Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

SweetTalker

15 minutes ago, Cain said:

Still don't get the album title in relation to the music

urZXvV7.thumb.gif.9ee3286f16329e42421694

This is my only main critique now. Like, sis. She could have called any of her albums RO tbh - in fact FN even might be more radically optimistic in theme :skull:

• Like 2

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mike_int

• Cain

• SayIt

• Relampago.

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, ahauntingnearu said:

This is my only main critique now. Like, sis. She could have called any of her albums RO tbh - in fact FN even might be more radically optimistic in theme :skull:

I think she heard the concept and just liked the wording and idea of it, so she thought 'I'm going to name my next album that'. Probably also keeping in mind the continuation from FN, the 2 word album title, the fact it sounds vaguely pretentious 

But she should've pivoted when she made songs that have absolutely nothing to do with said concept instead of sticking with it

• Like 2

Still obsessed with this album, so sad that the reception to it hasn't been the best, the GP really flopped

• Thumbs Down 1

Posted (edited)

This is so random but I have to get it off my chest. I had a very vivid dream that Dua came to visit us for lunch. Dua was telling my parents she was a famous singer but my parents didn't know who she was. Then out of nowhere she started singing to my parents but they both looked visibly upset when she was singing passionately ( she had her eyes closed and everything). Then right when was she finished there was an awkward silence, then my dad said " It was better when you were just talking" and my mum said " OK I don't know what that was" and got up :gaycat7:

I went up to her and started talking about how good her new album is. She got a lil happy. Sorry Dua my parents were mean :dancehall:

Edited by TouchinFree
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, TouchinFree said:

This is so random but I have to get it off my chest. I had a very vivid dream that Dua came to visit us for lunch. Dua was telling my parents she was a famous singer but my parents didn't know who she was. Then out of nowhere she started singing to my parents but they both looked visibly upset when she was singing passionately. Then right when she finished my dad said " It was better when you were just talking" and my mum said " OK I don't know what that was" and got up :gaycat7:

I went up to her and started talking about how good her new album is. She got a lil happy. Sorry Dua my parents were mean :dancehall:

Not her even flopping in your dreams :gaycat6:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Cain said:

Not her even flopping in your dreams :gaycat6:

Girl I can't. I remember fixing her a plate and just kept talking about her and how good the songs were. Like it was a long dream. She even kept looking at my parents after she had just sang beautifully and pointed at her mouth confidently and said " You probably heard this on the radio" and there was an AWKWARD silence :gaycat6:

I personally love her album. And I don't know why that happened. I was cringing and was so upset with my parents :ace:

Edited by TouchinFree
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, TouchinFree said:

Girl I can't. I remember fixing her a plate and just kept talking about her and how good the songs were. Like it was a long dream. She even kept looking at my parents after she had just sang beautifully and point at her mouth confidently and said " You probably heard this on the radio" and there was an AWKWARD silence :gaycat6:

I personally love her album. And I don't know why that happened. I was cringing and was so upset with my parents :ace:

the parents represent the GP i fear :gaycat7:

• Haha 6

12 minutes ago, TouchinFree said:

This is so random but I have to get it off my chest. I had a very vivid dream that Dua came to visit us for lunch. Dua was telling my parents she was a famous singer but my parents didn't know who she was. Then out of nowhere she started singing to my parents but they both looked visibly upset when she was singing passionately ( she had her eyes closed and everything). Then right when was she finished there was an awkward silence, then my dad said " It was better when you were just talking" and my mum said " OK I don't know what that was" and got up :gaycat7:

Please more dreams like that i cant stop 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Labraiseofficial said:

Please more dreams like that i cant stop 😂😂😂😂

No please that was traumatising. I was so nervous after that incident with my parents happened and kept telling her she made the biggest hit of our time and forgot what " New rules" was called and i kept humming the song's melody and she looked confused af and kinda disappointed :rip: 

Then I said I loved her first ever song and said I was a fan ever since it came out and i got nervous again and also forgot the title and kept singing " NOT A FOOL NOT A FOOL" repeatedly, then she said "oh yeah be the one" :ace: and I kept carrying rambling on just to lift her up it was AWFUL. I offered her chicken kebab after that :ace:

Edited by TouchinFree
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cain said:

Still don't get the album title in relation to the music

And Vertigo was right there

:clap3: 

Looking back to the teasers for Houdini, I remember being so crazily excited for DL3. Like I remember exactly where I was when I saw the first teaser and I listened to it probably for an hour, daydreaming about how awesome this era is going to be.

I got the sense that we were going to see an all-new Dua Lipa - bolder than ever before, and this time with the truly psychedelic, dark pop vibe.

I was so ready for this album to be like her 'Born This Way' moment or something, especially with all the promo she did around Houdini initially - I was expecting like a bunch of Houdini-esque songs.

I really wonder if there was a change of heart last-minute?

The album has been growing on me, but if you had told me the album title back in November, I wouldn't have believed you.

Even Training Season had led me to think, "It's along the lines of Houdini for sure." But then with Illusion, I was just confused.

I doubt I'm the only one who was taken aback by the album rollout here.

• Like 9

Why do I kinda feel the "change in direction" is somewhat true 

Idk what happened along the way, but when you think about this era from start to finish, there were so many changes. We got the kaleidoscope effect to start everything, then the "Miss me?" reveal, then we were focused on signing up for optimism or whatever, Houdini's teasers were all riddles/puzzles, then… things kinda fell apart. 

Training Season's delayed release was a mess, nothing was taking off and Illusion flopping kinda killed the era for good. I think this era was just horribly planned and once Houdini didn't become a mega smash, I think they did panic and had no idea where to go from there. The whole "psychedelic" campaign was honestly just a campaign to get Houdini off the ground, and they'd worry about the rest of the era from there. 

What's dumb asf is that you can't build an entire era around just the lead single, because if that single doesn't take off like you expected, then nothing makes sense afterwards and it all falls apart from there. All of this goes back to the fact she needs to get her old team back, because this era clearly is lacking any of the strategic foresight FN had. The music is good, she does need to push it more next time around, but I don't think quality was the main issue here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

16 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

Idk what happened along the way, but when you think about this era from start to finish, there were so many changes. We got the kaleidoscope effect to start everything, then the "Miss me?" reveal, then we were focused on signing up for optimism or whatever, Houdini's teasers were all riddles/puzzles, then… things kinda fell apart. 

Training Season's delayed release was a mess, nothing was taking off and Illusion flopping kinda killed the era for good. I think this era was just horribly planned and once Houdini didn't become a mega smash, I think they did panic and had no idea where to go from there. The whole "psychedelic" campaign was honestly just a campaign to get Houdini off the ground, and they'd worry about the rest of the era from there. 

What's dumb asf is that you can't build an entire era around just the lead single, because if that single doesn't take off like you expected, then nothing makes sense afterwards and it all falls apart from there. All of this goes back to the fact she needs to get her old team back, because this era clearly is lacking any of the strategic foresight FN had. The music is good, she does need to push it more next time around, but I don't think quality was the main issue here.

Seeing the 'live in London' sessions being only for the first three singles, I think they must've thought of these songs as the first singles in advance, which kinda makes sense

What doesn't make sense is the whole black/dark aesthetic with Houdini and TS going all the way through to the album release, it makes the beach aesthetic seem disjointed, altho that does make sense with the rest of the album's sonic landscape

It's just all very mismanaged and not thought out at all :psyduck: and they had all the time in the world to plan this which makes it even more disappointing 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The random clockings and strays?!:gaycat6:

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

Oh Dua don't make that face :sistrens:

truly Dua's Music :celestial5: cult classics only! 

yeah like imagine how good the album would've sounded if it all followed the theme/sound of Houdini and Training Season...

like yeah maybe she would've been a flop but at least a fan/critics favorite

instead we have no success no fans no acclaim

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

I see all criticism of this era as direct criticism to her dad and I more than welcome it

14 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

yeah like imagine how good the album would've sounded if it all followed the theme/sound of Houdini and Training Season...

like yeah maybe she would've been a flop but at least a fan/critics favorite

instead we have no success no fans no acclaim

We have a random country live collab that is #3 on US iTunes, let's celebrate!

I think overall the concept of Radical Optimism is quite unseen in the album, despite the fact that to me it really shines and screams in the last 2 tracks with Maria (being thankful for a boyfriends ex) and Happy For You (a heartfelt song about being very sad that you lost someone, but despite that being mostly happy that they are doing great). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Relampago. said:

Yeah, I think either there was a change in direction or a severe marketing and PR error somewhere. When Houdini came out and info about Kevin Parker being involved, inspiration from psychedelic music and all it sounded like it had a total different vision from what we got. Another evidence is the few performances we had which did not scream easy-breezy beach vibes, it actually felt more like a psychedelic inspired thing.

So either they promoted it wrong or they didn't know how it was going to sound/changed direction midway.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jglj said:

Yeah, I think either there was a change in direction or a severe marketing and PR error somewhere. When Houdini came out and info about Kevin Parker being involved, inspiration from psychedelic music and all it sounded like it had a total different vision from what we got. Another evidence is the few performances we had which did not scream easy-breezy beach vibes, it actually felt more like a psychedelic inspired thing.

So either they promoted it wrong or they didn't know how it was going to sound/changed direction midway.

As vinyls have to be sent in 6 months ahead of pressing, the album was pretty much done by the time Houdini came out 

So this was definitely a marketing error

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cain said:

As vinyls have to be sent in 6 months ahead of pressing, the album was pretty much done by the time Houdini came out 

So this was definitely a marketing error

Forgot about that :rip:

Considering how Future Nostalgia was so cohesive with it's promotion and roll out, I'd have serious talks with my team.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.