Malaysia Airlines Flight 370: 10 Years Later

mercurialworld

3QJWCFPNT6G6CRJZRV6ICRIX2Y.jpg

Malaysia Airlines Flight "MH370" was a scheduled international passenger flight that disappeared on March 8, 2014, while flying from Kuala Lumpur International Airport to Beijing Capital International Airport. The aircraft, a Boeing 777-200ER, lost contact with air traffic control less than an hour after takeoff, and what exactly happened that day has remained a mystery despite extensive search and investigation efforts. The disappearance of MH370 is considered one of the greatest aviation mysteries in history.

It has been 10 years since the tragic incident, and the families of the 239 passengers and crew aboard still seek closure and answers as to what happened to their loved ones. What started as a routine flight turned into a baffling mystery that has sparked countless theories and conspiracy theories.

Do you believe the truth behind MH370's disappearance will ever be revealed? How has this event changed the aviation industry and the way we all perceive air travel? Share your thoughts, and keep the discussion respectful.

Edited by mercurialworld

1 minute ago, Moloko Plus said:

I thought it was confirmed it went down into the ocean… they found debris no? Surprised it’s been 10 years already.

This is a good article covering it all: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/07/mh370-malaysia-airlines/590653/

Oh thank you! But although parts have been found, the main wreckage and the reason for its disappearance still remain unknown, which is what makes this case so baffling. And yeah, It really is hard to believe it has been 10 years since the incident :cries:

My 1 cent: it is insane how a commercial flight with advanced technology and communication systems can disappear without a trace. I think one day the truth behind MH370's disappearance will be revealed, but it may take another 10 years, who knows! Anyway, I fly quite a bit, and every time I'm in the air, I can't help but think about the possibilities of something happening. It definitely has changed the way I perceive air travel and serves as a reminder that anything can happen.

My heart goes out to the families and friends of those affected by this tragedy, and I hope they can find some closure eventually :heart:

• Like 3

BrandNewBrandon
6 minutes ago, mercurialworld said:

It definitely has changed the way I perceive air travel and serves as a reminder that anything can happen.

Did 9/11 not do that for you already? 

Just now, BrandNewBrandon said:

Did 9/11 not do that for you already? 

I've never flown a plane before 9/11. I don't have anything to compare it to

10 minutes ago, mercurialworld said:

Oh thank you! But although parts have been found, the main wreckage and the reason for its disappearance still remain unknown, which is what makes this case so baffling. And yeah, It really is hard to believe it has been 10 years since the incident :cries:

It’s apparently an open secret that the Malaysian government knows a lot more about the case but has refused to share why for whatever reason. I believe the article I linked touches on it, you can get past the paywall if you put the article link into archive.ph

It is so insane to think about. Gives me major anxiety flying over oceans.

Edited by Moloko Plus
  • Like 1

BrandNewBrandon
1 minute ago, mercurialworld said:

I've never flown a plane before 9/11. I don't have anything to compare it to

No but you still flew planes while knowing of 9/11. You probably knew about it before the Malaysian Airlines tragedy. That's why I'm asking. It doesn't matter if you ever sailed the sea before Titanic lol. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

No but you still flew planes while knowing of 9/11. You probably knew about it before the Malaysian Airlines tragedy. That's why I'm asking. It doesn't matter if you ever sailed the sea before Titanic lol. 

That's a fair point. However, I wasn't even conscious when 9/11 happened and I didn't start flying until a few years after, therefore I never really experienced the difference of heightened security measures/fear that came with it. So seeing a modern plane like the Boeing 777, which is supposed to be one of the safest aircrafts, disappear more than a decade later definitely struck a chord with me. But yes, 9/11 was a huge tragedy and did change air travel for many people. It's just that MH370 happened during a time where I saw/felt the impact more personally which is my question :)

Edited by mercurialworld
  • Like 1

Deliberate murder-suicide by the pilot.

The plane was shut off from all communication. And it was diverted to a new path that the pilot simulated a month before.

• Thanks 1

I’m too sleepy to dive into this rn but they already found debris along east africa with serial numbers matching Boeing Records + it ended up in the southern indian ocean (verified by satellite data) which also explains the trajectory the debris took over time.

it didn’t disappear, it crashed (most likely on purpose by the pilot)

Edited by airplane

This is a bit misleading. Technically, they know or they have a good idea where the plane crashed. However, the Indian Ocean is so deep and pretty much rough to navigate that continuing the research for the plane was too expensive and too risky, even. 

The Indian Ocean’s average depth is 12,274 feet (3,741 metres), and its deepest point, in the Sunda Deep of the Java Trench off the southern coast of the island of Java (Indonesia), is 24,442 feet (7,450 metres).

Titanic is 3,800 meters underwater. So, basically the plane is at the bottom of one of the deepest places in the world. Chances are it was reduced to almost nothing while diving down the ocean. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jadeabove said:

This is a bit misleading. Technically, they know or they have a good idea where the plane crashed. However, the Indian Ocean is so deep and pretty much rough to navigate that continuing the research for the plane was too expensive and too risky, even. 

Titanic is 3,800 meters underwater. So, basically the plane is at the bottom of one of the deepest places in the world. Chances are it was reduced to almost nothing while diving down the ocean. 

Thank you for the info! I just wanted to relay that there isn't a 100% specific consensus as to what happened that day. There's countless theories, some more probable than others, but the fact that families of loved ones don't have closure yet makes it mysterious as hell and worth describing it as such.

Edited by mercurialworld

47 minutes ago, mercurialworld said:

That's a fair point. However, I wasn't even conscious when 9/11 happened and I didn't start flying until a few years after, therefore I never really experienced the difference of heightened security measures/fear that came with it. So seeing a modern plane like the Boeing 777, which is supposed to be one of the safest aircrafts, disappear more than a decade later definitely struck a chord with me. But yes, 9/11 was a huge tragedy and did change air travel for many people. It's just that MH370 happened during a time where I saw/felt the impact more personally which is my question :)

This is exactly me back then, I was flying a lot during that time period and also... I flew Malaysian Airlines a lot along with Singapore and Vietnam Airlines so yeah. I remember after that incident, tickets for Malaysian airlines dipped a lot and not many wanted to fly it for a good few years :rip: I also avoided Malaysian Airlines for like 5 years after the incident. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Revolution said:

Deliberate murder-suicide by the pilot.

The plane was shut off from all communication. And it was diverted to a new path that the pilot simulated a month before.

:rip: 

Yeah we basically know what happened with this :skull:

I heard it was taken down by a nearby USA military base. 

• Thanks 1

Deep State stuff, right?

They live on some island, typing  a sequence into a computer every 108 minutes and pushing the button to keep the world safe. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Now this was a cultural reset. People were talking about it for weeks and it still made headlines months later, people were scared to fly

I think the pilot definitely did it but I wish we had some hard evidence 

It's 2024. We should have some system to save airplanes before they crash. Why hasn't it been invented? :giraffe:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.