Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

SweetTalker

14 hours ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

Comments under this video exactly highlights the problem with her brand as an artist, she needs to create an identity for herself!

The comments are mostly defending her tho :devil: as a lot of us have been saying on here, this era has not been a Witness situation where Katy flopped and was also humiliated by the media and public, the GP just ignored her and the music… it's easily reversible. Her public image is still just as good as it was on the FN era and maybe even better? 

Anyways, that said her team is a mess, I used to think that Dua was a big student of pop music but it was really all TAP omfg, she trolled us hard I fear :ace:  I hope this vacation helped her and her dad to rest and rethink everything, because they're completely out of touch with pop music. I don't think she needs to reach the heights of FN again, but they need some help from some REAL professionals to handle her career better from now on. 

• Like 3

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mike_int

• Cain

• SayIt

• Relampago.

Top Posters In This Topic

If we don't get a deluxe, droplets or something throughout the entirety of next year I might just sell my ticket for this tour by October….. :dancehall2:

Its still hard for me to process she went from the highs of FN to the lows of RO. There was not a single song on FN that had me tired while there are songs from RO I havent literally came back to since first listen...the only ones I'm using are the first two singles and Illusion just because I like her voice :deadbanana2:

I always had that feeling it would be very difficult to replicate the impact  FN had on me but still if you two yrs ago told me I would be so indifferent towards her next album I would NEVER believe you:toofunny2:

Honestly I thought TAP was really the magic ingredient, too. But they've also been struggling with their artists, especially Ellie Goulding who I adore.

1 minute ago, Zkn said:

I still believe that end of an era would have been a great summer single and concert climax

End Of An Era, These Walls, Watcha Doing, Falling Forever are all single worthy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Tbh I feel like the biggest problem with RO (the album itself, not the rollout) is that Dua clearly wanted to make an album inspired by the complex theories and philosophical ideas she loves reading about + the genres of music she feels makes the most sense to present these ideas with, but at the same time she felt pressured to make a radio friendly album that the masses would be able to get into. And the result was an album that was dumbed down so much for GP appeal that the complex ideas and genres she claims to have been inspired by are barely noticeable on the album, so there's a huge disconnect by what she views the album as and what it actually is. The fact that the era hasn't been cohesive visually either doesn't help. The whole theme of this era is DISCONNECT.

If she's not going to follow the current trend of pop girls making confessional music (which imo I'm happy she isn't), she needs to either make an album full of bops (a la FN) or go all in on making an experimental album that doesn't consider whether the GP will like it. RO feels like an attempt to do both and it didn't really work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RadioactiveLights said:

Honestly I thought TAP was really the magic ingredient, too. But they've also been struggling with their artists, especially Ellie Goulding who I adore.

They announced Leigh-Anne as the next global superstar and look what they did for her :skull:

TAP and Dua just worked together but not apart, they can't get another popstar off the ground and she's stuck with her incompetent dad and incessant need to run a lifestyle blog

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, _Fey said:

Tbh I feel like the biggest problem with RO (the album itself, not the rollout) is that Dua clearly wanted to make an album inspired by the complex theories and philosophical ideas she loves reading about + the genres of music she feels makes the most sense to present these ideas with, but at the same time she felt pressured to make a radio friendly album that the masses would be able to get into. And the result was an album that was dumbed down so much for GP appeal that the complex ideas and genres she claims to have been inspired by are barely noticeable on the album, so there's a huge disconnect by what she views the album as and what it actually is. The fact that the era hasn't been cohesive visually either doesn't help. The whole theme of this era is DISCONNECT.

If she's not going to follow the current trend of pop girls making confessional music (which imo I'm happy she isn't), she needs to either make an album full of bops (a la FN) or go all in on making an experimental album that doesn't consider whether the GP will like it. RO feels like an attempt to do both and it didn't really work.

The thing is that there is absolutely no storytelling in her lyricism, she doesn't need to make it obvious who she's singing about (I doubt people would care about her exes anyway, she doesn't have really famous ones), but she could paint a picture, or sing about a detailed encounter or something 

Even New Rules has a narrative like that, the closest thing on RO is HFY, but unfortunately it's not strong enough to make it clear why we should care about her being happy for her ex

I feel like RO was her attempt at getting more personal, but none of the songs are strong enough to pull you in and make you relate. A song like Maria could work if 'Maria' wasn't an obvious fictional character that as far as we know has no other significance to Dua's life, and she just wanted to make a song about being grateful for her partner's exes. Which is a good topic in theory but she didn't deliver what was needed to land it

I feel like US has moved on from Dua, all these new girls out debuting her in that country is embarrassing (Houdini debuted with 1M), she needs US market back…

11 hours ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

There can be 100 people in the room…

She became so dull I can't

Popgirls really are the product of their team (in her case TAP) and are completely clueless on their own.

26 minutes ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

I feel like US has moved on from Dua, all these new girls out debuting her in that country is embarrassing (Houdini debuted with 1M), she needs US market back…

I mean the sound is very US friendly. That's why we been saying she should have gone for the Timbaland sound to cement herself in the US for good. 

1 hour ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

She never 'had' the US tho, like even during FN she managed to get two Top 10s there even though in the rest of the world she was scoring them left and right, after Houdini it was very much over and I don't think she has a chance there anymore

I feel like Dua herself is not very "US oriented"

If you compare, most of stars move to LA to live and work and explore the market but Dua just seems to be happy within Europe. Especially between UK, France and Spain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

girl, the US was never on her side and she still managed to succeed. One Kiss, IDGAF, STBL, Physical, No Lie, many of her biggest hits had weak positions in that country. DSN, Levitating, Cold Heart and DTN smashing everywhere while being ignored in Trumpland, it took months for those people to finally clear their ears and give the songs a chance. :coffee2:

btw you need to stop the comparison of an artist who can tour around the world with an artist who needs  perform on the B stage on a festival at 6 pm :bird:

Edited by unclefloprry
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ivan_brit said:

When she add a 3rd date at some US cities :gaycat5: Dua always wins 

I think they expect additional dates in places where there is a lot of spaces between shows

Spoiler

Crees que vaya al Foro Sol otra vez? :jonnycat:

9 hours ago, Ivan_brit said:

When she add a 3rd date at some US cities :gaycat5: Dua always wins 

I think they expect additional dates in places where there is a lot of spaces between shows

Spoiler

1 minute ago, unclefloprry said:

Reveal hidden contents

If she is planning to visit Latin America, FOR SURE she will be booked at Foro Sol!!! Im ready 

1 minute ago, unclefloprry said:

Reveal hidden contents

If she is planning to visit Latin America, FOR SURE she will be booked at Foro Sol!!! Im ready 

On 9/14/2024 at 9:39 AM, mike_int said:

I feel like Dua herself is not very "US oriented"

Not US oriented???? well

BB Hot 100 year end charts say hi

2018:
#16. New Rules

#68. One Kiss

#98 IDGAF

2020:

#4. Don't Start Now (highest Female single of the year)

#33. Break My Heart

2021:

#1. Levitating

#90. We're Good

2022:

#10. Cold Heart

#62. Sweetest Pie

2023:

#35. Dance The Night

2024:
Houdini is on lock to be at the year-end chart :duca: 

Dua getting 9 year end singles the last years & people here still dont think she is succesful at the US? :deadbanana2:  she is probably the Female with the most year-end entries (it's either her or Doja Cat but I dont have the amout of songs she has at year end charts)

BTW..... she will be on the 60 minutes tonight

+ iHeart Radio Music festival in Las Vegas this friday + Tour tickets  very soon..... maybe it's time announce the 4th single or the deluxe of RO

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ivan_brit said:

Not US oriented???? well

I assume you didn't get my post. Maybe if you quote it in full and read it in full you would understand what I was trying to say.

I copy it once again for you, try read it ;) I was not talking about charts at all.

" I feel like Dua herself is not very "US oriented"

If you compare, most of stars move to LA to live and work and explore the market but Dua just seems to be happy within Europe. Especially between UK, France and Spain "

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.