• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mike_int

• Cain

• SayIt

• Relampago.

Top Posters In This Topic

1. End of an Era — Great opening track! Love the production. However, I feel like this is a song I'd play only if I'm listening to the album in full. I don't see me coming back to this song frequently tbh. 7.5/10
  2. Houdini — What more can be said? I love this song just like everyone else. 10/10
  3. Training Season — I appreciate she tried something different but I'm still not feeling this one. Can't believe this was supposed to be the lead single. 6/10
  4. These Walls — The vocals and production are pretty but this is so boring and uneventful. 5/10
  5. Whatcha Doing — I like this one! Really groovy. I wish it was a bit more explosive, especially towards the end. 7/10
  6. French Exit — I like the Latin/flamenco vibes but it's quite boring and uneventful. I wish it was more explosive. 6.5/10
  7. Illusion — This song really grew on me these past few weeks. Quite generic but a solid bop. 7.5/10
  8. Falling Forever — I'm so upset with this track. The verses provides such a great build up, but the chorus is so disappointing. Ugh. 6/10
  9. Anything for Love — Love this one! Really groovy. I just wish it was a full track rather than an interlude. 7/10
  10. Maria — I like this vocals and production but I wish the chorus and bridge were more explosive. 6/10
  11. Happy for You — A cute closing track and we finally got some "psychedelic" elements towards the end of the song. Similarly to the opening track "End of an Era", I feel like this is a song I'd play only if I'm listening to the album in full. 6.5/10

Overall, I'd give this album somewhere between a 65 and 70. I think we all know this album isn't touching Future Nostalgia. While this album isn't bad at all, a lot of the songs on this album didn't reach their full potential. A lot of the songs on this album, such as "Whatcha Doing", "French Exit", and "Maria" have a great rhythm, but the song is a bet of a let down because the chorus and/or bridge weren't as explosive as they should've been.

While I do appreciate that Dua worked with new producers and went for a new sound, I'm disappointed that there were basically no psychedelic elements in the production. When Dua covered New York Times magazine nearly one year ago in August 2023, she teased DL3 would be more psychedelic and that she was working with Kevin Parker. For the past nine months, we all thought we would be getting Tame Impala "Currents" level of excellence, but the only psychedelic elements on this album were during the final minute of Houdini and the final seconds of Happy for You. For the next album, I hope Dua doesn't speak too much about the sound and just lets the music do the talking.

I really don't know what songs from this album should be the next single(s). Nothing really screams hit. I know she's gonna be on tour during 2025, but if I were her label, I would scrap the tour, and have her work on a Nelly Furtado "Loose" pop/hip hop type of album and have it released during the end of 2025, around 18 months from now. She can't afford taking another 4 year break.

• Thumbs Down 1

42 minutes ago, enchanted0 said:

just heard it got a 6.6 from Pitchfork :jonny5: Dua stans let's unite :heart:

same as Taylor :clap3: well take it :gayalipacat5:

Listened to this thinking there'd be a bunch of Houdini's but I guess that was the only song she told Kevin Parker to add personality too :rip:

Bland as hell and half-baked. If you told me this was a Mabel or Anne-Marie album I'd believe you. She should have went all in with Houdini's sound instead of whatever H&M changing room music this was.

• Thanks 1

these walls?????? :jonny6:

• Like 1

Great pop album! :clap3:

The only real dud for me is French Exit. Falling Forever could smash.

04. These Walls

05. Maria

06. Happy For You

These would be the best single choices moving forward in my opinion. The rollout for the album has been bizarre to say the least but at least it's solid now that we can hear it. 

Yeah this is alright, it's fine. It's kinda boring. Every song is fine other then These Walls which is really one of the blandest songs I've ever heard lol. 

its just a huge, huge step down from FN. I'm pretty sure I'll just choose to keep listening to FN over this. Every song after the first three feels unfinished, like they just gave up and decided to release the album as is. It's so weird.

• Thumbs Down 3

Love her but it's boring and not worth the wait. 

French Exit is gorgeous tho

What is this album? I am so stoned right now and I was expecting a stronger album…. Beware. This is kinda long. 

Spoiler

First off, can't believe how strong the album starts and then once we reach Whatcha Doing (it starts showing in These Walls, but it's not as bad) that these aren't made for Dua. She's not hitting the proper qualifications: soothing voice, a belt once in a while and maybe some hit lyrics. I genuinely believe Kevin did a lot of writing this time and I can tell when he writes, he's trying to write songs that are gonna be hits. That's not the case. He has a knack for writing lyrics that really hit different but aren't hits (give or take Houdini which was a fluke). He's not that kind of writer and it shows in Tame's music.

As for the songs production wise, it seems like it melded with Dua's ad-libs and vocal choices. It didn't fit very well. Some of the lyrics didn't work with the beat and could have been better planned.

End of an Era is such an incredible opener. A vulnerable lyrics opener with strong production is always a win in my book. Also, THE SWEETEST PLEASURE is so aesthetically pleasing for the production. Verse 2 is not as strong as verse 1 and the chorus of course but it still sounds way better than most of the album's tracking past Whatcha Doing, lyric wise. It's SUCH A DAMN GOOD SONG. This really made me think it was gonna be such a hypnotic album. 

Houdini did the same and had me thinking. It's like my fave Dua lead ever. She & Justin Parker killed it. I could tell he was allowed to have more creative control on it so they could get people to listen to the rest of the watered down-Kevin production. 

Training Season is just fantastic. I love the chorus. The single cover was a choice but I still love the song. It took me a moment to appreciate it a lot but once it clicked it did. 

These Walls was the first sign of things changing. It started off so strong. The first verse and the chorus are so strong. "THESE WALLS" being shouted sometimes fit; sometimes don't. It seemed like part of the second verse was someone's contribution that shouldn't have participated on that. It changed the vibe of the song a bit. 

Whatcha Doing is lacking something. I can't put my finger on it but it's lacking something. The production is groovy-hypnotic but the lyrics don't seem like they fit the vibe. The whole fear of commitment/fear of heartbreak theme doesn't seem like it belongs in this song. It should either have a more sped up production or slowed much more (maybe piano/some gentle synths undertone). 

I'm really disappointed in French Exit. I ADORED the French lyric bit and the instrumental most for it (the only way to go is a French exit is a choice though). It just didn't pan out as well as I thought it would. It could have been a faster bop like "FRENCH EXIT / FRENCH EXIT, IT'S THIS WAY ***** / FRENCH EXIT, FRENCH EXIT / [SOMETHING SLAYFUL, YOU DO IT] 

Let's talk about Illusion too. It was not meant to be a single. It is an album cut for a reason. It's lacking something. I genuinely believe Kevin's production was weighed down by Harle, Ailin & Poole which I didn't think about happening. There are some parts that Harle gets right but I'm almost positive Ailin and Poole shouldn't have contributed besides the lyrics. 

As for Falling Forever, it was first: incredibly stupid to call it Falling Forever. it needs to be named How Long. It worked for Training Season because while Falling Forever is a ballad about love, fears and sex, TS (Training Season) is an uptempo fierce woman independence song. The bridge is crud too. It's a beautiful production choice but it's lacking the punch of a bridge. She sounds good when doing How Long's note holding (lord knows she'll never do it in concert because of how long she'll have to a note). 

Anything for Love angers me. It has that intro that was so unnecessary and then the song has an amazing build up then it goes NOWHERE. It's like they slapped it on the album for 11 tracks. I'm considering cutting it completely. It's like when Willow did **** YOU, a 36 second track. Just call it a damn Demo and put it on the 1st/5th/10th anniversary edition as a special demo. 

Maria is something special though, it's got so much potential for a hit. Of course it would though, Julia Michaels knows how to make hits. Not for herself of course but for other artists! The bird sounding whistle in the chorus (don't judge me, I don't know that name of **** very well) was a PERFECT touch included. 

Now; finally, Happy for You. Again, Kevin's production is noticed on here when it starts all ethereal. Then it cuts to a standard Dua song and I'm like "OH COME ON!" The chorus brings it back to Kevin's legendary ethereal bliss for the most part, only shaked down some by Harle's keyboard. Obviously, the outro is beautiful. We didn't need the guy speaking though and the birds tweeting was a nice touch. It's a nice ending to this album.

Overall, it seems like Kevin was invited, was sent to a different part of the recording studio and then brought back for certain songs to add his own twist. I can't wait for the 24-bit instrumentals to be cooked and served as chicken because I will be listening and enjoying. 

Rating: 7.5/10 

TL;DR: Yeah, so that's not what I expected

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bad guy said:

Listened to this thinking there'd be a bunch of Houdini's but I guess that was the only song she told Kevin Parker to add personality too :rip:

Bland as hell and half-baked. If you told me this was a Mabel or Anne-Marie album I'd believe you. She should have went all in with Houdini's sound instead of whatever H&M changing room music this was.

OMG I'm screaming, not H&M changing room. :deadvision:

Omg this puta... Training Season literally had the music video that These Walls should've had... with her just sitting reminiscing about her relationship while **** happens all around her on the walls. :shakeno:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wehavetostan said:

I feel like anyone could the sing the lyrics on Radical Optimism

I'm singing them right now. :gayalipacat3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This isn't as strong as FN but still a solid album. There's just not as many instant distinctive HITS like her previous had. But I still see myself enjoying it all summer 

The "how longgggg longgggg" part in Falling Forever sounds like that background track that was used in a lot of reels. I forgot what it was 

The saving grace of this album is in its latter half. I was really preparing to write a damning review until I got to Falling forever. Before that, the only tracks that stood out were the first 2 singles, and that's probably because I was already cognisant of their melodies.

Loved the drums on Falling forever

Anything for you is sizzling but end before it really gets going

Maria reminds me of Future nostalgia tracks, not necessarily a sign of progress, but at least it means it's single material. 

She talked up Happy for you in the Zane interview. Hated it as soon as it started. Very by the numbers for Dua. Thought it would be something gut-wrenching to really earn its place as an album closer. The production is overpowers the emotion and leaves no lasting impression. 

Overall, I'm sad to say this album is a regression. I still think Dua's best effort is her debut. She really could've carved a niche for herself in the edgy dark pop lane. She has that smoky voice for it. I get it, Warner invested in her to become the global household name with FN era. The problem is when you listen to interviews, she tries to come across as some deep intellectual artist yet her songs revolve around the beaten and battered topic of dating. For that all her lyrics ring trite to the ears. She's bringing nothing new to the topic. She doesn't have the rich lore of Taylor to have anyone analysing to draw connections between the music and her experiences. The love interests are lyrically anonymous, they could be anyone or no one. When Katy swerved for shameless pop for Teenage dream, she leaned fully into the campiness of it all. 

With Dua, my persisting impression is the dissonance between the music and the persona she portrays. I enjoy her more as a podcaster than a musician these days. 

My score: 6.5/10

• Like 4

Literally how is she going to perform Falling Forever  live? lol :flame::jonny5:

• Like 1

these walls should've been the second single 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ChrisTheLoner said:

Mine arrives the 7th so excited to hold it in my hands :wanda:

I shall be getting mine either the 6th or the 7th :wanda:

• Like 1

MARIAH is hitting.

This is a walking album. Get out of bed haters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

sometimes I feel like yall say it sounds the same as FN just because she uses live instruments in both :lmao:

53 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Wait, the beginning of María...

I hear your heartbeat to the beat of the drums...oh, what a shame. :ghostface:

The way I was singing this exact line when I heard the beginning of Maria.

Aside from the three singles, the other songs doing it for me on my initial listen were Whatcha Doing, Maria, and Happy For You. Idk what y'all are hearing on the other tracks that made them love at first listen (especially Falling Forever and French Exit) but maybe they'll grow on me after a few listens.

Also, Anything For Love is too damn short. When I began to vibe to the song, it ended :rip:

• Like 1

Why does it sound like FN leftovers? :deadbanana4:

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

French Exit, Falling Forever, End of an Era, and These Walls are POP PERFECTION :flame:

• Thanks 2

Maria is so good woooahhh...

my fav non-single

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.