Examples of MPG softening up their image after they went "Good Girl Gone Bad"?

Josh

Y'all are confusing the image with the content lol maybe it would be better understood if OP used a title like "When the follow-up album is an attempt to reverse commercial backlash due to mega controversy". MADONNA absolutely fits the bill there. It was a slow process and wasn't really done in one album but she wrote the book on how to make the public bow back down in your own time and on your own terms". Her whole 90s decade should be a masterclass study in subverting the "Madonna-***** complex."

Edited by Soda Pop Queen
  • Like 6

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eternium

• PoisonedIvy

• JoeAg

• TitanicSurvivor

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to Basics was the first one that came to mind 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eternium said:

ILWYMMD was her first video with black people 

It was off-putting for her fans 

Saying the quiet part out loud :deadbanana2:

Miley comes to my mind

lowkey All I Ever Wanted

like My December was super edgy with all the diaristic details, like Don't Waste Your Time is actively dragging specific sh*t her ex did and Sober is about addiction in a very personal way and Irvine/Chivas both sound like someone about to give up on their life... and then All I Ever Wanted returned her to sugary pop rock. yes, the title track and Whyyawannabringmedown are pure rock songs that are actually covers of equally good originals by a Texas hard rock band, but the album itself has a lovely sparkly sheen that makes it so much more good girl again. I mean compare the monogamy-is-amazing lyrics of Don't Let Me Stop You and the teenage (still brilliant) melodrama of The Day We Fell Apart to the pure anger of Hole and the biblical-adjacent bittersweetness of Be Still. it's two very different sides to Kelly

• Like 5

"good girl again" seems like the label's always want some course correction, but they often result in music that is JUST as good as the bad girl music lol. and I think with poptimism people have begun to accept that

I feel it coming for Doja's next era. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, selena_lavigne said:

Honey i'm not a conservative christian that only listens to classical music and watches Lord Of The Rings every other week. A woman or a man or a person of any gender for that matter in pop music talking about their sexuality is standard practice. I'm not gonna call them "bad girls" just for saying they sucked a dick.

I get that you may not, but the GP is. You have to remember that artists have to face the voices of all critics and those voices are shaped by the political climate. Britney Spears had a governor's wife say she'd shoot her if she could because Britney showed her midriff and the governor's wife thought it was a bad influence for children.

2 hours ago, PoisonedIvy said:

The "aryan goddess" **** that was bestowed upon her by some red pill wingnuts did not alter the course of her career or force her hand into any creative decisions. She had already worked closely with other black artists, 5 or 6 years prior to the NPR article you linked. If those white supremacists didn't notice that Taylor was obviously not a raging racist, then that's on them, not her, and she had no obligation to "prove them wrong,” insinuating that featuring black people in her music video was a means to that end is ignorant, prejudicial, and presumptuous. And no, she did not mention the Neo-Nazi **** in the documentary because it is not worthy of attention on that scale. 

Every artist reacts to controversy. Taylor had 34 music videos before LWYMMD and yet, she followed that controversy up by finally including black talent in her videos. Then she went on to take a vocal stance in #MeToo, spoke out in LGBT support with YNTCD, supported two Democratic candidates in 2018, etc.

She responded directly to the controversy and spoke out against white supremacy in Rolling Stone in her Reputation promotions. And in Ms. Americana, she and her dad had a conversation about her going political as a liberal and her dad expressed fear of that due to the political climate. 

I was able to find all of this using Google in less than two minutes, sis. And if you read my original post, it was dragging that sect of Swifties, not shaming Taylor for distancing herself from those white supremacists. 

4 hours ago, Eternium said:

I get that you may not, but the GP is. You have to remember that artists have to face the voices of all critics and those voices are shaped by the political climate. Britney Spears had a governor's wife say she'd shoot her if she could because Britney showed her midriff and the governor's wife thought it was a bad influence for children.

Every artist reacts to controversy. Taylor had 34 music videos before LWYMMD and yet, she followed that controversy up by finally including black talent in her videos. Then she went on to take a vocal stance in #MeToo, spoke out in LGBT support with YNTCD, supported two Democratic candidates in 2018, etc.

She responded directly to the controversy and spoke out against white supremacy in Rolling Stone in her Reputation promotions. And in Ms. Americana, she and her dad had a conversation about her going political as a liberal and her dad expressed fear of that due to the political climate. 

I was able to find all of this using Google in less than two minutes, sis. And if you read my original post, it was dragging that sect of Swifties, not shaming Taylor for distancing herself from those white supremacists. 

Your google search lacked a lot of context then. The reason she decided to speak up politically was her sexual assault trial victory coupled with her overcoming her eating disorder. It's that simple. She felt empowered enough to try to help others after being able to help herself.

And she had already featured black talent in her music videos before with Bad Blood, You Belong With Me, Mean.. you're pushing a narrative that doesn't exist. No one in the LWYMMD video is any more prominent than Serayah, Zendaya, or Kendrick in Bad Blood.

Edited by PoisonedIvy

4 hours ago, Eternium said:

I was able to find all of this using Google in less than two minutes, sis.

Maybe you shouldn't be in a hurry. Writing BS essays without knowing proper context can be dangerous. 

20 hours ago, lonnie said:

It was certainly a brighter and less melancholic era, but she still maintained the same persona. Not compared to say Miley going from Bangerz to Younger Now.

I would say it was CERTAINLY a turn to the "softer" side and fits this thread. Rihanna went form a dark, edgy aesthetic and sound to everything bright and bubbly - still sexy and sassy, but fun and uplifting. Other than the "Man Down" video of course. I would say Janet's Velvet Rope to All for You is in a similar vein.

Edited by eli's_rhythm
  • Like 1

All for you by Janet Jackson 

12 hours ago, Raphy23 said:

I feel it coming for Doja's next era. 

We would love to see it 

8 minutes ago, eli's_rhythm said:

I would say it was CERTAINLY a turn to the "softer" side and fits this thread. Rihanna went form a dark, edgy aesthetic and sound to everything bright and bubbly - still sexy and sassy, but fun and uplifting. Other than the "Man Down" video of course. I would say Janet's Velvet Rope to All for You is in a similar vein.

I think those two albums and eras are very interesting. Of course with Janet you have the Son of a Gun song and video which like Man Down stands out from the bubblier/more colourful songs like Someone To Call My Lover, All For You, Doesn't Really Matter/Only Girl, What's My Name. They're not as dark or edgy as their predecessors but they're not all the way clean. They're more "fun", but they're not entirely a new image to try to clean up their previous era as some popstars have done. They just went from dark, depressed, touching on "heavy" topics like depression, suicide, abuse,  etc to making "lighter" music. They were still very raunchy and unapologetic about their sexuality. But I see the point of softness from your perspective, I just think it's a different kind of softness than the one intimated by OP.

Edited by lonnie
  • Like 3

where's all for you :skull: 

16 hours ago, Soda Pop Queen said:

Y'all are confusing the image with the content lol maybe it would be better understood if OP used a title like "When the follow-up album is an attempt to reverse commercial backlash due to mega controversy". MADONNA absolutely fits the bill there. It was a slow process and wasn't really done in one album but she wrote the book on how to make the public bow back down in your own time and on your own terms". Her whole 90s decade should be a masterclass study in subverting the "Madonna-***** complex."

I'd argue that M doesn't even fit the bill when it comes to attempting to reverse commercial backlash due to mega controversy, to an extent.

While Bedtime Stories was indeed an attempt at trying to soften the public's perception of her - especially musically -, she was extremely unapologetic about the themes and content she explored during the Erotica era in every single interview she did in that era (and remains so to this day), and managed to get a song she wrote criticizing people who criticized her for it released as a single and (briefly) played on radio. This was also at a time where she achieved the longest number one single of her career in the USA too. She was arguably still a "bad girl" then (and pretty much had been since day one of her career).

I think ROL is her true image-softening album.

For most girls this just means taking on the image of white values after having appropriated poc for an era

Maybe not "bad girl" era but Oscars tribute, Joanne and ASIB were definitely a palate cleanser after ARTPOP 

2 hours ago, C_Colstead said:

I'd argue that M doesn't even fit the bill when it comes to attempting to reverse commercial backlash due to mega controversy, to an extent.

While Bedtime Stories was indeed an attempt at trying to soften the public's perception of her - especially musically -, she was extremely unapologetic about the themes and content she explored during the Erotica era in every single interview she did in that era (and remains so to this day), and managed to get a song she wrote criticizing people who criticized her for it released as a single and (briefly) played on radio. This was also at a time where she achieved the longest number one single of her career in the USA too. She was arguably still a "bad girl" then (and pretty much had been since day one of her career).

I think ROL is her true image-softening album.

Yes, that's why I said the image softening and reversal of commercial backlash wasn't completely done in one album. Even with her back up against WB, it was in her own time and on her own terms. 

mind you, Shake It Off already had multiple black dancers on the music video and it's not like her other mvs had any choreo to begin with, idk what #that user is talking about like be so freaking for real.

OT: Lover :gaycat5:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lorenzo22 said:

mind you, Shake It Off already had multiple black dancers on the music video and it's not like her other mvs had any choreo to begin with, idk what #that user is talking about like be so freaking for real.

OT: Lover :gaycat5:

Erm I don't think making fun of twerking black women is the inclusivity you may think it is :skull:

19 hours ago, JoeAg said:

Don't Let Me Stop You

A little off topic maybe but - A TOP 5 song in her discography, no hyperbole. They fumbled by not making it a single :weeps:

2 hours ago, nostalgic said:

A little off topic maybe but - A TOP 5 song in her discography, no hyperbole. They fumbled by not making it a single :weeps:

oh absolutely :jonny4: this song and a few songs on the second  side randomly clicking for me recently have promoted All I Ever Wanted to a top 3 Kelly album for me!

Renaissance and Cowboy Carter were definitely created as a partial response to the racist backlash Beyoncé incurred with Lemonade and The Gift eras. I don't know how else to say it so don't come for me. :ninja:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.