• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• istersay

• vinicius

• Bentley

• Kern

Top Posters In This Topic

They need to add the Drake track on major playlists (TTH included). Weekend tracks are stronger xD

Yikes, I really thought at least Hot Uptown could do something. Maybe when the radio kicks in. 

9 hours ago, vinicius said:

Well, not when you have a Espresso as a hit that does nothing for pop music and also its singer has no authenticity, character and zero charisma. Camila brought something different with I LUV IT, a song that nobody's doing at the moment and she was accused unfairly of copying another artist, as if she has to ask permission to do a type of genre, while other artists do the same thing ang get praised for very little delivery.

She has literally taken the whole I LOVE IT chant for the Hook omg. Of course no one's entitled to a genre but this is so much more than that.

Sabrina - like her or not, has a story an narrative around her, the lyrics are very 'of the moment' and everyone's checking in. Not a huge fan myself, but what made her stand out was LITERALLY her charisma and authenticity, those outro variations on the tour etc. But I guess you all live in a parallel universe, the issue with your stance is that the only thing you can back it up with is your opinion.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

6 hours ago, pinkbowvintage said:

I don't know why the critics aren't getting it. It's an objectively good pop album. 

Read Pitchfork's article again. This is the best thing that will explain to you what the issue is. Everyone else is giving scores without actually making a good case for their bad ratings. I  mean, the team behind this album is great, and the songs are ok, but I think this sentence sums it all up. Critics love authenticity, but can't give a bad rating as it's not a bad album. So you end up with this 'in the middle' score, and they can't bash it because nothing was plagiarized. It just feels like an AI constructed pop album of the moment, from the songs, to the features, to the overall branding of it.

I mean, I'd rather recieve a 4 from pitchfork then get a 6-7 with this sentence in the conclusion. And this is why the album will inevitably flop.

Cabello is so eager to go searching for new sounds you occasionally wonder if she ought to be crediting other artists for the raw material she's working with. Even though she's decidedly Lana-endorsed, "June Gloom" cribs a little too much from the singer's laconic flow for comfort; ditto Amaarae on "He Knows," which fits a little too neatly into her sweaty, eclectic vision of Afrobeat. It still feels almost psychedelic how in-your-face the Charli XCX rip is on "I Luv It," especially in light of the album's title.

• Thumbs Down 1

21 minutes ago, AlleeX said:

Cabello is so eager to go searching for new sounds you occasionally wonder if she ought to be crediting other artists for the raw material she's working with. Even though she's decidedly Lana-endorsed, "June Gloom" cribs a little too much from the singer's laconic flow for comfort; ditto Amaarae on "He Knows," which fits a little too neatly into her sweaty, eclectic vision of Afrobeat. It still feels almost psychedelic how in-your-face the Charli XCX rip is on "I Luv It," especially in light of the album's title.

I think it's wild comparing He Knows to anything afrobeat. And saying her album title is in any way related to Charli because of some C's and X's is ridiculous. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, ChooseyLover said:

I think it's wild comparing He Knows to anything afrobeat. And saying her album title is in any way related to Charli because of some C's and X's is ridiculous. 

They explicitly said eclectic VISION of afrobeat. So, while the song is not afrobeat, it's sound is influenced by it. And they just used it as an example of the ways in which Camila and her team have been going around and taking these different sounds and delivery styles, slapping it onto a project that in the end sounded very disingenuous, disjointed, and like she's a guest act on her album.

To your second point, the album title in combination with a far more problematic element, which is her lead single's chorus/hook. Of course, charli doesn't own, neither did she invent the XCX/XOXO but it's just a bit tacky overall. Imagine someone in 2010 rebranding into a Kesha like sleazy glam/pop-rap and adding a $ into their album title. Of course it's not plagiarism, but it is a bit like - wouldn't you wanna come up with something unique, something that stands out, even if you feel that the $ or XOXO are such a unique element of your artistic expression lol. I personally would love to stand out and if I were Camila I would be trying harder to come up with something that fits the narrative more uniquely.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, AlleeX said:

They explicitly said eclectic VISION of afrobeat. So, while the song is not afrobeat, it's sound is influenced by it. And they just used it as an example of the ways in which Camila and her team have been going around and taking these different sounds and delivery styles, slapping it onto a project that in the end sounded very disingenuous, disjointed, and like she's a guest act on her album.

To your second point, the album title in combination with a far more problematic element, which is her lead single's chorus/hook. Of course, charli doesn't own, neither did she invent the XCX/XOXO but it's just a bit tacky overall. Imagine someone in 2010 rebranding into a Kesha like sleazy glam/pop-rap and adding a $ into their album title. Of course it's not plagiarism, but it is a bit like - wouldn't you wanna come up with something unique, something that stands out, even if you feel that the $ or XOXO are such a unique element of your artistic expression lol. I personally would love to stand out and if I were Camila I would be trying harder to come up with something that fits the narrative more uniquely.

I still don't see any vision or influence of afrobeat in the song at all? I guess the producers and people involved in the song would have to tell us if that was part of the moodboard at all but I really doubt it. To me the person that wrote that review must not be very familiar with that genre.

And even though Charli is one of the most prominent artists approaching Hyperpop she's far from the only one and I doubt she's even the most representative of it. And I Luv It is the only one song that tackles it, as far as I remember, so to me it's just her reputation preceeding her and them being extra-hard on pop singers when they rely on weak and vague arguments like this. Also xoxo is a term that has been used for decades and nobody owns it like it's just stupid to even go there. Are we supposed to believe people see "xoxo" and Charli comes to mind?

I do understand why critics would believe her new music seems disingenuous because the switch coming from Familia is striking though. But if they try to sustain that claim with the arguments you listed then it's completely absurd.

• Like 1

I don't feel this at all. The LNX track is pretty cute but the rest is not for me. 

I might success stan tho. 

Jesus calm down, she's not the only one that flopped this year and she can still make money from tour :gaycat: As long as she's not doing arenas 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kern said:

I hate how they ruined transition from pink xoxo to He Knows :rip: it's bizarre 

Maybe the full Baby Pink song will replace Pink XOXO interlude and the transitions all will work better as a whole on the deluxe?

2 hours ago, AlleeX said:

She has literally taken the whole I LOVE IT chant for the Hook omg. Of course no one's entitled to a genre but this is so much more than that.

Sabrina - like her or not, has a story an narrative around her, the lyrics are very 'of the moment' and everyone's checking in. Not a huge fan myself, but what made her stand out was LITERALLY her charisma and authenticity, those outro variations on the tour etc. But I guess you all live in a parallel universe, the issue with your stance is that the only thing you can back it up with is your opinion.

What charisma? Those outros were interesting in the first week, then it became predictable and cringey. Oh, and also racist at some point, but nobody's gonna talk about that, since is not Camila right?

And I won't even talk about her "authenticity". But yeah, I don't know what you're doing here, then. There's a plenty of threads that suit you better than Camila's.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

44 minutes ago, Kern said:

I hate how they ruined transition from pink xoxo to He Knows :rip: it's bizarre 

Yeah, 100%. They could've done so much better with that. She had the chance to do a Age of Pleasure's masterpiece transitions but they really failed. The interludes are a big letdown for me on this album. Pink XOXO is amazing but fails at the ending.

2 hours ago, Kern said:

She should go Carly Rae Jepsen route, screw the charts and make ambitious, good music 

Honestly, I'm down for it.

Carly also has a loyal fanbase. That's what Camila needs.

One thing that annoys me is camila is a PUNCHING BAG on twitter… I hate how "stans" and even the GP will forgive everyone else for racism etc except Camila when it's clear she's grew and changed from something that happened 10 years ago… It's clear atp that no matter what people will still hold it against her 

She's terribly underrated as a performer but people will never even give her a chance because of their preconceived perceptions of her.. 

She really does deserve better & It's really frustrating.. I think they weren't chasing commercial success this era given their questionable moves and maybe just positioning Camila to have a successful rebrand 

At the end of the day… Even if I didn't like the album I'll always appreciate artists taking creative risks by doing a 180 from all their previous works sonically and visually 

in my opinion Camilas main issue is the authenticity like all the reviews said… She can't keep radically changing her direction and visuals without retaining the core elements of what makes Camila, Camila. I really dig this eras vibe but it just.. doesn't seem like her.. 

I think this is a turning point in her career though I feel like what matters is what she does next. if she goes back to her singer songwriter stuff then yeah she kinda deserves it but if she carries on with the edgier albums with the hip hop influence I think this could be a change in her career and she'll start to garner a solid fanbase

Edited by thinkheknowss
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

As much as the numbers are disappointing, I think she was smart to begin to transition to a less commercial sound and something she's personally interested in. She's developing a core fanbase that's more dedicated beyond loop streaming and mass purchasing to inflate numbers. She's never going to reach debut success again so it's just setting yourself up for disappointment when the GP doesn't check on her and most of twitter hates her. 

This album is easily one of my favorite in the pop space right now and I'm so glad she took the risk. It's a shame if she doesn't get the recognition she had before but it seems to me she had decided before the rollout even started to just have fun and enjoy the music she made. Her attitude and energy is noticeably different and she seems very happy. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, BlahBlahBlah said:

This album is easily one of my favorite in the pop space right now and I'm so glad she took the risk. It's a shame if she doesn't get the recognition she had before but it seems to me she had decided before the rollout even started to just have fun and enjoy the music she made. Her attitude and energy is noticeably different and she seems very happy. 

This is so true. It's been a while since I've seen someone so full of life and excited about their new music. I hope this is transitional record.

l

Edited by Kern
  • Like 1

chanel no5 is one of best songs released this year, i can't believe camila of all people did that :clap3:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.