Argentina’s new president defunds film and tv agency

Horizon Flame

he is so disgusting

This is such a shame. :confused:

What's the obsession with right-wing governments defunding the Arts? I don't understand their logic like ???? zconfusedz.gif

57 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

What's the obsession with right-wing governments defunding the Arts? I don't understand their logic like ???? zconfusedz.gif

Arts educate people, which is something they do not want.

Plus, arts like cinema and theatre cost money and most movies and TV show don't make that much money either, specially those not 'mainstream' which Hollywood has a monopoly on. So, state funding is paramount to make sure artistic work can thrive.

Both of these aspects of 'arts' are hated by conservatives.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Mr.X said:

Plus, arts like cinema and theatre cost money and most movies and TV show don't make that much money either, specially those not 'mainstream' which Hollywood has a monopoly on. So, state funding is paramount to make sure artistic work can thrive.

Laying out facts here so don’t come for me cause I don’t support this measure:

What they are basing off to make this decision is on the fact that they are cutting off any area that is generating deficits for the administration. Currently the INCAA has a deficit of 4MM USD, and most of the budget (65-70%) does not go to productions but to salaries of administrative personnel.

They also claim that the INCAA is founded by taxes, because each ticket includes a 10% markup that goes to the institute accounts . This is more of a rhetoric discussion because INCAA staff claim it means that the organism is self sufficient and not tax-funded, whereas the president office arguments that while this is a direct allocation, people cannot chose not to pay it so it is therefore a tax by all means and purposes.

There is also an issue with public domain where in Argentina nothing really enters such status, and instead you go from paying the author to paying an organism that collects royalties from these cultural products. IE. if you make a play about Frozen you need to pay the royalties to Disney for the IP but also to this obscure organism for the Habs Christian Anderson’s The Snow Queen IP.

That out of the way, my opinions:

Point #1 is absolutely idiotic, 4MM is NOTHING for the country, being less that 0.01% of its GDP. However, the OPEX/Investment relationship is ****** up and that should be audited instead. The organism authorities, which should be aware of it, should present a turnover project instead of presenting a fight for the status quo.

Cultural products are a big part of a country identity, and the industry should be fostered, specially in cases where it is too small to compete with overseas tanks.

Point #2 I agree that if as a consumer I cannot avoid paying then it is a tax, and there should be more focus on how to tax the entertainment industry than to tax the consumers, as ultimately you are creating a barrier for culture access.

Point #3 is ridiculous and should be revoked.

Edited by Blue.

He's trying to fix Argentina's economy/inflation and it has been working.

Argentina’s monthly inflation slowed down to 13.2% in February, compared to 20.6% in January and 25.5% in December.

Not great for arts but yeah.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

why exactly was everyone rooting for this country at the world cup :rip:

Horizon Flame
3 hours ago, Mr.X said:

And communists. 

• Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, Horizon Flame said:

And communists. 

Not true. Communism is very for artistic expression and the pursuit of artistic interests. What it doesnt believe in is propaganda.

I loathe this man so much.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.