Aya Nakamura's tweet goes viral | Olympic Games' racism controversy in France

Mokichi

I like some of her songs but yeah she's no Beyoncé or Rihanna. People complain more about the poor lyrics of her songs than her skin color

Maybe they should have picked Christine and The Queens but then the transphobes would have complained

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mokichi

• Squall

• Raiden

• Yudelkis

the amount of hate she receives is absurd……

here in France there seems to be a clear divide between the youth who can’t get enough of Aya’s music and the older generation who keeps on criticizing her whenever they get the chance (and most of the time those critics are racially charged) :coffee2:

so I hope she says yes to sing at the opening ceremony and shows those old crumbs that she’s ruling the french music scene and she’s not going anywhere :cm:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's absurd to demand "real French" singer to represent them. Who would that be?

The best ones are these, and none of them are "French" that way lol

PZf7ng5.png

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, campelo said:

replace her with angele :clap3:

shes not french and an awful performer  

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, campelo said:

replace her with angele :clap3:

Add Stromae :clap3: and then move the stadium to the neighbouring country :clap3:

• Haha 1

mother getting the ugly racists mad as usual :clap3:

13 minutes ago, Cain said:

Add Stromae :clap3: and then move the stadium to the neighbouring country :clap3:

exactly and add fever on the setlist for the international appeal

45 minutes ago, Raiden said:

It's absurd to demand "real French" singer to represent them. Who would that be?

PZf7ng5.png

Je m'appelle Funny Bear :rip:

• Haha 2

I like that she was chosen for the Olympic Games. The other option that I would have loved is Mylene Farmer. She could have come up with something really amazing, especially considering how much of a spectacle her shows can be. But Aya is a voice for the younger generation that is much more needed than most other options that might have been considered. I'm very pleased by it.

But I also don't understand why they want her to sing Piaf. Their vocal and musical style have absolutely nothing in common. It would be jarring imo. Let her do a show with her own songs, which are mostly immaculate bops and will finally give an image of France that isn't the pretentious snob **** we're known for. 

I saw her on tour last year and had a blast. Just let her do that. 

• Like 3

Her music is sh*t

The Piaf thing is honedtly a non sense because it just doesn't make any sense musical wise specially at such an event like the Olympics. She should be in there as part of the ceremony and sing DjaDja and Copines :gaycatina1: It would be a great segmento to showcase France's current musical landscape and as a segway for the modern segment of France in the ceremony plus everyone would bop

I love Aya’s music and the fact she makes everyone so mad, the only thing is she’s not the most amazing performer so she better REHEARSE 

Also I reckon she’s not gonna be the only artist performing? So why is everyone so mad?

6 hours ago, Galaxy said:

What did she do?

She is a very pretentious and self-centered woman. She has a nasty attitude with other celebrities and also with the public. Just very disrespectful and vulgar in general. She’s literally a french version of Mrs Minaj. Recently she has also been found guilty of domestic violences against her ex. 

2 hours ago, Cotton said:

It’s not surprising since that demographic has always had it out for her from the JUMP. Her being the biggest female singer in France and one of the most global names from France if not the most global as of recently definitely has people pressed. 

Not gonna act like she’s the most talented artist ever but it’s clear that majority of this hate is stemming from racism.

Exactly.

She was hated from the start. The resentment against her predates any celebrity incident involving her ever happened. Boomers just didn't like the fact that their crusty stale mediocre faves were getting increasingly ignored by the nextgen music fans who went in record numbers to stream/download Aya.

these ppl that act like theyre post-racial are always racist af, it's just a veneer of acceptability

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Raiden said:

PZf7ng5.png

lmao the way no one is checking 4 them

Aya is Muslim, black, African, from an immigrant family etc…of course French white men will hate on her. I’m not surprised. France has devolved even more than before with all these racists and xenophobes. 

also do they know that Edit Piaf was half Moroccan? Are they going to say she ain’t part of French history because of it? 

Edited by IBeMe
  • Like 5

if anyone is shocked, then you don't know France... It's probably the most racist country in Europe.

racism sadly has been following aya for a very long time 

she's so strong and i'm so proud of her :heart2:

• Like 1

They can fume and stay mad and racist.

Aya is winning and she's here to stay, no matter how hard they fume

ezgif.com-optimize(1).thumb.gif.ac24373b 

• Like 5

On 3/6/2024 at 11:05 PM, Erreur2 La Nature said:

Are there moderators on ATRL ? Because this thread is the ultimate definition of a fan-fiction and has nothing to do in Celebria :deadbanana2:

First of all there's no controversy. Basically 95% of the population in the country agrees that it is a really strange choice. Her music is disliked by everyone and she has one of the nastiest behavior you could imagine.

Is this the so-called racist fan-fiction? :clack:

Because it looks very much like real racism to me idk

I am here for Aya and Hypé would be lit at this kind of occasion, so I am not sure why she wouldn’t be doing it with her own set. She has bops for days. Very rhythmic, very chill, but thumping. :clap3:

1 hour ago, playboi said:

Is this the so-called racist fan-fiction? :clack:

Because it looks very much like real racism to me idk

If Twitter account "Nakamura Supermacy" claims it then :snowman:

À lot of things can be true at the same time. I think she receives a lot of criticism that is racially charged however people saying they don't understand what she's saying is factual. I don't understand what she says in her songs most of the time and I have no problem with her. She sings more in argot / slang language that young people understand, most of us over 25/30 do not. And that's also OK, it clearly means that she's the voice of a very popular part of France that has been expressless and under represented so far. 

But yes, disliking her is one thing but the vitriol she gets is far above those received by Lorie or other popular French singers who were considered trash. 

I also think asking her to cover Edith Piaf is a big set-up! It's so different from what she represents or what she is. And considering how hated she is, an icon as beloved by conservatives sung by her is just wanting her to be mocked and humiliated. 

Edited by BnPac
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.