Is this video about depression true? And do you have any of the signs?

duybeeGAshantiGA

I've just come across this video on Youtube and realised that I have all the signs/symptoms. I also read the Youtube comments and also can relate to many others there. 

If you have time you can watch the Youtube and read the comments...

I wonder if anyone here can relate to what I am going throuhh right now.

I feel like half of my soul is gone. I don't feel things that much anymore. Everything in my life now feels so half-assed and empty. It's like I want to feel like a kid again. 

I actually don't feel like doing anything but I know I am not lazy and I am feeling very guilty about it because ... everyone around me is thriving.. but I can't...

Yes, however, to be clinically depressed it would depend on how many of those symptoms and how long you've been having those symptoms for, along with how much it all is impacting your day-to-day life and ability to get the things you need to do done.

Being majorly depressed can zap both your motivation and energy to keep you from wanting or being able to do any of that, thus impacting your living situation and life. It can obviously create a vicious cycle, which is why it's important you should definitely seek other resources on this and reach out to someone if you believe this fits you!

Trying to get enough exercise or at least some walk in a few days every week, not working myself too hard, taking time for myself when needed, and reaching out or getting a counselor when I could to help with my issues and emotions have all been important techniques I've used to manage my own depression. It's definitely an ongoing struggle though, and my anxiety very much gets the best of me a lot of the time!

Edited by dawnettakins
  • Like 2

Hope you feel better soon :chick3: :heart:

• Like 1

But I'd say mine is chronic. Also is advisable to see a psychiatrist or a psychologist? Last time i went to a psychologist didn't work out so well because they mostly just do counseling and don't give medication/diagnosis. 

21 minutes ago, dawnettakins said:

Yes, however, to be clinically depressed it would depend on how many of those symptoms and how long you've been having those symptoms for, along with how much it all is impacting your day-to-day life and ability to get the things you need to do done.

Being majorly depressed can zap both your motivation and energy to keep you from wanting or being able to do any of that, thus impacting your living situation and life. It can obviously create a vicious cycle, which is why it's important you should definitely seek other resources on this and reach out to someone if you believe this fits you!

Trying to get enough exercise or at least some walk in a few days every week, not working myself too hard, taking time for myself when needed, and reaching out or getting a counselor when I could to help with my issues and emotions have all been important techniques I've used to manage my own depression. It's definitely an ongoing struggle though, and my anxiety very much gets the best of me a lot of the time!

Thank you for this response! 

I will reply in points so it's easier.

● I have all of the signs/symptoms in the video. It's just that I am not sure if those are all correct symptoms. My life has been very... well lazy in a way. I am 31 and I have lived for quite a while and have worked and gained experience enough for me to have this weird job right now. Fortunately this job requires exactly what I am capable of (expertise + experience + education) so this job is very easy to me right now. I only need to work (remotely in front of my laptop) for 10-12 hours a week and it's an easy job for me. I don't stress out like at all with this job. Also the salary is as high or even highet than a usual full time (9-5) jobs. However, because of that, I feel very demotivated to grow and challenge myself as a person. I don't feel like I need to improve or develop to get better anymore. And that's where the guilt comes from. I feel like depression has a role in this. I want to get better and have even more success but instead life gives me this easy job to have quite enough money to live an easy life.

● I do feel I am in a vicious cycle of hell right now. Everyday feels the same and feels so quick. It's like I am wasting my time to be unhappy àn I am getting older and older everyday. I hate this feeling. I want to be youthful, energenic, going out there and live life but I can't for some reason. I even don't want to clean/tidy my house, make my bed, change the bed drap or anything...

● In my country, Vietnam, they do not care about mental health like at all. So it's hard to seek professional help. Even if there's someone, you are not sure if they're qualified because it's just bullshit here.

● To respond to your last point, I do exercise a lot and I kinda get the dopamine pills from it. Sometimes it's a bit overkill since I am in the gym a bit too much (sometimes 4-6 hours a day). I am obsessed with being in good shapr and 6 packs. I do have them but do they really bring my happiness. They just bring me more wild sex and infidelity with me being a quite popular X user.

Yeah… most/all of them. Especially right now that I think I’m going through an episode. My old therapist described it as dysthymic periods which is associated to persistent depressive disorder. At this point in my life depression is a constant for me in a chronic manner and it’s been like that for years. It just ebbs and flows 

22 minutes ago, KingWitch said:

But I'd say mine is chronic. Also is advisable to see a psychiatrist or a psychologist? Last time i went to a psychologist didn't work out so well because they mostly just do counseling and don't give medication/diagnosis. 

But similar to the person I just quoted, I had a hard time finding the right counselor and my last one was pretty behind with the times so she would be incredibly against medicating me, instead pushing “alternative medicine” on me that didn’t work for squat. 

One curious thing though is that the video mentions feeling “uninspired” as a symptom. I feel more inspired when going through an episode which is ironic because my motivation to do anything about it is just nonexistent. 

OT. But the lady in the video speaks like Gracie from May December omg

EDIT Also I’d like to add a big symptom for me that the video doesn’t mention (and I’ve heard it can be quite common) is heightened anxiety and I’m a very socially anxious person as it is. :dancehall:

Edited by NoOneDiesFromLove

I've seen this dd. There was a phase where I used to watch these videos 

I've been clinically depressed for a long, long time. Currently pursuing therapy and medication but I think it's futile. I think I know where it ends, it's just a matter of when for me. 

But this doesn't have to apply to you at all. My suggestion would be to try everything you can to tackle it, even if it feels silly. 

4 hours ago, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

Thank you for this response! 

I will reply in points so it's easier.

● I have all of the signs/symptoms in the video. It's just that I am not sure if those are all correct symptoms. My life has been very... well lazy in a way. I am 31 and I have lived for quite a while and have worked and gained experience enough for me to have this weird job right now. Fortunately this job requires exactly what I am capable of (expertise + experience + education) so this job is very easy to me right now. I only need to work (remotely in front of my laptop) for 10-12 hours a week and it's an easy job for me. I don't stress out like at all with this job. Also the salary is as high or even highet than a usual full time (9-5) jobs. However, because of that, I feel very demotivated to grow and challenge myself as a person. I don't feel like I need to improve or develop to get better anymore. And that's where the guilt comes from. I feel like depression has a role in this. I want to get better and have even more success but instead life gives me this easy job to have quite enough money to live an easy life.

● I do feel I am in a vicious cycle of hell right now. Everyday feels the same and feels so quick. It's like I am wasting my time to be unhappy àn I am getting older and older everyday. I hate this feeling. I want to be youthful, energenic, going out there and live life but I can't for some reason. I even don't want to clean/tidy my house, make my bed, change the bed drap or anything...

● In my country, Vietnam, they do not care about mental health like at all. So it's hard to seek professional help. Even if there's someone, you are not sure if they're qualified because it's just bullshit here.

● To respond to your last point, I do exercise a lot and I kinda get the dopamine pills from it. Sometimes it's a bit overkill since I am in the gym a bit too much (sometimes 4-6 hours a day). I am obsessed with being in good shapr and 6 packs. I do have them but do they really bring my happiness. They just bring me more wild sex and infidelity with me being a quite popular X user.

Hmmm when you put it in those terms, it looks like you are seeking for some purpose to your life, since your job seems to be relatively easy and it doesn't bring you much motivation. 

Maybe you could try something new. An activity that inspires you and keeps you motivated. Meeting new people seems also like a good idea as well. 

Spice up your life :coffee:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.