Irish Taoiseach Leo Varadkar announces shock resignation

Kitty Kat

Will the country have early elections or will they just put the new Fine Gael leader as PM?

BYE! Won't be missed x

He's probably fuming he won't be able to use his status to meet Taylor during Eras in June.

3 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

Will the country have early elections or will they just put the new Fine Gael leader as PM?

Currently they're hoping to do the latter, but a lot of people want an early general election.

• Thanks 1

Delighted. 

Though Simon Harris will probably take over. :biblio:

48 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Delighted. 

Though Simon Harris will probably take over. :biblio:

I fear he'd actually be worse :rip:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, holyground13 said:

Currently they're hoping to do the latter, but a lot of people want an early general election.

Why have new elections when there will be one next year anyways? Is there a party that thinks they have an advantage in having the elections  a year early?

4 minutes ago, chessguy99 said:

Why have new elections when there will be one next year anyways? Is there a party that thinks they have an advantage in having the elections  a year early?

The general election will probably still happen next year but lots of the people living here are just sick of the government.

A party called Sinn Féin is popular among many people especially young people, but they are also controversial for a few reasons. The main one is that they want a United Ireland (i.e. Northern Ireland to join back with the Republic) and they were involved in violence about 30 years ago (though time has moved on since then). Their policies are economically more left-wing than our current government but some people think they haven't given enough detail on how they'll run the country. They'll probably collect more tax from well-earning people but there are many people who don't want that.

Sinn Féin actually got the most votes in the 2020 election but not enough to form a government. So for that reason, three parties - Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil and The Green Party - decided to form a coalition government.

There's also some smaller parties but none will probably be enough to form a government unless they form a coalition with Sinn Féin which they potentially could.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holyground13 said:

Oh he will. Absolutely useless 

• Like 1

Good riddance but this changes nothing :rip: We're getting another neoliberal clown from his party either way.

After he told Biden to his face that he and Ireland will always support Palestine...

Somethings FISHY

9 hours ago, holyground13 said:

good

more fuel to sinn fein next year

• Thanks 1

Coveney's taken himself out of the leadership race. The bookies are saying that it'll be Harris. I wonder if Donohoe will take a punt at it also. I see some rumblings also around Humphreys and Naughton, and McEntee to a lesser extent.

• Like 1

All other contenders have pulled out. Simon Harris it is :suburban: 

Tragic!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.