• Curaga

• Kyle-x

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

God, nor Buddha / 神様、仏様

kamisama.png

Score: 7,2 Album: Sandokushi

Big Sheensters: mathekr (10)

Little NishiNOsters: gingguu, Maresia (4)

Wow, tons of memories related to this song. It basically made me think, hmm, this woman is kinda cool, let me get into her properly (at that point I was mostly familiar with Tokyo Jihen, being an indieheau and stuff), though there was also some influence from the biggest fan, who had an avi from the video once. I was really mesmerized by the whole concept, by the traditional vibe that stands in contrast to the sister single 'No verão, as noites' with its modernity emphasized by autotune, which I hope was an intentional choice on her part, despite the jingle nature of both songs. I also adore the video, where she gave us both a witch and an aristocrat. I tried parsing the Japanese lyrics, but they were too vague and antiquated for me, so I swallowed my pride and found an English translation, which was also all over the place, but at least I could gather that she must be in some altered state of mind and begs both Shinto gods and Buddha (Shinto and Buddhism are the two main religions of Japan and are very intertwined, though I hope that everyone knows that already) to forgive her for the sins she's about to commit in this state (some people will probably find that relatable, but I know for sure that one of the NishiNOsters didn't, hence the low score). The man isn't that bothersome on the song, and it would be hypocritical of me to drag him as I happen to love such men-riddled songs as Ryuukou and Togatta Teguchi. What else? I think the song deserved better, and I didn't expect its sister to outlast it, but it just shows the divide between the seasoned Sheena fans and the bright-eyed new generation obsessed with gadgets, blah-blah-blah.

Curaga loves the song and sympathizes with the fans who were vexed by its inclusion on Sandokishi 4 years later but had to lower the score: "As much as I love it, I bumped it down a tier because it doesn't feel like it's at the same level as my other 10s.” AMIT was full of hope when the single got released, but then the album happened: "the outro is the best part, but I enjoy the song overall, a glimmer of hope amidst so much questionable releases during this period...” Ewan Chaos relates to the song for a different reason than I stated in the write-up: "Relatable (I'm neither God nor Buddha).”

Edited by Suilen
  • Like 5

Perched for meltdowns :gaycatina1:

• Haha 1

ok I'm sorry but this is tasteless behavior when the other abomination of an A-side is infinitely WORSE :rip:

bTD0xIL.gif

• Like 1

Oh wow, quite surprising to see this go but it didn't get many 10s either 

Just now, AMIT said:

ok I'm sorry but this is tasteless behavior when the other abomination of an A-side is infinitely WORSE :rip:

bTD0xIL.gif

No verão, as noites outsold 

379e0cfd64404397e441d011e5bc7ea58c62ea5b.gif

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, AMIT said:

bTD0xIL.gif

All I can say is - stay strong

Rn6iazR.gif

• Haha 1

Just now, Curaga said:

No verão, as noites outsold 

Preach 

• Thanks 1

Open Secret / 公然の秘密

himitsu.png

Score: 7,27 Album: Newton no Ringo ~Hajimete no Best Ban~ (Apple of Universal Gravity)

Big Sheensters: Curaga (10)

Little NishiNOsters: fauxtography (1)

Another song that I wasn't familiar with before the rate as I was in a weird place when it was released, and it got released after Sandokushi, which left a sour taste in my mouth, though I did check out the Utada collab, since it's, well, Utada, despite them disappointing me with Hatsukoi, too. Anyway, I gave it my first proper listen while I was putting the rate together, and it happened to come on after Mayonaka wa Junketsu, and I was perplexed by… the similarities in those songs. It's almost like Sheena remembered that she had this bomb-ass song that'd never been put on any album and said: "Well, let's try this one more time.” And the biggest fan agrees with me, so I'm not tripping! The original is obviously superior, but I guess that it's cute enough. The lyrics are kind of abstract, lots of mentions of different flavours… I guess it's a song about kinks? I also see something about trying not to be caught with a male prostitute… Miss Sheena, aren't you in a common-law marriage or something? Is it open? An open secret… Hmm… Much to think about.

mathekr drags the song and confirms my suspicions about the song being a re-tread: "She's cute, but we've heard this from Ringo to exhaustion.” Meanwhile, Curaga is a big fan: "Instant classic. So catchy and fun! 11 contender.” Someone make that Private Show copypasta already. Ewan Chaos finds some similarities with an iconic game: "The Nier Automata-ass cover, living for everything about this song.” Nier, sweetie. Twinning with AMIT for once: "video is camp, I love her look in it! the song itself is fine, but it's also basically a less good version of mayonaka wa junketsu so... kinda meh, but not bad!”

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kyle-x said:

Preach 

My bf has been playing it lately because he heard me listening to it and he loves it too :heart:

He gagged me when he said he likes Sheena more than Utada though since I know he's listened to Sheena way less than Utada, but I guess @Suilen would say the same 

5b00041d633e1e5ab80f57b65bdb0e602d26f767.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Curaga said:

My bf has been playing it lately because he heard me listening to it and he loves it too :heart:

He gagged me when he said he likes Sheena more than Utada though since I know he's listened to Sheena way less than Utada, but I guess @Suilen would say the same 

Play Distance for him, beast.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Curaga said:

Well, I'm not sure if I like Sheena better, I mean, I'd even host a Kana Nishino singles rate if there was demand, and people know how I feel about her.

• Haha 1

The production on this one is a serve, her songs where it feels like she drank 25 energy drinks on an empty stomach always hit

Edited by Kyle-x
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Subomie said:

Play Distance for him, beast.

Oh, I was playing the Can You Keep a Secret 4K video the other day and we were jamming :gaycatina1:

He's so partial to jazz that Sheena's jazz tracks are what won him over. Maybe if Utada put out an album of Open Secrets and Mayonaka wa Junketsus... 

2f464b833a4c51f8d3b94a57284888d12459d91c.gif

• Like 1

Je Suis Libre / 私は猫の目

nekonome.png

Score: 7,29 Album: N/A

Big Sheensters: mathekr, AMIT, confide in me (9)

Little NishiNOsters: Curaga (4)

Sheena's recent single (until the new one comes out in 10 days), and I can't figure out whether we've had some recency bias here, or the song got what it deserved. At first, I thought that there was no correlation between the French and the Japanese titles, but 猫の目 is actually an expression meaning 'fickle, changeable' as opposed to the literal translation of 'a cat's eye' (she did make it the cover still and made the video's twist about it), so while it's a bit different from 'free,’ I suppose that being free also implies some fickleness. When I first heard the song, she was saying something about astrology and triggered me, but after scanning the lyrics, I heaved a sigh of relief as she was actually dragging astrology believers (sorry if Sheena and I offended anyone). There's some clever wordplay with going on throughout the song, though it's a bit hard to grasp the message. Something about not falling into the routine, that would be in line with some other songs? I also caught a COVID reference (no, she's not anti-vax, she says that seeing a doctor is a virtue? My brain is short-circuiting). Anyway, I think that I prefer the b-side, but the main single is pretty good, too. It seems that these she's releasing singles that are connected by the same concept (CATS), so I feel optimistic about the album.

AMIT is surprised at the quality and glad that the meninist era is over: "was really not expecting this level of quality for her recent releases! but maybe collabing with millenium parade was the start of something special... that bridge! are we out of the trenches of male collab jingles for shopping malls for real? I sure hope so!”

• Like 4

Open Secret and Je Suis Libre are so great, the panned scores don't make any sense.

17 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Open Secret / 公然の秘密

himitsu.png

Score: 7,27 Album: Newton no Ringo ~Hajimete no Best Ban~ (Apple of Universal Gravity)

Big Sheensters: Curaga (10)

Little NishiNOsters: fauxtography (1)

Another song that I wasn't familiar with before the rate as I was in a weird place when it was released, and it got released after Sandokushi, which left a sour taste in my mouth, though I did check out the Utada collab, since it's, well, Utada, despite them disappointing me with Hatsukoi, too. Anyway, I gave it my first proper listen while I was putting the rate together, and it happened to come on after Mayonaka wa Junketsu, and I was perplexed by… the similarities in those songs. It's almost like Sheena remembered that she had this bomb-ass song that'd never been put on any album and said: "Well, let's try this one more time.” And the biggest fan agrees with me, so I'm not tripping! The original is obviously superior, but I guess that it's cute enough. The lyrics are kind of abstract, lots of mentions of different flavours… I guess it's a song about kinks? I also see something about trying not to be caught with a male prostitute… Miss Sheena, aren't you in a common-law marriage or something? Is it open? An open secret… Hmm… Much to think about.

mathekr drags the song and confirms my suspicions about the song being a re-tread: "She's cute, but we've heard this from Ringo to exhaustion.” Meanwhile, Curaga is a big fan: "Instant classic. So catchy and fun! 11 contender.” Someone make that Private Show copypasta already. Ewan Chaos finds some similarities with an iconic game: "The Nier Automata-ass cover, living for everything about this song.” Nier, sweetie. Twinning with AMIT for once: "video is camp, I love her look in it! the song itself is fine, but it's also basically a less good version of mayonaka wa junketsu so... kinda meh, but not bad!”

glad this one is out. :clap3:

not surprised a certain person is stanning

bTD0xIL.gif

• Haha 2

As much as I love cat obsessed singers, I'm okay with this being out now since there are so many smashes left 

Edited by Kyle-x
  • Like 1

I also caught a COVID reference

Have you ever caught COVID btw @Curaga? asking for a friend

bTD0xIL.gif

The next song is a collab. Could the festival song finally be out and spare AMIT from misery? Or could it be NAKATA? The uncredited guy on Ryuukou? I haven't finished the write-up for it yet, so I'll let you all try figuring that one out.

2 minutes ago, Suilen said:

The next song is a collab. Could the festival song finally be out and spare AMIT from misery? Or could it be NAKATA? The uncredited guy on Ryuukou? I haven't finished the write-up for it yet, so I'll let you all try figuring that one out.

Stop the count if it's either of the first two

bTD0xIL.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AMIT said:

Have you ever caught COVID btw @Curaga? asking for a friend

bTD0xIL.gif

Yes, twice, despite being fully vaccinated before both contractions :gaycat7:

The last time I had covid, in September, was why I even joined ATRL in the first place because I was cooped up in bed quarantining with nothing to do but stream Tension

much to your chagrin asdfhapiosdujpao I'm so sorry 

1 minute ago, Curaga said:

Yes, twice, despite being fully vaccinated before both contractions :gaycat7:

The last time I had covid, in September, was why I even joined ATRL in the first place because I was cooped up in bed quarantining with nothing to do but stream Tension

much to your chagrin asdfhapiosdujpao I'm so sorry 

I am sorry for that sis, I guess your taste buds have been explained though

bTD0xIL.gif

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, AMIT said:

I am sorry for that sis, I guess your taste buds have been explained though

bTD0xIL.gif

LMAO

ayumi-hamasaki-utada-hikaru.gif

41 minutes ago, Suilen said:

God, nor Buddha / 神様、仏様

kamisama.png

Score: 7,2 Album: Sandokushi

Big Sheensters: mathekr (10)

Little NishiNOsters: gingguu, Maresia (4)

Wow, tons of memories related to this song. It basically made me think, hmm, this woman is kinda cool, let me get into her properly (at that point I was mostly familiar with Tokyo Jihen, being an indieheaux and stuff), though there was also some influence from the biggest fan, who had an avi from the video once. I was really mesmerized by the whole concept, by the traditional vibe that stands in contrast to the sister single 'No verão, as noites' with its modernity emphasized by autotune, which I hope was an intentional choice on her part, despite the jingle nature of both songs. I also adore the video, where she gave us both a witch and an aristocrat. I tried parsing the Japanese lyrics, but they were too vague and antiquated for me, so I swallowed my pride and found an English translation, which was also all over the place, but at least I could gather that she must be in some altered state of mind and begs both Shinto gods and Buddha (Shinto and Buddhism are the two main religions of Japan and are very intertwined, though I hope that everyone knows that already) to forgive her for the sins she's about to commit in this state (some people will probably find that relatable, but I know for sure that one of the NishiNOsters didn't, hence the low score). The man isn't that bothersome on the song, and it would be hypocritical of me to drag him as I happen to love such men-riddled songs as Ryuukou and Togatta Teguchi. What else? I think the song deserved better, and I didn't expect its sister to outlast it, but it just shows the divide between the seasoned Sheena fans and the bright-eyed new generation obsessed with gadgets, blah-blah-blah.

Curaga loves the song and sympathizes with the fans who were vexed by its inclusion on Sandokishi 4 years later but had to lower the score: "As much as I love it, I bumped it down a tier because it doesn't feel like it's at the same level as my other 10s.” AMIT was full of hope when the single got released, but then the album happened: "the outro is the best part, but I enjoy the song overall, a glimmer of hope amidst so much questionable releases during this period...” Ewan Chaos relates to the song for a different reason than I stated in the write-up: "Relatable (I'm neither God nor Buddha).”

Whoa... Even as a Nagaku Mijikai Matsuri truther I'm shocked, this is leagues above it in quality.

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.