• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• istersay

• vinicius

• Bentley

• Kern

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Papi Juancho said:

We probably would have had the album this week until the girl with no money decided to *** it up :duck:

Reveal hidden contents

And the things she's still doing, trying to create controversy, she's so desperate to have a "Barbenheimer" moment so bad because she knows it's the only thing that can save her mediocre album. :duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck:

Thank God Camila's team was smart (this time) and moved the date because it would hurt the release even more, with the Carla Xbox comparisons and the controversy of releasing in the same week as the uber eats girl  :duck:

the way she dropped her track list right after camila's……

too many coincidences lol 

she's been acting weird for a while now. too many proofs

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

I don't think this is really that big of a deal for anyone lol.

That's Normani's debut album, they are not really competing because they are not on the same level and expectations are different.

I also doubt people outside ATRL remember/care that they were together in a group.

And even here both don't have enough stans for it to be such a war lol 

I'm actually glad that the album got pushed. Coming the week after Charli would've been an absolute disaster online since all anyone would be doing is comparing them. June 28th gives the xcx cult time to quiet down (love Charli but her fans are pulling Barbz level insanity) 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Bentley said:

flake has stopped liking all of her posts…

not even the one with the tracklist, which makes Me kinda nervous 

I dunno but all I do know is hotuptown better be the focus single with album. Flake hasn't liked any of her post on insta since I luv it release. Makes me nervous @Golden Hour

But why hasn't FLAKE liked any of her instagram post since I luv it release . Big side eye to this BABY man 

Angry Dc Universe GIF by Max

??? :bibliahh:

• Haha 1

who the **** is flake

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Veis said:

who the **** is flake

beats me monsterlaugh.gif

42 minutes ago, Veis said:

who the **** is flake

Drake 

• Haha 1

the way someone would even check for insta likes :rip::deadbanana2:

Angry Dc Universe GIF by Max

• Haha 3

Just now, BOOMBAYAH said:

it evokes 2010s urban Tumblr vibes and cloud rap aesthetics

this is excatly what I've been thinking about today. This era is so tumblr-coded and fits into early Kesha aesthetic

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

The discourse around Camila and her new album's direction is funny. Although I'm not a huge fan of hers, the comments on her Instagram and tweets questioning her authenticity almost seem robotic. It feels like no one is discussing the actual music or themes, just reacting superficially.

That said, I appreciate the visual and creative direction she's taking. I find it much more "original" than people give her credit for. It doesn't remind me of Charli XCX; instead, it evokes 2010s urban Tumblr vibes and cloud rap aesthetics which focused on hedonism, luxury, genre/aesthetic mixing, the "cool girl" attitude, and sexuality through the lens of POC (mostly African American and Latino) perspectives. Interestingly, the tumblr aspect of it isn't far from Camila's roots, as anyone who was on Tumblr in the mid-2010s knows she had a "Tumblr" girl persona (albeit more on the basic white Starbucks girl/Victoria's Secret side of Tumblr than the cloud rap/alt-urban side). Including Carti as the first feature really takes me back to this time, as he was a huge visual reference on urban/black Tumblr back then alongside Rihanna, Kanye, Frank Ocean, ASAP Rocky, Luka Sabbat, the Kardashians, and others. (Below is a collage I made of the vibe of that aesthetic).

djdjd

I also think Camila exploring this aesthetic now isn't completely out of the blue, given the current nostalgia for the 2010s Tumblr days (evidenced by the song "Tumblr Girls" trending on TikTok). This nostalgia is also apparent in how artists like Yeat and Central Cee structure their Instagram posts and carousels. Musically, I don't see the resemblance to Charli XCX's work. The songs Camila has released seem primarily pop with some experimental touches, but nothing groundbreaking. Interestingly, she recently played "Know No Better" at an event, a song which I think perfectly captures the Tumblr vibe of that era, so, the comparisons to alternative artists don't make sense to me. It seems people just don't like her, so they perceive everything she does as bad, contrived, or forced. Even thematically and visually, I don't get the comparisons to Charli XCX. Charli has a similar party girl aesthetic which I guess can be aligned with the hedonism of urban Tumblr, however, Charli's expression of this aesthetic is through a more white queer/white European lens, which differs from Camila's approach with CXOXO.

I know I included a picture from "Spring Breakers" (which has a mostly white cast), but around that time, "cultural appropriation" became a more prominent topic of discussion. A lot of white people were getting involved in alt-urban rap spaces and adopting Cloud rap aesthetics. Ironically, white girls and light-skinned POCs were everywhere in this space on Tumblr. I remember being 16 and thinking it was weird how there was a lack of dark skin black girls on these tumblr pages despite it being a largely black space/aesthetic movement. I could go on and on about this era and its various aspects, but yeah seeing Camila's visuals immediately brought me back to that time. Spring Breakers fits nicely into that urban hedonistic aesthetic since it was both this crazy party-girl thing, also had a lot of urban and black visual influences despite the white main cast.

tumblr_mp0imvRusY1qb9pa3o1_500.gif

sprang+break.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Fallon didn't even give I luv it a boost on iTunes… not even 20 people were interested in buying it after that 💀 it's over for her 

• Haha 1

Oh well, maybe the Drake collab will make some noise. If not it's a wrap 

39 minutes ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

The discourse around Camila and her new album's direction is funny. Although I'm not a huge fan of hers, the comments on her Instagram and tweets questioning her authenticity almost seem robotic. It feels like no one is discussing the actual music or themes, just reacting superficially.

That said, I appreciate the visual and creative direction she's taking. I find it much more "original" than people give her credit for. It doesn't remind me of Charli XCX; instead, it evokes 2010s urban Tumblr vibes and cloud rap aesthetics which focused on hedonism, luxury, genre/aesthetic mixing, the "cool girl" attitude, and sexuality through the lens of POC (mostly African American and Latino) perspectives. Interestingly, the tumblr aspect of it isn't far from Camila's roots, as anyone who was on Tumblr in the mid-2010s knows she had a "Tumblr" girl persona (albeit more on the basic white Starbucks girl/Victoria's Secret side of Tumblr than the cloud rap/alt-urban side). Including Carti as the first feature really takes me back to this time, as he was a huge visual reference on urban/black Tumblr back then alongside Rihanna, Kanye, Frank Ocean, ASAP Rocky, Luka Sabbat, the Kardashians, and others. (Below is a collage I made of the vibe of that aesthetic).

djdjd

I also think Camila exploring this aesthetic now isn't completely out of the blue, given the current nostalgia for the 2010s Tumblr days (evidenced by the song "Tumblr Girls" trending on TikTok). This nostalgia is also apparent in how artists like Yeat and Central Cee structure their Instagram posts and carousels. Musically, I don't see the resemblance to Charli XCX's work. The songs Camila has released seem primarily pop with some experimental touches, but nothing groundbreaking. Interestingly, she recently played "Know No Better" at an event, a song which I think perfectly captures the Tumblr vibe of that era, so, the comparisons to alternative artists don't make sense to me. It seems people just don't like her, so they perceive everything she does as bad, contrived, or forced. Even thematically and visually, I don't get the comparisons to Charli XCX. Charli has a similar party girl aesthetic which I guess can be aligned with the hedonism of urban Tumblr, however, Charli's expression of this aesthetic is through a more white queer/white European lens, which differs from Camila's approach with CXOXO.

a post with actual depth :clap3:

take notes @Bentley

• Haha 4

I hope she doesn't release the drake collab tbh, nothing wrong with flopping with pride. Obviously she's not concerned about the charts. She shouldn't be, either. This is her risk taking album and she deserves to be able to do it to her full artistic vision. 

• Like 1

Why is there still no release countdown on Spotify?

19 minutes ago, Bentley said:

Fallon didn't even give I luv it a boost on iTunes… not even 20 people were interested in buying it after that 💀 it's over for her 

No one is using iTunes, it probably gave boost on Spotify 

I didn't like the performance. Should've cut Carti's part if he didn't show up. What the **** were those dogs for? Also the futuristic and silver aesthetic when the album is clearly right now in a Spring Breakers/Tumblr miami girl aesthetics was a choice. This era looks mad confusing, which is funny because the music videos + album covers make sense together

Edited by liquiddiamonds
  • Thumbs Down 1

I forgot how addicting I LUV it is :smiley: stuck in my head since last night.

I've ordered the signed CD, vinyl, international pack, jersey, and 2 shirts 

still want to get the blue hoodie, beach towel and sleep mask 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liquiddiamonds said:

I didn't like the performance. Should've cut Carti's part if he didn't show up. What the **** were those dogs for? Also the futuristic and silver aesthetic when the album is clearly right now in a Spring Breakers/Tumblr miami girl aesthetics was a choice. This era looks mad confusing, which is funny because the music videos + album covers make sense together

I have to agree I wish she went more in theme with the Coachella ascetic she had for her Lana performance 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, camilacabelloslaps said:

I have to agree I wish she went more in theme with the Coachella ascetic she had for her Lana performance 

Right? The vocals were good though

7 hours ago, Supervillain said:

Wait, what happened to GODSPEED? Why is it absent from the tracklist 

Was that ever a song? She didn't play or talk about it at the listening party. 

2 hours ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

djdjd

Clock that tea. Clock that tea. :coffee:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.