UK earns second place for the most miserable country in the world

Horizon Flame

The UK has landed in second place for the most miserable country in the world.

With house prices skyrocketing and the cost-of-living crisis still in full swing, it's no wonder why Britain probably isn't one of the most desirable places to be at the minute.

Data was collected via the Mental Health Quotient (MHQ) assessment, with scores ranging from -100 to 200.

Scores under zero represent 'distressed or struggling', between zero and 50 meant 'enduring' while between 50 and 100 meant 'managing' and scores between 100 and 200 meant 'succeeding or thriving'.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-news/uk-most-miserable-country-world-cost-of-living-crisis-010058-20240308

it’s true

can we start a gofundme to get me out of here

• Like 3

Brexit really did something huh? :ryan3:

• Like 5

That country has made transphobia its national policy instead of addressing those issues, not surprised

giphy.gif

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

So you're telling me that the UK is more miserable than Ukraine? :deadbanana2:

The UK needs rent control. Landlords should not be able to increase your rent more than 2-3% and it should be very hard to evict someone. You can't have quality of life if the threat of destitution looms every time your lease is up.

It's time to leave the feudal middle ages.

Edited by MatiRod
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MatiRod said:

The UK needs rent control. Landlords should not be able to increase your rent more than 2-3% and it should be very hard to evict someone. You can't have quality of life if the threat of destitution looms every time your lease is up.

if this rent control takes rents back down then i welcome it, but if not we’re already too far gone

i have an extension installed on chrome for rightmove which shows you how a property’s rent prices have changed in the years that it’s been re-listed and everywhere im seeing is like a 40% increase in the past 3 years, its insane :deadbanana:

its disheartening seeing the crappiest most depressing looking mid-terrace houses up for £1,200pcm rent (and that’s in the North! London is a whole other ball game..)

One of the companies i work at is an estate agency and i learned that you have to earn 2.5x - 3x the rent in order to even be looked at. what single young person in the UK is earning £3,600 per month!? 

i have friends who are 25 and have had to move into Houses of Multiple Occupation (renting a single room in a house) because it’s all they can afford even tho they work full-time above minimum wage. and even those are like £650pcm! its so crazy here

Edited by May
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Things aren't great here, but I think if anything this just shows British people love to complain more than anyone else. How the hell are we lower than countries involved in active wars :rip:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, MatiRod said:

Yeah. I've seen some people argue that this will force landlords to sell their properties but I don't see why that's a bad thing. It might decrease the rental market sure, but it will make more houses available to buy.

Also we need more council housing. Margaret Thatcher really screwed everyone over by selling a bunch of it off in the 80s

lets get to #1 next year

• Haha 3

after that Gothy performance i am not surprised 

• Haha 8

Don't worry, Britons. Gas and housing prices will get so much better once you've gotten rid of those pesky transwomen. :priceless:

The really shocking thing is that Brazil also made the top 5. What gives? People there seem so happy and they have a lot of sunshine. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, PillowCase said:

The really shocking thing is that Brazil also made the top 5. What gives? People there seem so happy and they have a lot of sunshine. 

Brazil has struggled with very high poverty rates in recent history, though it is noticeably getting better according to certain studies: https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/internacional/en/business/2023/12/poverty-decreases-in-brazil-in-2022-and-affects-316-of-the-population.shtml

It’s kinda hard to complain about things when other countries are going through wars and disasters

• Like 1

Maybe another Royal wedding might fix it 

:ryan3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Please give Pastoral by Gazelle Twin a listen while reading the article:

a3699481105_65

How the f is Romania not on that list. I hate it here.

• Like 1

Lol and these same British people complain about the US and Americans all the time.

• Like 1

i'm not surprised considering we were hit with brexit, cost of living crisis, housing crisis and it still doesn't look to be improving anytime soon..

How did the UK rank higher than countries like Ukraine Venezuela and Belarus :deadbanana4:

4 hours ago, glitch said:

Yeah. I've seen some people argue that this will force landlords to sell their properties but I don't see why that's a bad thing. It might decrease the rental market sure, but it will make more houses available to buy.

Also we need more council housing. Margaret Thatcher really screwed everyone over by selling a bunch of it off in the 80s

Unless you build more houses you will not increase supply, all you are doing is moving a number of renters into being owners, if landlords sell, which they would for sure if rent increases are restricted to less than inflation ( ie all their other costs like insurance and maintenance and electrical and gas certs etc)

What happens then to the rest of the renters?

Build, build, build, or you are just creating a different set of problems.

Edited by Vermouth

1 hour ago, JennyWayne said:

How did the UK rank higher than countries like Ukraine Venezuela and Belarus :deadbanana4:

Because the study is based on people from each country responding to the questions themselves and not on facts contributing to what actually makes a country miserable or not :rip:

unsurprising given how severely the quality of life has dropped drastically in recent years. one of the richest countries in the world and there’s more and more people bordering the poverty line and people choosing to skip meals to heat their houses or so their children can eat. a horrendous government trying to remove the right to protest and constantly attacking trans people instead of fixing the actual problems in our country. I hate it here too! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.