• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mokichi

• Squall

• Raiden

• Yudelkis

8 minutes ago, Squall said:

She's talentless and her music is awful, which is what most people say, but ofc OP is going to lie about it. Are there people being racist towards her? YES but the majority of the criticism has nothing to do with it. :rip: 

Lie about what ? Did you just not read what I wrote ? You say "She's talentless and her music is awful, which is what most people say"

I wrote on my post: "Because she uses a lot of slangs in her music, they say literally "no one understand her songs, it's not even French", that she is talentless and can't sing while comparing her to Edith Piaf (which makes no sense). "

And YES the majority of critiscim have to do about racism, I'm not expecting YOU to understand this because you hate her since Day 1.

I'm highlighting the institutional racism here but all you care is saying "we can say we don't like her music and not be racist", that is basically the defense mechanism of all the racists criticizing her on national tv :rip: 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mokichi said:

Lie about what ? Did you just not read what I wrote ? You say "She's talentless and her music is awful, which is what most people say"

I wrote on my post: "Because she uses a lot of slangs in her music, they say literally "no one understand her songs, it's not even French", that she is talentless and can't sing while comparing her to Edith Piaf (which makes no sense). "

And YES the majority of critiscim have to do about racism, I'm not expecting YOU to understand this because you hate her since Day 1.

I'm highlighting the institutional racism here but all you care is saying "we can say we don't like her music and not be racist", that is basically the defense mechanism of all the racists criticizing her on national tv :rip: 

No it doesn't, you're literally using right-wing figures as examples to back up your argument but the truth is majority of people on social media (Twitter mostly) are talking about her music, not her. You will basically pull up the race card every time her talent is being discussed... just like all of her fans. As I said, I NEVER said she wasn't being a victim of racism from some political figures but to say it's the biggest matter here isn't true.

• Thumbs Down 3

No offense but her music sucks and she can't sing like THAT:rip: Is she really the best artist France has to represent itself at such an event? Where are their legendary singers?

This whole thing feels like a set-up and the fact that the president suggested she sings Edith Piaf, like what? It's like asking Cardi B to sing Aretha at the presidential inauguration.

Edited by Mandalore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Squall said:

No it doesn't, you're literally using right-wing figures as examples to back up your argument but the truth is majority of people on social media (Twitter mostly) are talking about her music, not her. You will basically pull up the race card every time her talent is being discussed... just like all of her fans. As I said, I NEVER said she wasn't being a victim of racism from some political figures but to say it's the biggest matter here isn't true.

Is the majority of Twitter broadcasted on live tv and national news to expose their opinion? Are they the one influencing political votes? Are they the one feeding racism every day in our country ?

" You will basically pull up the race card every time her talent is being discussed" such a tone deaf thing to say to minimize institutional racism and POC feelings.

Aya is clearly talented, she sings perfectly in live concerts and writes ALL of her songs. Just because it's not your taste do not allow you to say she is talentless. Saying this shows clearly that you are just hater and purely ignorant. 

Edited by Mokichi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

France has a history with racism, so this doesn't come as a surprise. 

It's still very present in the culture itself. 

10 minutes ago, Mokichi said:

Is the majority of Twitter broadcasted on live tv and national news to expose their opinion? Are they the one influencing political votes? Are they the one feeding racism every day in our country ?

" You will basically pull up the race card every time her talent is being discussed" such a tone deaf thing to say to minimize institutional racism and POC feelings.

Aya is clearly talented, she sings perfectly in live concerts and writes ALL of her songs. Just because it's not your taste do not allow you to say she is talentless. Saying this shows clearly that you are just hater and purely ignorant. 

Twitter is a major media, who cares about what CNEWS says? Of course Twitter is also being used as a platform to influence political votes/decisions, what year do you live in? :rip: 

As for the last part, considering how bad her songwriting is, I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here. She can write all of her songs... but if she writes them like a 5yo would, there's nothing to brag about.

Edited by Squall

Are there moderators on ATRL ? Because this thread is the ultimate definition of a fan-fiction and has nothing to do in Celebria :deadbanana2:

First of all there's no controversy. Basically 95% of the population in the country agrees that it is a really strange choice. Her music is disliked by everyone and she has one of the nastiest behavior you could imagine.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 13

9 minutes ago, Mokichi said:

Not familiar with her, but the fact that she or anybody really, writes their songs, is not automatically a sign of quality, you know. Songs can also suck real bad regardless if you have written them or not. 

They can stay mad

And instead of a cover, she should be doing a medley of her bops SB style

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, ontherocks said:

Not familiar with her, but the fact that she or anybody really, writes their songs, is not automatically a sign of quality, you know. Songs can also suck real bad regardless if you have written them or not. 

She won a "Female artist of the year" last month at Victoires de la musique which are the French equivalent of Grammys so whatever people opinions have on her music, it should be expressed respectfully. And again this is not the main focus of the thread, but it seems people prefer to shift their focus on other subjects, let it be then I guess.

FYI  her 3rd studio album AYA was reviewed by Pitchfork and got 7.6 out of 10.

Edited by Mokichi

Never heard of her but she's stunningly beautiful. France should be so lucky.

Fwiw I speak French and I can't follow a lot of her lyrics :michael:

Edith Piaf does sound like a weird choice for Aya to sing, but the pundits went overboard and showed their prejudice a bit.

It’s obviously racism. Piaf died almost a century ago and french music had its fair share of trash since at least the 80s, especially the chanson genre, so Aya just gets hate because she has afro rhythms and thumps most of the whites in the game commercially. Also a woman on top of that. When was the last time the french had a black female singer as an icon? Exactly. They hate to see it

• Like 2

Weird. Europeans say racism isn’t really a thing in Europe. And only Americans are obsessed with race. 

Surely it can’t be because she’s black. There has to be another reason. Right? 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Tropez said:

Weird. Europeans say racism isn’t really a thing in Europe. And only Americans are obsessed with race. 

Surely it can’t be because she’s black. There has to be another reason. Right? 

Tbh 

5 hours ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

and she has one of the nastiest behavior you could imagine.

What did she do?

The racism in France and Europe more broadly is gross and very pervasive. They just sweep it under the rug, pretend it isn't there, and that it's only an issue "America" faces or needs to deal with.

Typical racist french men behavior: fake ass pride — as if the greatest French language singers of both present and past are pure French blood. They were and are all foreigners. Edith Piaf herself was a Berber and Italian, Nicolas Reyes Spanish, Jacques Brel was a Belgian - so was Maurice Chevalier and Johnny Halliday - so is Sromae. Cali is Catalan, Aznavour (the French equivalent of Sinatra) was Armenian, Serge Gainsbourg was Russian-Jewish origin. Indila (the current era GOAT) is Algerian... and so on and so forth. Heck, even the famous French crooners and composers of the literally ancient middle ages (troubadours) were left over Moors from then Aarb-influenced South-France and Spain.

Edited by Raiden

I personally don’t care but she also serves the most bratty attitude. I don’t necessarily like her music but I won’t rage about her opening for the Olympics… she’s literally the biggest female French singer right now.

Also yeah it took me years to understand what she sings but it’s mostly the same issue I have with Ariana’s pronunciation 

France needs to get with the program, ils doivent cesser d’être des idiots racistes et ils devraient simplement y faire face.

France being racist? Oh wow never predicted that... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gov Hooka said:

France being racist is as sure as the damn sky is blue  

10 hours ago, State of Grace. said:

*pretends to be shocked* oh France...

10 hours ago, Zeferino said:

The French? Racist? :eli:

The crazy thing is that France used to be one of the least racist countries in the world.

African-Americans used to go there to escape racism in the early 1800s-early 1900s. Not sure what happened. :deadbanana4: 

• Like 1

It’s not surprising since that demographic has always had it out for her from the JUMP. Her being the biggest female singer in France and one of the most global names from France if not the most global as of recently definitely has people pressed. 

Not gonna act like she’s the most talented artist ever but it’s clear that majority of this hate is stemming from racism.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.