• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cain

• SayIt

• mike_int

• Relampago.

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like tracks 12-15 will be a joint slay :jamming: 

I watched Eurovision for the first time today and I'm so certain Dua would win with a Kosovo entry with a song like Falling Forever

:jonny: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

I watched Eurovision for the first time today and I'm so certain Dua would win with a Kosovo entry with a song like Falling Forever

Fjekj big names never work for Eurovision, either you win and it's like "oh ofc she won it's a big singer" or you lose and then it's like "omg that famous singer LOST hahaha" 

See Olly Alexander (he's not really big but still)

• Like 2

I'm not really sure about the title for this album. Radical Optimism? Let's break it down.

1. End of an Era

In the beginning of a relationship/meeting someone, if the vibes are good, there's going to be mutual interest.

I'm not seeing any 'radical' aspect to this - this is pretty much standard stuff. Is "hey" all it really takes to get Dua on a date? Come on.

2. Houdini

Houdini is about knowing your worth, Dua says - knowng when to stay and when to leave.

Well, there's no optimism there - sounds like she's on the pessimistic side. And that's on that.

3. Training Season

The music video (also known as Sitting Season) shows Dua acting in a blasé manner. "Who understands?" is also a line in the track that I take to mean, "Nobody is really with the program here." She's saying she needs someone to hold her close, deeper than she's ever known.

It would have been more imaginative to have duality in this track by having the beginning start with all the men that obviously aren't suitable for her, and then moving on to better options given her positive/growth mindset. All she declares is that "Training Season's over," which is great - but it's not like she's saying, "I know that good guy is out there for me and he'll be mine." It's giving more, "I'm fed up of this nonsense, and this is what I came in for, and look how little I got." Once again, definitely more pessimistic.

4. These Walls

These Walls - relationship breakdown and termination.

It would be more accurate to describe it as radical acceptance, but there's not a clear outline of anything that suggests that this breakup is going to lead to some better guy she's met. It's clear that she has no alternatives in her own mind, actually, given how much rumination is present in this track. If she had met Prince Charming, these walls would be telling her to go to him, not to hang about with the loser that's giving her such a headache.

Here, the angle should have been, "What I have here is familiar and therefore psychologically safe. The new Prince Charming is unknown to me, but he could truly be the one, if I just have the courage to move on. Why am I so afraid of calling it quits? Well, maybe it's time I do and trust things will work out."

The fact that even the walls are telling her to break up indicate such a unilateral view of how awful the relationship is, but that's it. Not even really the sense that the two would be happier apart.

5. Whatcha Doing

What I don't like about this, along the 'Radical Optimism' theme, is that she's taking on a very passive role in her involvement with the new guy. "Whatcha doing to me" implies heavily that she's not really an equal, and then she goes on to explain this - losing her 20/20 vision, headed for collison, etc. It's not looking good.

But what kills the 'radical' part is: "I'm scared to death that you might be the one to change me."

Are you, Dua? Really? Well, that's not very 'radical' of you. Again, the angle of her being empowered and capable in the dynamic would have been more exciting. Think back to how good 'Future Nostalgia' was and how confident she was, especially letting her British accent come through in that track, "I know you like this beat, cos Jeff been doin' the damn thing, you wanna turn it up loud, Future Nostalgia is the name." There, she's saying, "You want the recipe but can't handle my sound," which is the more confident/radical picture I was hoping for here.

6. French Exit

"It's not a broken heart if I don't break it" isn't very optimistic - it's more about being in denial that somehow avoiding your feelings means that you won't have to process them at all.

It would have been a more interesting take to hear how she may well still need to do a French Exit on a guy, but then she allows herself to be vulnerable in the knowledge that things will get better thereafter. It's closer to reality that after a breakup, it hurts, but then there is a period of recovery. Why not lean into that and show off how optimistic you can be even during the breakup?

It's like a watered down 'These Walls', really - the walls are telling her to leave, and then she's decided to leave quietly. Again, not that radical in any sense of the word.

7.  Illusion

Illusion - more like being so disillusioned with someone pretending to be someone that they are not, and having to make all that noise to explain that you're not going to be fooled. It's less "dancing with the lessons" and more, "Girl, I can't go through that again, but let me act as if it doesn't bother me."

"Don't you know I could do this dance all night?" All I can say is: wake up, Dua. The whole idea of radical optimism would be to go, "Oh, this loser is such a waste of time. I'm actually not going to burn myself repeating my past toxic patterns. Instead, I'm seeing the pattern and I'm putting a stop to this interaction. But I know that this is for the best and will produce the most happiness in the long-run. The excitement of the toxic fling isn't sensible."

Instead, she is dancing around all the guys, suggesting she's got some maturing to do in the meantime. She contemplating the idea of being empowered, but she's still not daring enough (or radical enough) to make that intellectual leap.

8. Falling Forever

She's finally more optimistic in this one and the idea of riding through a storm is more on cue here.

Interestingly, we don't actually hear the man's perspective reflected back for us. We know she's falling, but is he? He might well still be on the plane enjoying himself, while she's skydiving and crashing towards the ground. It's giving perhaps a little bit delulu. In the context of the other tracks, this is what you are set up to think - she lives more in her own mind.

So while there is some vibe of optimism going here, you could also easily argue this is more like anxiety coming through, which isn't the same thing (but they can co-exist). The more interesting play here would have been to finally reveal some vulnerability and explain despite that, she's still riding and she's glad that he's there with her. Instead, we hear only her perspective and it's a bit like a frantic/manic diary entry - not so much a shared, mutual and loving connection that was established a while ago and has been growing ever since. If she spilled the tea, she'd say that they met a week ago (so giving more cat lady than anything else).

9. Anything For Love

This is more like the undoing of radical optimism. All she's really willing to admit is that she's not interested in a guy who isn't interested in her back. Great, but then the "remember when" is so damn sad that it's declaring plaintively how over those days are. She actually has some points, though - being terrified of heartbreak and making things look way too easy (finally some real introspection).

This is arguably one of the saddest tracks on the album, simply because it's got the most introspective quality to it, and it stands apart from the other tracks as more of an interlude. It's almost alluding towards an entire album that we didn't get, and I dare say it would have been the more interesting, heartfelt album to experience. It's also the only track that rings true, whereas everything else is a bit up in fantasy on this album (but not in a good, mature and healthy way).

This could have been the opener to an entirely different (and probably better) album.

10. Maria

So, the improvement of her new lover as a romantic partner is thanks to her lover's ex.

Meanwhile, her lover went to therapy, dealt with his toxic patterns, committed to self-improvement and so on.

What I don't like about this one - what does it mean for you, Dua? It would mean the relationship ending with you would be the best way for him to grow as a man.

While it's true that people can and do reflect on their experiences and grow subsequently, thanking Maria for this shouldn't be routine and especially be done as a third party. This should be the guy's radically optimistic perspective - yes, that relationship was terrible, but it taught me so much that I'm ready to play the game in a differen way.

Dua assuming all of this in her partner does what exactly for her? Is she more optimistic if the guy has had 100 breakups? Girl, he's probably the toxic one!

So, once again, we circle back to more her being delusional than realistic/grounded about things. It's almost cute, but she's taking zero ownership. The better angle would have been that perhaps Maria comes back into this guy's life, and Dua shows off what a woman she is compared to her, and how much better she and her new man are as a couple - and both look back at their last ex thinking, "No, we're going to stick together and we're going to make this one work," rather than, "Thanks, Maria, you're the reason why I'm even vaguely lucky enough to have a good guy this time around."

I know what she's trying to say, but it isn't hitting any radical optimism notes as such. It's more, at best, a perspective shift.

11. Happy For You

There's no looking forward to anything here. What's done is done, the guy has moved on with someone else (it makes me laugh to think he went back to Maria, IJBOL).

Again, it's more radical acceptance.

I decided to write this breakdown, because I was overall disappointed with the album, and I wanted to get a better sense of why it was such a disappointment. I think I've cracked the code - there isn't really any sense to the album itself. It feels like it was written by AI. Sonically, it only works if you are almost not paying attention to the words (almost like listening to music in another language you don't understand).

It's at best a cute, silly, summery, poppy album that you put on in the background while lazing around poolside sipping on a nice drink or something. It's that kind of vibe. But it isn't really that deep. Perhaps it doesn't need to be, but I think it's a departure from the amazing work that she put out even as far back as DL1 - way more introspection, way more emotion and pure honesty/rawness then. Even the less well known track 'Homesick' basically wipes out the 11 tracks on this album, because DL1 was way more sincere. The difference being that I still get chills and even quite emotional listening to some tracks on DL1, and then Radical Optimism has just left me feeling confused.

Would it have been different had the album rollout been over a month, smoother and more honest? Still, I don't think so - but then, I can't imagine Dua is going to go into interviews and say, "Basically, I just needed to print more money and have an excuse to do another tour. Stream it, y'all," although she does allude to that kind of vibe of going into the studio, doing the work and then wanting to go hang out with her friends.

I'm not really sure how a deluxe version of this album is going to change anything, at this point. She should concentrate on a more cohesive effort for DL4, and maybe bring back the magic of DL1 & DL2.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

51 minutes ago, donedeal said:

I'm not really sure about the title for this album. Radical Optimism? Let's break it down.

1. End of an Era

In the beginning of a relationship/meeting someone, if the vibes are good, there's going to be mutual interest.

I'm not seeing any 'radical' aspect to this - this is pretty much standard stuff. Is "hey" all it really takes to get Dua on a date? Come on.

2. Houdini

Houdini is about knowing your worth, Dua says - knowng when to stay and when to leave.

Well, there's no optimism there - sounds like she's on the pessimistic side. And that's on that.

3. Training Season

The music video (also known as Sitting Season) shows Dua acting in a blasé manner. "Who understands?" is also a line in the track that I take to mean, "Nobody is really with the program here." She's saying she needs someone to hold her close, deeper than she's ever known.

It would have been more imaginative to have duality in this track by having the beginning start with all the men that obviously aren't suitable for her, and then moving on to better options given her positive/growth mindset. All she declares is that "Training Season's over," which is great - but it's not like she's saying, "I know that good guy is out there for me and he'll be mine." It's giving more, "I'm fed up of this nonsense, and this is what I came in for, and look how little I got." Once again, definitely more pessimistic.

4. These Walls

It would be more accurate to describe it as radical acceptance, but there's not a clear outline of anything that suggests that this breakup is going to lead to some better guy she's met. It's clear that she has no alternatives in her own mind, actually, given how much rumination is present in this track. If she had met Prince Charming, these walls would be telling her to go to him, not to hang about with the loser that's giving her such a headache.

Here, the angle should have been, "What I have here is familiar and therefore psychologically safe. The new Prince Charming is unknown to me, but he could truly be the one, if I just have the courage to move on. Why am I so afraid of calling it quits? Well, maybe it's time I do and trust things will work out."

The fact that even the walls are telling her to break up indicate such a unilateral view of how awful the relationship is, but that's it. Not even really the sense that the two would be happier apart.

5. Whatcha Doing

What I don't like about this, along the 'Radical Optimism' theme, is that she's taking on a very passive role in her involvement with the new guy. "Whatcha doing to me" implies heavily that she's not really an equal, and then she goes on to explain this - losing her 20/20 vision, headed for collison, etc. It's not looking good.

But what kills the 'radical' part is: "I'm scared to death that you might be the one to change me."

Are you, Dua? Really? Well, that's not very 'radical' of you. Again, the angle of her being empowered and capable in the dynamic would have been more exciting. Think back to how good 'Future Nostalgia' was and how confident she was, especially letting her British accent come through in that track, "I know you like this beat, cos Jeff been doin' the damn thing, you wanna turn it up loud, Future Nostalgia is the name." There, she's saying, "You want the recipe but can't handle my sound," which is the more confident/radical picture I was hoping for here.

6. French Exit

"It's not a broken heart if I don't break it" isn't very optimistic - it's more about being in denial that somehow avoiding your feelings means that you won't have to process them at all.

It would have been a more interesting take to hear how she may well still need to do a French Exit on a guy, but then she allows herself to be vulnerable in the knowledge that things will get better thereafter. It's closer to reality that after a breakup, it hurts, but then there is a period of recovery. Why not lean into that and show off how optimistic you can be even during the breakup?

It's like a watered down 'These Walls', really - the walls are telling her to leave, and then she's decided to leave quietly. Again, not that radical in any sense of the word.

7.  Illusion

Illusion - more like being so disillusioned with someone pretending to be someone that they are not, and having to make all that noise to explain that you're not going to be fooled. It's less "dancing with the lessons" and more, "Girl, I can't go through that again, but let me act as if it doesn't bother me."

"Don't you know I could do this dance all night?" All I can say is: wake up, Dua. The whole idea of radical optimism would be to go, "Oh, this loser is such a waste of time. I'm actually not going to burn myself repeating my past toxic patterns. Instead, I'm seeing the pattern and I'm putting a stop to this interaction. But I know that this is for the best and will produce the most happiness in the long-run. The excitement of the toxic fling isn't sensible."

Instead, she is dancing around all the guys, suggesting she's got some maturing to do in the meantime. She contemplating the idea of being empowered, but she's still not daring enough (or radical enough) to make that intellectual leap.

8. Falling Forever

She's finally more optimistic in this one and the idea of riding through a storm is more on cue here.

Interestingly, we don't actually hear the man's perspective reflected back for us. We know she's falling, but is he? He might well still be on the plane enjoying himself, while she's skydiving and crashing towards the ground. It's giving perhaps a little bit delulu. In the context of the other tracks, this is what you are set up to think - she lives more in her own mind.

So while there is some vibe of optimism going here, you could also easily argue this is more like anxiety coming through, which isn't the same thing (but they can co-exist). The more interesting play here would have been to finally reveal some vulnerability and explain despite that, she's still riding and she's glad that he's there with her. Instead, we hear only her perspective and it's a bit like a frantic/manic diary entry - not so much a shared, mutual and loving connection that was established a while ago and has been growing ever since. If she spilled the tea, she'd say that they met a week ago (so giving more cat lady than anything else).

9. Anything For Love

This is more like the undoing of radical optimism. All she's really willing to admit is that she's not interested in a guy who isn't interested in her back. Great, but then the "remember when" is so damn sad that it's declaring plaintively how over those days are. She actually has some points, though - being terrified of heartbreak and making things look way too easy (finally some real introspection).

This is arguably one of the saddest tracks on the album, simply because it's got the most introspective quality to it, and it stands apart from the other tracks as more of an interlude. It's almost alluding towards an entire album that we didn't get, and I dare say it would have been the more interesting, heartfelt album to experience. It's also the only track that rings true, whereas everything else is a bit up in fantasy on this album (but not in a good, mature and healthy way).

This could have been the opener to an entirely different (and probably better) album.

10. Maria

So, the improvement of her new lover as a romantic partner is thanks to her lover's ex.

Meanwhile, her lover went to therapy, dealt with his toxic patterns, committed to self-improvement and so on.

What I don't like about this one - what does it mean for you, Dua? It would mean the relationship ending with you would be the best way for him to grow as a man.

While it's true that people can and do reflect on their experiences and grow subsequently, thanking Maria for this shouldn't be routine and especially be done as a third party. This should be the guy's radically optimistic perspective - yes, that relationship was terrible, but it taught me so much that I'm ready to play the game in a differen way.

Dua assuming all of this in her partner does what exactly for her? Is she more optimistic if the guy has had 100 breakups? Girl, he's probably the toxic one!

So, once again, we circle back to more her being delusional than realistic/grounded about things. It's almost cute, but she's taking zero ownership. The better angle would have been that perhaps Maria comes back into this guy's life, and Dua shows off what a woman she is compared to her, and how much better she and her new man are as a couple - and both look back at their last ex thinking, "No, we're going to stick together and we're going to make this one work," rather than, "Thanks, Maria, you're the reason why I'm even vaguely lucky enough to have a good guy this time around."

I know what she's trying to say, but it isn't hitting any radical optimism notes as such. It's more, at best, a perspective shift.

11. Happy For You

There's no looking forward to anything here. What's done is done, the guy has moved on with someone else (it makes me laugh to think he went back to Maria, IJBOL).

I decided to write this breakdown, because I was overall disappointed with the album, and I wanted to get a better sense of why it was such a disappointment. I think I've cracked the code - there isn't really any sense to the album itself. It feels like it was written by AI. Sonically, it only works if you are almost not paying attention to the words (almost like listening to music in another language you don't understand).

It's at best a cute, silly, summery, poppy album that you put on in the background while lazing around poolside sipping on a nice drink or something. It's that kind of vibe. But it isn't really that deep. Perhaps it doesn't need to be, but I think it's a departure from the amazing work that she put out even as far back as DL1 - way more introspection, way more emotion and pure honesty/rawness then. Even the less well known track 'Homesick' basically wipes out the 11 tracks on this album, because DL1 was way more sincere. The difference being that I still get chills and even quite emotional listening to some tracks on DL1, and then Radical Optimism has just left me feeling confused.

Would it have been different had the album rollout been over a month, smoother and more honest? Still, I don't think so - but then, I can't imagine Dua is going to go into interviews and say, "Basically, I just needed to print more money and have an excuse to do another tour. Stream it, y'all," although she does allude to that kind of vibe of going into the studio, doing the work and then wanting to go hang out with her friends.

I'm not really sure how a deluxe version of this album is going to change anything, at this point. She should concentrate on a more cohesive effort for DL4, and maybe bring back the magic of DL1 & DL2.

You're just radically pessimistic. ✌🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, donedeal said:

1. End of an Era

2. Houdini

3. Training Season

4. These Walls

5. Whatcha Doing

6. French Exit

7.  Illusion

8. Falling Forever

9. Anything For Love

10. Maria

11. Happy For You

Period

1 hour ago, donedeal said:

a cute, silly, summery, poppy album that you put on in the background while lazing around poolside sipping on a nice drink or something. It's that kind of vibe. But it isn't really that deep. Perhaps it doesn't need to be.

Couldve gone our whole lives with you just saying this and maybe trying to go outside. I listened to the album through by the time I finished half reading it.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Relampago. said:

Nah. Wouldn't work. Big names are on a hiding to nothing, against novelty, and the politics of the long term ( Greece and Cyprus usually award each other handsomely for instance, everyone dislikes the U.K. post Brexit), and the short term ( eg Gaza and its knock on effects  - yes that's long term but it has had big resonance this week).

Stand out for me was the two minutes of the genius that is Nile Rodgers (Alcazar interval act in effect) blew everything else out of the water.

Edited by Vermouth

3 hours ago, donedeal said:

Think back to how good 'Future Nostalgia' was and how confident she was, especially letting her British accent come through in that track, "I know you like this beat, cos Jeff been doin' the damn thing, you wanna turn it up loud, Future Nostalgia is the name." There, she's saying, "You want the recipe but can't handle my sound," which is the more confident/radical picture I was hoping for here.

Ok but seriously she needs to work with Jeff Bhasker more

Actually everybody needs to work with Jeff Bhasker more, I have no idea why he's so underrated within the pop world. Kiss It Better, National Anthem, Locked out of Heaven, Holy Ground, Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart, all his old work with Kanye... Hits upon hits. I know he has at least one FN reject that is better than any RO track

• Like 3

Ranking my favorite non-single tracks from Radical Optimism:

1. End of An Era

2. Falling Forever

3. Whatcha Doing

4. Happy For You

5. These Walls

1. End of An Era's optimistic beach vibe and the gayest bridge ever - another girl falls in love part, and that lalalala part ugh

2. Falling Forever's eurovision-like, epic and cinematic feels, plus her vocals

3. Whatcha Doing's Levitating funky vibe and that "Tell Me What You Doin To Me" bridge part

4. Happy For You's bird chirping beachy blissful vibe, the chorus melody, and that background voice on the ending instrumental makes your soul want to escape from your body and just want to cry ugh

5. These Wall's Gwen Stefani-like song which is very radio-friendly lyrically and melody

Maria is still growing on me.

French exit will take longer time i guess.

Anything For Love, meh. 

Some comments from an unbiased friend I listened to this album with a bit last night.

These Walls - "cheesy Af"

Whactha Doing - "she's yelling I don't like it"

French Exit - "it's ok"

Falling Forever - "bop"

Hoenstly I had all these same thoughts. I hated These walls at first, sounded like a Disney special theme song to me, it does have very cheesy elements especially the "these walls" parts. But it grew on me and now it's head in my head, I think it will need to grow on people.

Where are y'all :rip: don't let the thread die already

She is in France at NRJ radio 

Keep feeding us Dua!!! 

Anything For Love being so short is a crime

Reminder-- "A radical optimist is not someone with a 'Pollyanna' view of the world, but one that recognizes we can and must hold pain and possibility at the same time in order to create space for healing and change. This is the "radical" element of our optimism." 

Given how much the pandemic loomed over FN, I really love the theming of this album. Clearly given people's comments about the album, it is in itself radical to be optmistic. 

• Like 5

Do we think she'll do the whole album at Glastonbury? At the very least I hope we'll get Whatcha Doing, End of an Era and Falling Forever. Those are dying to be performed live :jonnycat:

Houdini kinda doesn't fit the album at all if we're being honest

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Happy for You is growing on me however my hateful ass can't relate :deadbanana4:

Radical Poptimism

We had the great debuts, now it's time to move into the tour and next era :eli:

• Like 1

Falling Forever's power

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, BrokenMachine said:

We had the great debuts, now it's time to move into the tour and next era :eli:

Is the tour Europe only? Hope she includes Asia.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.