Watchdog wants mass benzoyl peroxide product recall for cancer-causing benzene levels

Vermillion

I haven't seen the numbers, but with previous contamination cases, it wasn't enough benzene in the products to cause real harm. You're actually exposed to far more benzene from car exhaust and other air pollutants. These products are being recalled likely as a precaution. Hopefully it can be discovered how these products are being contaminated.

• Like 4

Where’s my class action suit payout? 14-year-old me demands it! 

Not again :deadbanana2:

This is a scandal tbh 

Let's talk about benzene in sunscreens then :coffee2:

10 minutes ago, Smarticle said:

Let's talk about benzene in sunscreens then :coffee2:

Many of those were already pulled though. Not enough, but that’s a separate conversation…

2 hours ago, Miss Show Business said:

I haven't seen the numbers, but with previous contamination cases, it wasn't enough benzene in the products to cause real harm. You're actually exposed to far more benzene from car exhaust and other air pollutants. These products are being recalled likely as a precaution. Hopefully it can be discovered how these products are being contaminated.

Except they explicitly note in this news release that the levels of benzene in the benzoyl peroxide products were exponentially higher than in the past recalls for things like sunscreen. The levels aren’t even in the same ballpark.

is this region specific - cuz all my skincare comes from korea and idk whats in it tbh

34 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Except they explicitly note in this news release that the levels of benzene in the benzoyl peroxide products were exponentially higher than in the past recalls for things like sunscreen. The levels aren’t even in the same ballpark.

If that's the case, then hopefully brands recall these products and instruct people to dispose of them. It seems to be a big problem in personal care products - I hope they can nail down a cause and fix it so this doesn't keep happening.

I just used one of these products in the shower 😨

26 minutes ago, Hallad173 said:

I just used one of these products in the shower 😨

And you washed it off within seconds which means absolutely nothing will happen to you.

"Watchdog" is all I needed to hear. BP has been used for decades and NOBODY has gotten cancer from it. :ahh: These watchdogs see an ingredient they do not like and freak out without knowing the context.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.