said:

Her 17th debut single is coming bestie :jonny: @Smarticle we WILL be streaming 

spacer.png

The way i was post restricted while she announced :deadbanana2:

ezgif-2-2188c343ac.gif

ngl she kinda lost me with the teaser, having all that hype and anticipation has definitely not helped because everyone was expecting her to go off with something more uptempo i think

Rooting for our girl and blocking out a lot of the noise about her on socials. 

People just like to talk and have a herd mentality in the name of RTs and likes, yet will be the same people moaning that there are no talented acts on the scene succeeding. The dumb af irony of it all. 

Sadly, the S10 days and Mani's post-Motivation narrative have done a lot of damage that I'm not sure can be totally undone. And, if it can (be undone), it'll have to be on some "I can show you better than I can tell or promise you" ish. And consistently at that.

THAT SAID, I have two kinda-sorta concerns:

Distance to the Single

I've been pretty loud online and offline about there being nothing wrong with the gap between the album announcement and now. I felt announcing the album first with a tangible presave link was bold, gutsy, and set the right tone narratively after so much chaos.

However, dropping the single a month from **now** is a wtf. Especially when put in the context of the album being announced a month ago. That makes two months between the album announcement and us hearing its lead. That, in the most literal sense of the word is... unnecessary. I'm sorry, this is not Beyonce or Rihanna in the sense that it'll be wildly hyped for that duration. And even they wouldn't do something like that. 

It puts a lot of pressure on the single to deliver. Because it'll either be "is that...it?!" or "OMG, it was worth the wait". With very little in-between. It's also a lot of pressure on it not leaking. For her sake, it really needs to all stay under wraps. Because, while the GP doesn't know/care that Camila's single leaked a whole month or so before its revised release date, people will definitely do thee most if it happens to Mani. 

More than anything, rather than event-izing ONE SONG (essentially making it a "comeback" effort), I really think more acts should embrace what Cardi just did. Warm em up with something that you make unequivocally clear isn't the single and come swinging literally right after with "the" single. Like the next week. Feeds the streaming machine and establishes momentum.

(Playing devil's advocate, I wonder if RCA is mandating a lengthy presave frame to have her meet a certain internal benchmark, even if it takes more time. Because the reality, to some degree, is that she's once again starting from relative scratch). 

Lack of Uptempo

I'm sorry but it's officially in dizzy and dense territory now. The audience continues to ask for uptempos and yet it's the one thing she refuses to give them first?

For an act in Normani's specific predicament, *not* listening to your already small base is not the move. Similarly, while I'm all for artistic expression, this is a business first and foremost. Normani and her output factually are products. I've seen the likes of SZA and Summer Walker's names floated by some fans as justifying her nonsense, but the reality is that THEY have that sleepy R&B lane on lock. So, as a product, one has to ask themselves what can be done to STAND OUT rather than join an already established line of ladies doing the same-ish. I get the sense that Mani thinks her USP is dancing. But much as I love Wild Side, she's forcing uptempo Lose My Breath choreo on what amounts to an R&B slow jam. SHE can pull it off in the videos etc, but it's NOT the way the song will be engaged with in "real life". You won't hear Wild Side or this upcoming song in anyone's club nor can I see it being a thing on TikTok.

Mini essay aside lol, I'm choosing to trust her team. Lydia seems legit af and I do like that they are leaning into past/present messiness. Always better to be in on the joke. That said, they better have a serious and flaw-free rollout ahead. Video, remixes, performances, and some kind of social media plan (as that has always been lacking). A good contingency would having single #2 ready to roll in time for summer too. Like, it really is time to knuckle down and be serious.

• Like 6

Yall act like music is rocket science. If she had the material the label backed before she would have released it. 

I bet the album announcement was her teams idea to force the labels hand.

The delay to release the single clearly is to align label resources behind the song or it will be DOA. She wants to launch the album with a hit single. This is a solid song. It will do well if the general audience is in the type of mood like when Boo'd Up took off.

• Like 3

@4RCH1M3D35 I get that but I absolutely doubt her team would announce the album, wipe her insta and play a snippet of her single against her label to force their hand lol. It's been said many times that RCA is on her side 

• Like 1

I have lost all hope at this point. I mean she really should have just released the entire project that Friday of the announcement. 

This game she continues to play is exhausting. I always supported & defending her but i can't anymore.

• Haha 2

you guys are so dramatic  :laugh:

• Like 1

All this delay and ??hype for nothing. She's just trolling at this point. She should just release something and see if it sticks. This may potentially bomb, and she's going to go back into waiting infinitely again for that smash that will never come. I don't get this tactic to be honest, especially in today's streaming age. 

Honestly, one thing I've learned from people on here is that they're always quick to run and call her a flop/bomb, but they will always be the first to tune into her releases. It's crazy how a little snippet has these people writing essays and paragraphs when this is the music she wants to release. Let her just release the stuff she wants; she's not trying to be anybody, nor is she desperate for commercial success. The same people writing these essays are the same people who, every time a girl debuts, scream "she took Normani's spot", - just focus on your little fave, and leave Normani alone.

• Like 3

Wild Side and Motivation were her best single choices. I like Fair but I do not understand why that was a single :deadbanana2:

This song... let me keep my mouth shut

It's not a Normani thread if there's not a bit of drama :redface:

• Like 2

Well obviously half of this forum would hate the snippet considering they already hate her for only having 3 songs, but for me personally (an actual fan) I was hooked on the snippet once it was out. The first Wild Side snippet did not reveal how the whole song sounded and the verses were actually stronger than the chorus so there's obviously hope. Let's wait and see what they have 

lAxZIKp.gif

• Like 1

I am rooting for her so hard and fully believe in her talent, but the snippet of this single legit pissed me off :beatfreak:

Obvi I want upbeat and I'm fine if we don't get that, but we need to be a little more innovative with the sound. 1:59 legitimately sounds like the R&B equivalent of an Ava Max song - nothing new, genre-pushing, or THAT interesting…

It'll be fine for the fans of that specific sound, but she needs to push something to track more of an audience and really stick.

• Like 1

Me holding out hope this about to be another Love Lies where it just smashes out of nowhere. 

Gunna features eat, so the quality will be there. Also, 1:59 is label backed. That's why y'all not getting an uptempo. The label think this is a bop! :bird:

37 minutes ago, Flare said:

Me holding out hope this about to be another Love Lies where it just smashes out of nowhere. 

Gunna features eat, so the quality will be there. Also, 1:59 is label backed. That's why y'all not getting an uptempo. The label think this is a bop! :bird:

they better have the spotify and radio payola ready then :foxaylove3: 

This song sounds a snooze

though mad props to her how she turned all this delaying into her shtick and always creates conversations about her as if she has some crazy discography or is actually relevant

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Facelessboy said:

I have lost all hope at this point. I mean she really should have just released the entire project that Friday of the announcement. 

This game she continues to play is exhausting. I always supported & defending her but i can't anymore.

Release an album.... without a single, after two years of not releasing, with no footwork or promo. Do y'all hear y'all selves? It didn't work for Justin and it wouldn't work for her. 

• Like 2

What about the album she teased around a month ago? 

To put it plainly, she is just not fit to be a solo musician imo. Maybe the Fifth Harmony reunion will do her good.

Sounds like something from brandy's b7, which I love. I do however understand the backlash. 

10 hours ago, 808dream said:

What about the album she teased around a month ago? 

this is obviously the first offering from that album...

why is everything with normani so SLOW 

like... 1 month?? i can't 

girl i love positive vibes "take ur time" and stuff but yours is just too much imo 

It's giving Wilde Side and that was my favourite song of 2021

I would have also preferred something uptempo but we have to let her have some creative freedom.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.