Paul Alexander also known as Iron Lung Man has passed away at 78

GraceRandolph

He spent his whole life inside the iron lung. He had come home from playing outdoors when he felt feverish and had a headache. Within days he had been rushed to hospital and doctors operated to clear mucus from his lungs.

He woke up in the mechanical iron lung - and spent most of his life inside it.

An update posted on his GoFundme page revealed he died on Monday aged 78. 
It reads: "Paul Alexander, “The Man in the Iron Lung”, passed away yesterday.

“After surviving polio as a child, he lived over 70 years inside of an iron lung.

“"In this time Paul went to college, became a lawyer, and a published author.

"His story traveled wide and far, positively influencing people around the world.

"Paul was an incredible role model that will continue to be remembered.

"Paul, you will be missed but always remembered."

Despite his physical constraints, Paul became a published author, lawyer and avid traveller, remembered worldwide for his smile and inspirational attitude to life. 

He became a trial lawyer and represented clients in court in a suit and modified wheelchair that held his body upright. 

He wrote a memoir that took him five years to complete, each word written with a pen attached to a stick in his mouth.

More modern ventilators had been created during the course of his life but Paul decided to stay in the iron lung because he was used to it.

Polio is a deadly virus that attacks the spinal cord, leaving some survivors paralysed.

A vaccine was developed in 1955, largely wiping out the virus. The disease remains endemic in just four countries today: Nigeria, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Many people who survived the virus were only able to breathe via an iron lung.  A 7ft metal case that use a vacuum to push air in and out of their own lungs.

Paul’s brother Philip said: “I am so gratitude to everybody who donated to my brother’s fundraiser. 

“It allowed him to live his last few years stress-free. It will also pay for his funeral during this difficult time. 

“It is absolutely incredible to read all the comments and know that so many people were inspired by Paul. I am just so grateful.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

RIP

He made the most of his life despite this cruel condition and that is so admirable. 

• Like 4

I watched a documentary on him before. RIP

Really makes you think about the small things we complain about and let ruin our lives.

• Like 3

this makes me so grateful to have an able body. it's amazing how much he accomplished, rip

• Like 1

four countries

Nigeria, Pakistan and Afghanistan

:rip:

also :rip: to him

i just watched a documentary about him a couple days ago. despite everything he lived a full life. his attitude was very admirable.

rip :frown:

• Like 1

Idk why people on facebook are making fun of him?

RIP :heart2:

3 hours ago, makeme said:

I watched a documentary on him before. RIP

Really makes you think about the small things we complain about and let ruin our lives.

59 minutes ago, velocity said:

i just watched a documentary about him a couple days ago. despite everything he lived a full life. his attitude was very admirable.

rip :frown:

what's the title of this doc? would love to watch

he was so inspirational. may he rest in peace.

28 minutes ago, fa77ot said:

RIP :heart2:

what's the title of this doc? would love to watch

i can't remember which one i watched but theres a bunch of them on yt, i def recommend :heart2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.