Your car might be secretly recording every drive sending data to insurance

Magic_boXX

Your driving habits aren't as private as you think they are, according to a recent report from The New York Times.

Internet-connected vehicles can gather data on driving habits, including hard braking and rapid accelerations, and share that information with the data broker LexisNexis, which works with insurance companies to create personalized coverage.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cars-recording-data-onstar-gm-lexisnexis-insurance-rates-increase-report-2024-3

Wow, that is ridiculous. Isn't that against privacy laws?

torturedpoet

Is this only a US thing? I can’t imagine this being allowed in EU or even less in specific countries like Germany and Austria which are extremely private. 

Edited by torturedpoet

Hot

Don't people voluntarily put black boxes in their cars to pay less insurance? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Magic_boXX said:

i don’t think so, or atleast its not enforced if it is. doesn’t teslas auto insurance base your monthly rate based off if you speed & drive after a certain time 

glad to drive a clunker from 2008 still :suburban:

My insurance company has a tracking app that gives you a discount on your premiums.  I have no problem using it because I have nothing to hide and it saves me a ton of money. :michael:

Wow, fortunately gays don´t drive :gaycat1:

Another reason the US sucks. 

24 minutes ago, torturedpoet said:

Is this only a US thing? I can’t imagine this being allowed in EU or even less in specific countries like Germany and Austria which are extremely private. 

No and I think people are only now catching on that phones have been doing it for ages. I think Apple devices even give you a warning if they detect that you are in a vehicle, moving fast. Google can track all wifi networks within your radius and all the traffic jam info in maps is based on how many phones are on a particular street.

It's possible there are more restrictions to who this data can be sold to in the EU but I have a hard time believing it isn't being passed around, cause usually paying a one time fine, as big as it is, is cheaper than what they earn from it.

Edited by Illuminati

That's why I don't signup for those programs from insurance companies (even if it might make premiums lower) and won't ever be getting Internet-connected for my car!

torturedpoet
8 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

No and I think people are only now catching on that phones have been doing it for ages. I think Apple devices even give you a warning if they detect that you are in a vehicle, moving fast. Google can track all wifi networks within your radius and all the traffic jam info in maps is based on how many phones are on a particular street.

CarPlay doesn’t do anything like that (they do call emergency services if they detect you were in a car crash). I don’t know about Google but they probably track and store way more data. 

I really don’t think this happens in EU as it would be a major breach of privacy laws (especially because the company selling data to insurances is not even based in EU). I mean Google couldn’t even implement Street View in Germany and when they finally got permission a lot of citizens asked them to delete their houses and Google had to comply. 

1 minute ago, torturedpoet said:

CarPlay doesn’t do anything like that (they do call emergency services if they detect you were in a car crash). I don’t know about Google but they probably track and store way more data. 

I really don’t think this happens in EU as it would be a major breach of privacy laws (especially because the company selling data to insurances is not even based in EU). I mean Google couldn’t even implement Street View in Germany and when they finally got permission a lot of citizens asked them to delete their houses and Google had to comply. 

I would hope so but Germany is kinda an exception within the EU in terms of the street view blocking. Not to mention Google didn't wait for a permission before they started mapping everyone's home WIFI networks and other available stuff on their streetview cars :dies:

that's great actually, people save money and companies have a better understanding of driving habits and data

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.