TikTok working on Instagram competitor

mercurialworld

From: https://9to5google.com/2024/03/11/tiktok-photos-leak/

Amid a potential ban in the US, TikTok appears to be working on a new app, “TikTok Photos,” which would be about sharing photos instead of short-form videos.

TikTok has built its massively popular social media platform on top of short-form videos, a trend that’s since extended to YouTube, Instagram, and other popular apps. Now, though, TikTok appears to be going after Instagram’s original mainstay, pictures.

Code in the latest TikTok app for Android spotted by TheSpandroid reveals work on “TikTok Photos.”

Strings describe the app saying that it will help users to “reach other like-minded people who enjoy photo posts.” An option in the main TikTok app would also allow users to sync photo posts between the regular TikTok app and their profile there with their profile on the new app.

tiktok-photos-icons-leak.jpg

So, ATRLsties, will we be ditching Instagram, or not?

No thank you

no one will be using just like the music app they released :rip:

Instagram is basically over now anyways 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

what we need is musical.ly to make a comeback 

• Like 1

Cameltoe Chariot

I think we’ve seen enough attempts to realize that no app can “replace” another. Look at threads! :biblio:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Instagram has the novelty of me being able to check in on people from high school and middle school that I added years ago and never interacted with since. I'm never gonna abandon it for another app. :sorry:

8 minutes ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

I think we’ve seen enough attempts to realize that no app can “replace” another. Look at threads! :biblio:

Threads is very successful and is growing exponentially, IG stories outpaced Snapchat years ago, and IG Reels usage is through the roof.  If anything, it shows that TikTok doesn’t understand social media aside from short form video and is also failing to make money from the app.   

• Like 2

Cameltoe Chariot
3 minutes ago, Archetype said:

Threads is very successful and is growing exponentially, IG stories outpaced Snapchat years ago, and IG Reels usage is through the roof.  If anything, it shows that TikTok doesn’t understand social media aside from short form video and is also failing to make money from the app.   

Really?? I had no idea I thought threads was a ghost town, I haven’t logged in since last year :suburban:

IG is honestly dead these days at least compared to what it used to be. Soooo many people are no longer active on it and timeline is 90% ads. TikTok feels like the only relevant social media app nowadays so not surprised they're capitalizing on it. Also, rn the trend of people posting pics in slides on their TikTok videos is kinda annoying so I feel like they might as well go full IG mode since IG is on its way out.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, brraap said:

idk why people are confused by what u said... ATRL skews older but if u talk to young people they're not on IG (or even Twitter)... it's all about TikTok... for now but who knows how long that will even last, social media has been around so long the novelty is long gone... even Adam admitted that the app is no where near what it used to be:

Social Media Is Dead:

Even Adam Mosseri, the head of Instagram, admitted that users have moved on to direct messages, closed communities, and group chats. Regularly posting content is now largely confined to content creators and influencers, while non-creators are moving toward sharing bits of their lives behind private accounts.
https://www.businessinsider.com/social-media-dead-instagram-tiktok-bereal-replaced-group-chats-messaging-2023-8

Edited by imabadkid
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

Really?? I had no idea I thought threads was a ghost town, I haven’t logged in since last year :suburban:

Yeees, it has much more active followers than ever and is super active.  You just need to follow some people to get better recommendations, but the conversation is v quality.  I haven’t seen stan accounts or artist fan accounts as active, but I never used twitter for that anyway 

Edited by Archetype
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

Stories replaced Snapchat.

Maybe Facebook replaced Orkut? Maybe TikTok replaced Vine? 

46 minutes ago, imabadkid said:

the app is no where near what it used to be:

This. The novelty is gone, I haven't posted on Instagram (or FB) in almost five years. There is nothing I want to share with hundreds/thousands of people at once. I only keep those accounts active for private messages.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Comedor said:

Stories replaced Snapchat.

Maybe Facebook replaced Orkut? Maybe TikTok replaced Vine? 

Facebook killed Myspace.

Reels are eating into Tik Toks marketshare.

and with some more work on Threads they're going to figure out to kill Twitter.

Edited by NEUTRON
  • Like 1

there’s been pictures on tiktok for a while tho? and it’s been used a lot. there’s even been a test feature last year of a picture page and it was great!! they removed it recently tho. i dont think this mean anything other than they’ll push the picture / slideshow more than before just like they’ve been doing in china i think

also how are reels eating tiktok when majority of the reels are reposts from tiktok? 😭

i also forgot to mention that the majority of popular pages on instagram are straight up stealing pictures from tiktok slideshows and it’s so obvious because of the font used :rip:

Edited by Windy Day
  • Like 1

Lowkey here for it. I can see it do amazing if they added features that make it more fun to share online. Instagram is starting to become huge again with Reels but it’s missing that

IT Factor that TikTok has when it comes to sharing videos and the simplicity of it all. If they have way less restrictions with it I can see it do great. 

My only gripe with TikTok is the censorship, when you start creating content they suppress certain videos from going to the FYP because of certain “words” you use that are usually never bad :rip:. I’m sure it’s a bot or some type of AI thing that does this but it’s honestly one of the most annoying things as a creator to work around. Limits a lot of POCs, LGBTQ creators, and simply creators that just want to be creative and more self-expressive.

So yeah, as long as TikTok introduces something new and makes sharing photos fun again and defines social media (like they’ve already done). And drastically change the rules of its guidelines. I can see it do AMAZING.

Edited by cuteboyzay

3 hours ago, NEUTRON said:

Facebook killed Myspace.

Reels are eating into Tik Toks marketshare.

and with some more work on Threads they're going to figure out to kill Twitter.

Instagram has way less censorship as compared to TikTok which is I feel one of reasons why Instagram Reels is starting to do so well. But it was only as of recent TikTok became so strict with content creation. That’s one of the huge reasons why Reels is growing faster than ever imo.

5 hours ago, brraap said:

have y'all been to the IG comments section lately? it's like SYG over there. i kinda love it :rip:

• Haha 1

not Tik Tok Photos, sounds ugly.

should've gone with tikpik

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.