• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Suilen

• AMIT

• Curaga

• Kyle-x

Top Posters In This Topic

Will probably drop this novel of an entry in several hours and give the people some time to peruse it and then the rest late in the evening. 

Call me the image you used for Between Tomorrow and Today because I am WHAT? Sat!

sheena-ringo_1383294415_af_org.png

• Haha 3

This one is for @AMIT

A Life Supreme / 至上の人生

jinsei.png

Score: 6,53 Album: Sandokushi

Big Sheensters: confide in me (8,5)

Little NishiNOsters: AMIT (0)

The first taste of Sandokushi, though nobody could've known that at the time. AMIT seems to be very passionate about the song, so I'll use his commentary as a basis for the first part of the write-up and then add some personal anecdotes related to the song.

He says: "her worst song ever?” Well, it's nice to be probably the only person who thinks so. The biggest fan continues: "you rip off a radiohead song of all things and this is what you come up with?” Well, first of all, who cares if she ripped off some men? Queen can do whatever she wants. Then, for those of us who don't listen to men, what song is that? Creep aka the only relevant one? Lana ripped that one off two and is thriving, so Thom Yorke can stay pressed. And miss Sheena ended that band anyway, both solo and with Tokyo Jihen. But we move on: "we did not want or need this kind of dreary mess shiina and the AUDACITY to add this garbage (and the equally awful b-side) to an already DOA ''album'' like Sandokushit over 4 years after this single's release :deadbanana:” Who's we? But fine, I'll stop because I smell a dislike coming. I agree that the song was a poor fit for Sandokushi (and that's an achievement by itself) and should've stayed a one-off.

When I first heard the song, I didn't find it particularly remarkable and preferred the double single released in the same year. Its inclusion on Sandokushi didn't help either as everything there kind of slurred into one song, and not a very good one at that. When I revisited the song for the rate, I could hear sumn (AMIT will kill me for that, but then who's going to continue the rate?), and I appreciate the novelty, though it's definitely far from her best. The lyrics are also giving 'live, love, laugh,’ so yeah, can't relate. Now, an anecdote. So, I was watching this dorama, which wasn't very good and embodied all the reasons k-dramas washed the Japanese ones: repetitive, monotonous, bland, unsure of what message it wants to convey. The main character (played by Ko Shibasaki, who is an occasional singer and who will be mentioned later) seemed to be on the spectrum to me, but of course a piece of Japanese media wasn't going to address it, so they just turned her behaviour into a 'mystery,’ and wanted you to expect something bizarre from her. Anyway, I got bored and dropped it and haven't really watched a dorama since then, although I probably should as I really enjoyed some of them. While preparing for the rate, I stumbled upon a list of Sheena's tie-ins and, what do you know, it turned out that A Life Supreme was that dorama's theme song, and I didn't even notice that. Welp. Oh, and apparently the song was inspired by the main actress, but I hope that AMIT will still give her music a chance.

Sorry for being verbose, but there's another thing I want to mention. In 2015, when A Life Supreme was released, Sheena also penned a song for aforementioned Ko Shibasaki. Sound-wise, the song is very Sheena, so it made sense for her to self-cover it for Reimport 2 (check out 野性の同盟 from there) and, and it doesn't really sound like A Life Supreme (to some people's relief), but look at this cover:

81UkCj1QoGL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Seems very reminiscent of the one for A Life Supreme, though it's more of an androgynous look than a lesbian one that Sheena served. Maybe they simply went to the same stylist and photographer, maybe they decided to go 'twinning'. Just felt like sharing it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

AHHHHH

I'm sorry y'all but I really HATE this UGLY ******* song! GOOD RIDDANCE!

hqzgICL.gif

Well, it's nice to be probably the only person who thinks so. The biggest fan continues:

Well, first of all, who cares if she ripped off some men? Queen can do whatever she wants.

Who's we? But fine, I'll stop because I smell a dislike coming.

Screaming :rip: The way your responses in the first paragraph read like AMIT was stealing an 11 from you sdhsiohdsohdoisd also not the lyrics giving live laugh love. Guess my 6.5 was warranted enough for this.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Screaming :rip: The way your responses in the first paragraph read like AMIT was stealing an 11 from you sdhsiohdsohdoisd also not the lyrics giving live laugh love. Guess my 6.5 was warranted enough for this.

Oh, he and another Brazilian did steal something from me alright, so when the time comes, the drags for them and their homeland will be ruthless.

• Haha 3

wait never noticed the Radiohead plagiarism :deadbanana2:

cute song though, @AMIT you're doing the most, I fear

TXaWN5v.thumb.gif.fae143e9123ac3febbdd33

Edited by Antisocialites

19 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Oh, he and another Brazilian did steal something from me alright, so when the time comes, the drags for them and their homeland will be ruthless.

13 minutes ago, Antisocialites said:

wait never noticed the Radiohead plagiarism :deadbanana2:

cute song though, @AMIT you're doing the most, I fear

TXaWN5v.thumb.gif.fae143e9123ac3febbdd33

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Alright, the rest will be in ~8 hours as originally planned, and AMIT had to cancel his dick appointments for that, so I have to respect it. And I hope that people won't mind me using a visual from a completely unrelated video for one of the upcoming singles as the sis decided not to appear in the video herself (hint hint).

• Confused 1

Wow. Seems like the little Ringos were really going through it during the Sandokushi era... and the Sunny era... Hell, the entire decade, really.

• Like 1

Not me forgetting this was a Sandokushi single :deadbanana2: #FakeFan

Sandokushi is one of those albums where the highs are extremely high for me, but then I kind of ignore the songs in between nnn. She definitely has more consistent albums.  I like A Life Supreme well enough, but I'm relieved it was this song and not [REDACTED] 

7dc5fab21ba6112b8a369800a6b8d70c811e4801.gif

• Like 1

Wow, the ratings are coming, maybe I should drop another one.

7dc5fab21ba6112b8a369800a6b8d70c811e4801.gif

Ok where's my reward for reading all that...?

5b00041d633e1e5ab80f57b65bdb0e602d26f767.gif

jk, thank you for keeping us fed with all this material! :clap3:

• Haha 1

The Adult Code / おとなの掟

otono-no-okite.png

Score: 6,56 Album: Gyakuyunyuu ~Koukuukyoku~ (Reimport vol. 2)

Big Sheensters: mathekr, AMIT, confide in me (9)

Little NishiNOsters: Curaga (2)

A self-cover of a song Sheena made for dorama Quartet, where the main characters form a fictional string quarter named Doughnuts Hole (I smell a sexual innuendo here, and with Sheena involved that's more than likely). As it was the case with 'Saihate ga Mitai', the single version is in Japanese, and the album version is in English. I think I prefer the latter, it feels more… lively? And there's a random woman on the single version, like, that's better than a man, but who are you, sis? I know almost every woman who's sung in Japanese since 1960s, and I don't know her. At this point, I'd even take aiko over her. Anyway, speaking of the gorgeous album version, where's that English album? She'd end Utada with ease, don't @ me.

mathekr disagrees with my assessment: "Such an improvement from the album version.” Curaga is brief in his dislike of the song: "No 🥰.” AMIT praises the song and shades Sandokushi in the process, I think: "actually a really great track. kinda stomped on every single collab on a certain ''album'' of hers! wonder why!”

• Like 3

Just now, Suilen said:

Big Sheensters: mathekr, AMIT, confide in me (9)

Little NishiNOsters: Curaga (2)

4x.gif

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Wait, I'm kind of living for this English version actually...

• Like 1

Okay, one more for now, but the rest will be later as the visuals aren't ready.

Yattsuke Shigoto -Rush Job- (Live) / やっつけ仕事 – Live

shigoto.png

Score: 6,63 Album: Ze-Chyou Syuu / Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana

Big Sheensters: AMIT (10)

Little NishiNOsters: fauxtography (0)

A live version of a song that would later make its appearance on KSK that we definitely didn't tack on the rate to give the album more representation (it was actually released as a single, OK?). Some people found its live rendition alluring, but to me, it was a bit distracting, and some points had to be deducted. Anyway, the song talks about overworking oneself to the point of forgetting what day it is, what time it is, whether you even like the job. The most relatable millionaire of them all.

Curaga makes it clear that he's rating the album version (I mean, I wish I could too): "A 9 for the album version despite the overlong intro!” Agree about the intro. AMIT is abusing the biggest fan privileges: "i love the album version more, but this one is great as well and switches up enough to stand on its own.” He also adds that she was 'on fire' during that period, oh my god, someone pour a bucket of water on her. Meloetta Carey thinks that the edginess of the live version is more appropriate for the lyrical content: "i like the studio version more but i think the live version fits better with the translation i read online.” I can actually agree with that too. Subomie, on the other hand, doesn't appreciate the edgy Nina: "I get why ppl prefer this one, but the semen album version is supreme to me so it's a little... 'empty' feeling on this version, you know?” madonnas is fuming, too: "I love this song but why is the live version the single? Lol. It takes away all my fave parts.”

• Like 2

Well, the melodies are undeniable... but it's still a (kinda LQ) live recording.

• Like 1

madonnas spilling, the og version is great.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Subomie said:

Wait, I'm kind of living for this English version actually...

tumblr_nz3wiyYEhB1twogzfo1_500.gif

But no, I prefer the album version too lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Whoa, y'all really hated that live version :deadbanana2:

I thought Yattsuke Shigoto would be in the top 10!

31 minutes ago, Curaga said:

Ok where's my reward for reading all that...?

jk, thank you for keeping us fed with all this material! :clap3:

I'll reward you with your eleven lasting for a long time

Maybe...

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.